ReefQueen's 90 Gallon Rescue Reef

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formerly “ReefQueen’s 90 gallon transfer”. The tank has sort of become a shelter for “deformed” fish. I’ve always had a soft spot for these types of animals, I love to see them overcome their handicaps to live a perfectly normal life, I think they have more personality too!

Here we go. As promised I am going to start a thread for the 90 gallon. I am calling this a "transfer" instead of a "build" because, as you can see, there was not really much building going on. Instead, due to the circumstances, I ended up with a haphazardly thrown together tank that turned out looking ok so far;)

Let's start this story a few weeks ago. I was sitting in front of my 45 cube as usual, just enjoying my personable fish and growing corals when I happened to notice the bottom of the stand was looking a bit off. Ok more then a bit...
20160624_101607.jpg

I guess I was so occupied with what was going on in the tank, that I didn't notice what was going on with the bottom. I couldn't figure out where the damage was coming from since I was always very careful with my water changes, and wiped up any water that may have spilled immediately. I have since decided that it was from a few skimmer overflows that worked it's way from the inside out. Anywho I emailed marineland who basically said I needed to replace the stand immediately and I was SOL on getting any help from them on replacing a stand that has been in use for less then a year. Little did they know I had the exact stand from a friend's tear down sitting in my basement waiting on a frag tank. But did I really want to use it and run the risk of having a repeat or should I suck it up and have a custom stand made? Keep in mind marineland will only honor their warranty if the tank if it is on their stand. Cue serendipity. My good pal @waybad41willys found himself a sexy Redsea max and asked if I would be interested in the 90 he had set up at his shop! I will admit I was a bit hesitant at first because I had downgraded from a 75 because it was too much for me to handle with work and a baby. After some thought I figured what the hey, work is never going to go away, and said baby is now a somewhat independent toddler. Independent in the way that I can leave the room for more then 5 minutes without him bawling that is:/ Here is the tank set up at the shop, I hope I can do it justice!
2016-09-04-23-57-11.jpg

So you would think it would be as easy as picking up the tank and setting it up at home right? Not for me! Shortly after we had discussed me taking the tank I somehow managed to slice open my gum while eating a Philly cheese steak at the local reef clubs picnic (I am not blaming anyone but myself for not being able to properly eat, and it was totally worth it:p) don't ask how that even is possible. I just know I felt a pain and continued to stuff my face with wild abandon while ignoring it. The next day I was a bit uncomfortable, and the day after that I was in full blown agony. So 18 days of antibiotics, an urgentcare then ER visit, more dentist appointments then I care to remember and one surgery to cut out the stubborn infection later, I am almost back to eating normal foods. Luckily I am in very little pain now. Did I mention that in the midst of all this horribleness, the store I had been working at for 5 years closed. So I had to help tear down a store and then get transfered to another location and somehow convey to all my new coworkers that I am not a rude B, I just can't talk to them because it was too painful lol. Let's get back on track. August 16th was the day of my surgery, I had one day to heal before I was needed back at work, but even though my mouth was all stitched up I felt a million times better. I was lucky enough that my in laws wanted to take my son for a week starting on the 21st so I thought that would be a perfect time to get started on moving tanks, but there was a catch. I had been wanting to redo these awful floors in the kitchen for a very long time,
2016-09-04-23-56-15.jpg

and since the tank was going to be moved into the living room for the transfer what better time then that?! And I had a whole week of adults only to do it! So I set up a spare 20 long in the living room and moved everyone over in a few hours (I did almost kill myself tripping over a dog gate while running with a monti cap, but I'll leave the bruised legs and broken frag details out).
2016-08-23-03-08-03.jpg

So now it was time to start the floor, which should be a piece of cake with my sweet floor redoing skills. It was horrible! It took almost 5 days to fully complete, and it is peel and stick! Granted we had to pull up one layer of crappy floor (only to find crappier floor underneath)
2016-08-28-15-42-47.jpg

do some patching, plus our kitchen is huge, but still! I am so pleased with how they turned out though.
2016-08-28-15-38-38.jpg

