Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. My name is Phillip aka Reefkpr on Youtube and CC_Reefkpr on IG. I've been Reefing for 25 years but fairly new to keeping SPS. I also have a 58 Gallon Oceanic Reef that has been running consistently for 25 years and a 40 gallon Breeder Frag tank. I'm Retired and totally addicted to this this hobby. I planned on Documenting and creating a build thread from the beginning of this build, but time just slipped away from me. (Lazy). I've finally decided to start my build thread but kind of work in reverse and show you the progress along the way. My tank is a Red Sea Reefer 525XL and is Currently 1 year 9 months old. Everything was started from frags. I welcome feedback and try and read and respond to any questions. Appreciate everyone following along. Below is a full tank shot on 1/22/19.

Equipment:
Lighting:
3 ea. Ecotech Radion G4 Pros running Coral Labs AB+ extended at end of day for all blues. Overall intensity 50% Controlled with Reeflink

Flow: 2 ea. Maxspect Gyre XF-250's set to LTC mode at 60%

Return pump: Reef Octopus Vario S-8 Controlled with Apex at 75%

Heater: Ehiem Jager 300w controlled with Apex

Controller: Apex 2016 With Fire Tablet for display.

Nutrient export: AquaMaxx Q2 Skimmer and Santa Monica Rain 2 Algae Turf Scrubber.

Dosing Pump: GHL 2.1 Doser recently replaced 4 days ago with Vertex Calcium Reactor

Additives: Salt: Red Sea Blue Bucket. I was using AquaForest Reef Salt but had 2 bad batches. AquaForest Comp 1 2 3, ABVE, AF Life Source, AquaVitro Fuel, Kent Coral Vite,

Rock and Sand: Dry Pukani, Tropic Eden Mini Flakes.

Recent changes to dosing: Vertex Rx-C 6D Calcium Reactor, Aquarium plants CarbonDoser, Kamoer FX-STP Peristaltic pump. Reborn media mixed with Remag. Today is day 4 of it running.

I'll continue to post pictures of how I got to this point and look forward to your comments and questions. Happy Reefing! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Delivered: April 2017. Set in place. OH how I wish I was not on Carpet. Have to be extra careful.

Rock:
Ordered 120 pounds of Dry Pukani from BRS. Used about 70 pounds. Did a 24 hour Bleach Bath followed by Muratic Acid wash. Dry AquaScape in Garage. Rocks fixed together with AquaForest Stone Fix.

Jose86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I have a question are using the Kamoer to pull or push water into your calcium reactor? I’m about to setup a calcium reactor and been debating on ordering that pump.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I have a question are using the Kamoer to pull or push water into your calcium reactor? I’m about to setup a calcium reactor and been debating on ordering that pump.
I'm actually waiting on the Kamoer to show up. Tracking shows it arriving tomorrow. I'm currently using a Tom's Aqualifter to push or feed the Reactor. I'm going to start out by pulling through the Reactor and see how it works. I have heard that pulling through the Vertex reactor causes a bunch of noise but I'm going to try it. This is my first time using a Calcium Reactor and to be honest it's working perfect with the Aqualifter. Not sure I really needed to spend the money on the Kamoer, but I'm only on day 4 of using the Reactor. So far it's locked in and I have zero complaints. I'll post my results on the Kamoer, here on this thread.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Kamoer arrived today and I set it up to pull through the Reactor. Like I mentioned above there was lots of air noise. Since you no longer use the pinch valve with the Kamoer, I placed the pinch valve on the CO2 recirculation line and choked it down a tiny bit, problem solved. I'll continue to update results on the Vertex Reactor, Kamoer and pulling method on this thread. So far so good. If anyone has setup the Vertex and Kamoer pulling through the reactor, please leave feedback on noise and how you solved it. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on that Kamoer and the calcium reactor?
I'm working on a Youtube video. It has been running for 2 months and its been Rock solid. To be honest it's probably the best thing I've done to my tank in my 25 years of Reefing. I'm loving. it. Best stability I've ever seen!!!!!! I just started dosing AquaForest A B C trace elements as I was using the AquaForest method prior to switching to the calcium reactor and had really good results.

Back