ReefMagnet's New Build RS Reefer XXL 750 V3

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Fellow Reefers and welcome to my Reefer XXL 750 V3 build. A little bit about myself: I have been in the hobby for 2.5yrs and joined R2R in Jan 2021. I love to collect high end acro, torch and goni. My first system is SPS dominated Reefer 250 which I started 2.5 yrs ago. This system started to take off about a year ago and now I am dealing with coral warfare and my tangs are also outgrowing the system (oh boy these guys do eat a lot and grow fast). With that being said I was able to convince my wife to upgrade to Reefer XXL 750 this Black Friday so here we go. Equipments:
Reefer XXL 750 V3 white cabinet with slide out control panel
1. Apex EL + Trident
2. Mechanical Filtration: Clarisea SK-5000 + Reef Octopus Regal 250INT Skimmer + Waste Collector
3. Lighting: 3x Radion G5 Blue (might add 2x A360x if I start to miss Kessil shimmering from my current system)
4. Return pump: Sicce Syncra SDC 7.0
5. Wavemaker: 2x MP40, 2x MP10 (might add 1x MP60 down the road)
6. UV sterilizer: Pentair Aquatics Smart UV 40 Watt + Sicce Syncra 4.0
7. Heater: 2x BRS 600W Titanium (one for display and one for the sump)
8. Heater Controller: Inkbird ITC-308S (display), Apex (sump)
9. ATO: Tunze 3155
10. Dosing: K1 Kalk Stirrer + Apex DOS
11. Rocks: Caribsea 80% dry live rock + 20% mature rock from my current system
12. Sand: 60lbs Caribsea special grade
13. Lid: Clearview Pisces EXO

Tank finally arrived 2 days ago and I am getting ready to start cabinet assembly. Will be sharing progress and aquascape design later this week. Follow along and give me your inputs :)

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great setup. Post some photos
1639594679243.png

1639594703547.png

1639594744506.png

1639594800325.png

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from the San Mateo/Palo Alto area but I'm currently living in Merced, CA in between Fresno and Modesto because I go to school at UC Merced. Have you checked out Cali Kid NorCal in Concord?

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from the San Mateo/Palo Alto area but I'm currently living in Merced, CA in between Fresno and Modesto because I go to school at UC Merced. Have you checked out Cali Kid NorCal in Concord?
yup I have been to Calikids Concord store to pick up live sales items a few times. I like their torch collections. I got HG, rasta and rare Malay torches from them actually. They have live sales this weekend btw

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup I have been to Calikids Concord store to pick up live sales items a few times. I like their torch collections. I got HG, rasta and rare Malay torches from them actually. They have live sales this weekend btw
I have yet to check out that store. I'm gonna be in LA for christmas so I'm gonna pop by Whittier haha

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 750 club!! Check out Manny’s reef as well, he’s filled and about to get going. We’re working on dry aquascaping at the moment with the 750.

I wasn’t clear in the beginning whether this tank required 2 return pumps or not but we went with 2x sicce 9.0’s. Hope we didn’t over-buy!

Clarisea! I was almost sold on it but was a little hesitant on modifying my brand new sump to fit it. What got me though is that people with this tank and that unit report the rolls last about 4 weeks. If true, that’s almost half a grand per year on filter floss which I just couldn’t stomach.

Have you decided on a scraper? Manny is reporting the Flipper Max barely holds onto the glass.

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the 750 club!! Check out Manny’s reef as well, he’s filled and about to get going. We’re working on dry aquascaping at the moment with the 750.

I wasn’t clear in the beginning whether this tank required 2 return pumps or not but we went with 2x sicce 9.0’s. Hope we didn’t over-buy!

Clarisea! I was almost sold on it but was a little hesitant on modifying my brand new sump to fit it. What got me though is that people with this tank and that unit report the rolls last about 4 weeks. If true, that’s almost half a grand per year on filter floss which I just couldn’t stomach.