2016-08-28-15-39-03.jpg

We had actually picked up the tank the day before the floors were even done and just kind of squeezed around it since it was in the hallway lol. Are you still reading? If so this is were the fun really starts because I had to have this tank up and running before my son got home on Sunday, which left me 2 days (spoiler alert, I didn't get it done in time)! We scrapped the blue paint off the back and slapped on a black background. I just prefer black over blue myself. I would have preferred to paint it, but time didn't allow it. We got the tank on the stand and plumbed. Then I started filling it up with water and vinegar to run overnight. Somehow I had forgotten the overflow drain pipe at the shop, but I just left it and listened to a waterfall all night lol
2016-09-04-02-15-16.jpg

I got up early before work the next day (Saturday) and scrubbed until I got everything but some stubborn spots on the overflow off. I then ran to the shop for the pipe, then the store to get my oolite, came home and dumped it in and went to work. That's right, I didn't even rinse it! Hubby was in charge of making RODI water for me and throwing in salt while I was a work because I hadn't even started making RODI until the night before lol. So I get home from work that night and start pumping water from the brute cans into the tank. Finally I have enough to start the pump, but I forgot I had the returns pointed up so sprayed water all over my walls lol.
2016-09-04-02-14-38.jpg

I had to be up early for work so I dumped a bottle of bacteria in and went to bed while the sand settled overnight. After work we had to pick our son up, so I was officially past my time limit. My solution to keep him from messing in the sump of the open stand was to use his old baby play yard to go around the tank which was holding all my fish and most of my corals. This did keep trucks and crackers from ending up in the sump, but made it interesting to work in the tank lol. It was too late to do anything with the tank that day and work made most of the next day useless also, but the tank had cleared. My background has also fallen victim to the return spray.
2016-09-04-02-16-25.jpg

I had to find a way to get the bubbles out without being able to reach behind the tank, but I managed:)
2016-09-04-02-04-02.jpg

At this point I had an ammonia spike so I threw a bunch of my live rock in the sump. The next day my test kit and alert badge told me it was time to get this party started for realz.
2016-09-04-02-02-29.jpg

I also had just gotten a box of rocks from Billy's reef connection, which I highly recommend!
2016-09-04-02-03-26.jpg

So it was time to start playing with rocks! I really wish rubber gloves fit my baby hands, full use of my finger tips would have been helpful with the epoxy kneading:/
2016-09-04-02-01-26.jpg

Crap!
2016-09-04-02-00-59.jpg

After much cursing, and many hours I finally got a scape I am sort or happy with. I love how the right side turned out, the left not so much. I can live with it though. The only thing left to do is to start transferring over my livestock. So I loaded everyone up into buckets and started dripping. As that was happening I switched out the left light for my SB and set up the ATO. It was now almost 2 am so I plopped everyone in and watched for a few minutes before heading to bed. As I was brushing my teeth I got a feeling I forgot something, so I checked on the half full 20 still sitting in the living room and sure enough I found this guy
2016-09-04-02-00-33.jpg

hiding behind the overflow box! So another hour goes by while he drip acclimated, then he gets plopped in also. I was exhausted, so I went to bed then and woke up early to check on everything. With the exception of one of the anemones who can't decide where he wants to be, everyone is doing great and was out acting like they have lived there forever.
2016-09-04-11-54-14.jpg

2016-09-04-11-55-01.jpg

There is still sooooo much to do, such as wire management, wavemaker replacement, move over the rest of the corals, and obviously some new livestock to name a few. I am going to leave the equipment list out for now since it will be changing here and there. If you hung in there and read the whole way through, congrats and stay tuned. There will be more to come:)

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I just read all of that. I'm still wondering how you sliced your gums eating a Philly cheese steak? :)

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...I just read all of that. I'm still wondering how you sliced your gums eating a Philly cheese steak? :)

This is probably the longest thing I have ever typed. I said don't ask! Lol really I have no idea how I did it either. I felt a sort of rip when I took a bite, almost like when you stab yourself in the gums while eating tortilla chips, or am I the only person who does that too? Hahaha

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you're the only one who does that I think. :)

That's a really nice upgrade for sure, and the floor looks so much better! glad you remembered the shrimp.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you're the only one who does that I think. :)

