Reeflo 12,000 daredevil submersible pump review

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I just today received a new pump that has not been around for very long or been reviewed to my knowledge so I wanted to give you all my impressions and open up this thread for any questions you might have that this review doesn't cover.

For starters this is an AC pump branded as "Reeflo" but not manufactured by them. They typically make external pumps and are an American company. The model I purchased was an 85 watt 12,000 l/h submersible or internal model. I previously owned and used a fluval SP6 which is an AC pump and a jebao dcp 10,000 which is a dc pump.

First a few pictures. The paper grid is in 2 inch squares so you can see this pump has about a 9" x 4" footprint allowing for the cord and inlet guard. The outlet is standard npt threading at 1.5" and comes with a barbed fitting. I installed this using the 1.5" barb fitting to flexible hose as I feel this mitigates vibration and noise. The total height is at 4-7/8" which was just an 1/8" shorter than the jebao dcp 10,000 it is replacing but I was still able to use the same hose section. One picture highlights the rubber "feet" in that they are flat bottomed and have a bit more cushion than others.

Firing it up...

The pump comes with a soft start feature so your not blasting air through your pipe which is nice and works well. The noise level is quiet but not as quiet as the Jebao I was using. Still, it is very quiet and my skimmer, water flow and air purifier that is in the other corner of my room are all louder. The sound is a very soft and very even whirring noise not at all abrasive or noticeable.

The reason I replaced my jebao was because my pump also feeds an aquac 180 skimmer and I wasn't getting enough backflow to my skimmer. The way my setup works I restrict the flow through two gate valves into my tank and the backpressure pushes more volume through my skimmer creating more flow and bubbles. The jebao did not have enough back pressure to handle this requirement even with the gate valves completely closed. Now I'm at roughly the same flow through my tank but bubble action is noticeably improved in the skimmer. My fluval sp6 had more power at 135W (50 more than reeflo) and could flood the skimmer if I wanted but at that time I didn't have flexible hose and everything was hard piped and I also didn't have my external overflow tuned properly so either the noise level of the water through the overflow was too high or vibration through the pipes was not acceptable. I probably would have been able to fix those issues in hindsight and have more flow and better skimming with the fluval sp6 but unless I see one used at a good price I believe the reeflo will meet my needs well. Also, running 50 less watts by comparison does save some operating costs.

In summary here are my final thoughts...

This is a relatively inexpensive pump that puts out decent flow with adequate pressure without too much noise at low wattage. It doesn't have a large footprint in my opinion so it should fit in most sumps and the rubber feet are better than others I have seen. If there was one thing I would change I would say the thickness of the pipe threading is a little on the thin side. This is not a concern I would just be careful about overtightening.

I recommend this pump for anyone in the 120 - 180 gallon tank range who doesn't need to have a top of the line pump and is looking to save some money on the pump and with lower operating costs.

Hope you found this useful.

20210706_180615.jpg 20210706_180649.jpg 20210706_175849.jpg 20210706_180818.jpg 20210706_180755.jpg 20210706_180951.jpg 20210706_183149.jpg 20210706_181255.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar. Impeller is a little different and the threading is thinner but form factor and box for sure tells you it's coming from similar supply base. Having a US based recipient doing quality control and re-badging I think will be a plus.

OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no. The pump ran into an issue where it would shut off after about two minutes. After unplugging and waiting a minute or so it will turn on when plugged in again but then shut off after about two minutes of running.

I think there must be an overheat / auto shut off or something like that in case of a jammed impeller or other issue as a safety but the safety is malfunctioning. For what it's worth the supplier did send a replacement item no charge so the customer service and warranty were as I would have hoped. I have not been running the replacement since I had a Fluval SP6 but truth be told I do want to get the other reeflo running again I preferred that pump for reasons previously mentioned. 45w of difference causes a noticeable increase in my electric bill and even if the pump were to last only 2 years I think the electricity savings would be worth it.

Having a pump stop working without a backup however is a different story that I wouldn't risk. If I were to replumb my tank and sump I would probably have two smaller return pumps just for the redundancy.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back