Have you decided on a scraper? Manny is reporting the Flipper Max barely holds onto the glass.
Hi there and thanks for warm welcome! Oh yea definitely will check Manny thread. I am filled as well :). Started tank cycle 3 days already. Will share some pics later.
One sicce 9.0 return pump should be sufficient as recommended GPH for 750 is between 1900 (from BRS) and 2600 (from Redsea). 2 separate return pumps are better in case one pump is not working. I am currently running one sicce 7.0 only at 80%. Will add 2nd one down the road. I think 2x 9.0 sicce at max speed might be overkill.
For Clarisea I decided to return it today and wait for Redsea Reefmat 1200 coming next spring instead. RS just announced it yesterday. There’s a thread in R2R as well. Check it out if you have not. Lots of cool features and seems easy to swap out fleece rolls. Still need to modify filter sock chamber for the placement though.
And for scraper I currently use Tunze care on my RS250. Plan to use it for 750 as well but have not tried out as there’s not much to clean yet.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and thanks for warm welcome! Oh yea definitely will check Manny thread. I am filled as well :). Started tank cycle 3 days already. Will share some pics later.
One sicce 9.0 return pump should be sufficient as recommended GPH for 750 is between 1900 (from BRS) and 2600 (from Redsea). 2 separate return pumps are better in case one pump is not working. I am currently running one sicce 7.0 only at 80%. Will add 2nd one down the road. I think 2x 9.0 sicce at max speed might be overkill.
For Clarisea I decided to return it today and wait for Redsea Reefmat 1200 coming next spring instead. RS just announced it yesterday. There’s a thread in R2R as well. Check it out if you have not. Lots of cool features and seems easy to swap out fleece rolls. Still need to modify filter sock chamber for the placement though.
And for scraper I currently use Tunze care on my RS250. Plan to use it for 750 as well but have not tried out as there’s not much to clean yet.
Well let us know how the scraper performs on the thicker glass, heard good things about Tunze scrapers but magnets are magnets. Looking to purchase by 12/31 because of a $10 BRS coupon.

Yeah redundancy was part of my thinking. My thinking is 2 pumps at 30-60% should last a lot longer than 1 running full tilt. Plus pumps never perform to their rated capacity IRL. But I also wasn’t sure if this tank came plumbed for 1 or 2; turns out there are fittings for both arrangements (posting this for any newcomers with the same question).

I did see the Red Sea announcement but the replacement rolls still cost $30. If they actually do last 8 weeks that’s a fair deal ($200/yr). But if not…I just don’t know. Also, didn’t see anything about compatibility or what sump adjustments are needed for x tank. But I’m keeping it as a potential option down the road. Just going to move forward with stock setup for now (filter cups).

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care works on RS750 3/4" glass...I just tried. Its actually easier to clean as magnet definitely feels weaker here compared to my RS250.
1640209109169.png

Agree...I would definitely go with 2 pumps as well.

Check out compatibility chart below for RS ReefMat. 1200 version is compatible with 750 and sock holder removal is recommended but not required. Have to wait til next year for RS to provide us with details.
1640209510844.png

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its day 4 of tank cycling. Ammonia is 0 and nitrate is 5 :). I am so surprised it cycled that fast. First time tried MicroBacter7 for RS750 and love it so far. My first tank RS250 took 2 weeks with Dr. Tim bacteria. Will continue to dose MicroBacter7 and monitor for ammonia spike but I guess I can throw in a clown tomorrow.
1640221072716.png

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze care works on RS750 3/4" glass...I just tried. Its actually easier to clean as magnet definitely feels weaker here compared to my RS250.
1640209109169.png

Agree...I would definitely go with 2 pumps as well.

Check out compatibility chart below for RS ReefMat. 1200 version is compatible with 750 and sock holder removal is recommended but not required. Have to wait til next year for RS to provide us with details.
1640209510844.png
So you're not losing the inside end of the scraper?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi there - not sure what you mean by inside end
There are two pieces to the magnet. One goes inside. The other outside. Typically we don't lose the outside end because we have it in our hands. The inside however, comes off and floats away. Is this not happening to you?

OP
OP
ReefMagnet

ReefMagnet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two pieces to the magnet. One goes inside. The other outside. Typically we don't lose the outside end because we have it in our hands. The inside however, comes off and floats away. Is this not happening to you?
the inside end still attaches to the glass and does not float away like in the pic. This scraper is designed for glass thickness 0.8" to 1".

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back