That's a really nice upgrade for sure, and the floor looks so much better! glad you remembered the shrimp.
Haha well dang, maybe I just need to learn how to eat properly lol. Thank you, I am very pleased with how everything turned out. I am even more pleased that all if the relly hard work is over lol

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story!! I too am just getting over an infection in my mouth so I literally feel your pain! No fun!!! You guys did a great job with the floors, makes a big difference. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to make sure the returns were aimed into the tank when first starting it up lol. Nice work with the aquascape, looking forward to seeing the tang progress.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome setup! Looking forward to see what you do with all this extra space. ;)

Thank you, I plan on moving some more of my corals over today. My nano has been pretty full the past few weeks lol. That will still leave me with alot of room to fill though;)

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good! I like that aquascaping a lot.
Thanks, I am still on the fence about the left side. Maybe I just need to get used to it, because I am so over moving rocks around for a good while lol.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story!! I too am just getting over an infection in my mouth so I literally feel your pain! No fun!!! You guys did a great job with the floors, makes a big difference. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to make sure the returns were aimed into the tank when first starting it up lol. Nice work with the aquascape, looking forward to seeing the tang progress.
AHHHHH I'm sorry, mouth stuff is the worst! Thank you, and I am glad I am not the only one lol. I was so mad because I had sprayed water all over the floors too, which I was trying to avoid soaking the new floors:/

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a wise move to ditch the old stand before it came apart of failed, you dodged a bullet.

Impressive job with the aquascape, always the trickiest part of a new system. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a wise move to ditch the old stand before it came apart of failed, you dodged a bullet.

Impressive job with the aquascape, always the trickiest part of a new system. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Agreed. No more junky prefab stands for this girl, even if it does void the warranty! I am reaaaaally enjoying this gorgeous, sturdy, REAL wood stand. I am especially loving the height:) Thank you, I have done my fair share of aquascaping in my days, so I guess I am getting pretty decent at it now lol. I gotta say my favorite was the 45's, but the right side definitely turned out better then I hoped:) After staring at the tank all day today the left side is starting to grow on me:D

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... You didn't tell me that your whole health issue was from the cheese steaks! You should somehow totally sue that horrible marine aquarium society. That is totally what you should do!!!

Wait a second time, where are all the corals that I gave you? (at said hazardous picnic).

You should have called me, Jeremy and I literally could have stopped and done your tank on our way back from doing Greg's on Saturday. Speaking of, need some red mushrooms for the new tank?

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait... You didn't tell me that your whole health issue was from the cheese steaks! You should somehow totally sue that horrible marine aquarium society. That is totally what you should do!!!

Wait a second time, where are all the corals that I gave you? (at said hazardous picnic).

You should have called me, Jeremy and I literally could have stopped and done your tank on our way back from doing Greg's on Saturday. Speaking of, need some red mushrooms for the new tank?
Haha it didn't seem important, I could have just as easily done it at home with a pop tart or something stupid like that. But it is an idiotic way to end up needing surgery haha. I did say it was worth it though lol! I hadn't had a proper cheese steak in years! All the corals from you are now in the 90, with a few exceptions that stayed in the 8 gallon because it was looking empty after taking all the big stuff out. I still wanna know what those zoas are lol. They are now in both tanks. Don't worry, the monti cap I broke to pieces while tripping over the gate was one I got at LEAR. I hate to be a bother so I am used to doing most things on my own, I did have Ryan help with the heavy lifting though:D how about whenever we move i will give you a call;) that shouldn't be for a few years though because I want to finish school first. Shoot me some pics, I have some reddish shrooms already, but they could be different. Do you need any blue and purple shrooms? I have those and some purple ones taking over the 8 gallon.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...setting up a new tank while caring for a baby, dealing with a job transfer, a home improvement project and a cheesesteak injury...I'm exhausted just reading about it...I'm going to bed...

Haha when you sum it up like that it does sound like a lot. Unfortunately my life is always around this level of hectic, so I just roll with it at this point lol. Thanks for reading and good night:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice new tank looks awesome! Good job on the floor too!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back