Reefrocks.net

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't leech anything really that I know of. Just give em a good rinsing, maybe use brush to remove thicker spots, and just throw it in.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how much business hes gotten as a result of this thread?

saltines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was going to be my next question.. Did you guys just wash with hose? RODI bath? They do seem to carry alot of fine silt on them.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added mine to my tank. No rinse, no nothing. Kicked up a little dust but that's about it. Settled in about an hour or so.
The reef rocks are quite clean. You should not have any phosphate issues with them at all. I know many that have added them to existing systems as well with just a quick rinse in some WC water or rodi.

saltines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0267.jpg
IMAG0268.jpg

heres what i did with some quick scaping i think i will be needing to order another two boxes of rocks
This is going into a 180g tank and i dont think its quite tall enough

Pixburgh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a bucket of seawater (only cause i had some to use, otherwise i'd have just used rodi), dipped the rocks a few times, set them out in the sun and i dont see any more silt. They go into the tank tonight, water tomorrow so we'll see what the rock and sand kick up for me. I'll put a link to my build once i upload those pics so you visually see.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 120lbs of sand for him today. Can't wait to get it then I can fill the tank up and start the cycle.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefrocks Aquascape

Alright this is my scape. Whadaya think?

IMG_3249.jpg

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its taken me 2 weeks to get this far. I need to quit my job its cutting into my reefing time. But then I wont have any reefing money! Ohh what a paradox.:pout:

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am the epitome of patience. I started this threat back in December and its finally coming around! Ran into everything from cracked tanks to wrong equipment. Luckily nothing was rushed and had plenty of time to set it right.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's hard. At first I just wanted to jump right in there and throw in some fish, but all i have is two crabs and a snail lol. It's taking forever for the tank to cycle and for my water paremeters to clear up. Nitrates are the biggest issue. Your rocks look nice tho. You put a bit more thought into than I did. I just threw all mine in the tank and stacked them up. Now I can't seem to leave them alone and I'm always rearranging them. lol One of these days I'll end up smooshing something

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my first build I used wet live rock and I just threw it all in there. I regreted it ever since. It looks like a pile of rocks. I took my time with this one (Like 2 hrs) and still not completely satisfied, but I think its amazing to just let things cycle and watch it take its course.

saltines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice. How many lbs of rock do you have there? Is it all freely locked into place or are you planning on gluing them together? i sure hope you dont make my same mistake.. I made the mistake of doing my aquascape on the floor and not in the tank first. I gave up trying to recreate the same design i had on the floor, it was too difficult to try and "move" the same scape to the tank. Im debating on getting more rock for the DT. The scape seems low for my 180g but i want room for corals to grow in there too. Im also trying to evade building a rock wall. Ive been waiting about two decembers and my tank still hasnt seen water :[ I found it really helpful to stuff rubble from shipping into all the seams of the larger rocks. It gives it a more natural growth look instead of a stacked rock. This is my current scape.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is empty and you are just setting it up and getting started with no livestock I would just put the rock in the tank the way you want it and fill it up to start the cycle. Doubt there is much die off to worry about with the rock but would definitely start the cycle with it in the tank since it could still have a negative impact in an already established tank like starting a new cycle.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking nice. How many lbs of rock do you have there? Is it all freely locked into place or are you planning on gluing them together? i sure hope you dont make my same mistake.. I made the mistake of doing my aquascape on the floor and not in the tank first. I gave up trying to recreate the same design i had on the floor, it was too difficult to try and "move" the same scape to the tank. Im debating on getting more rock for the DT. The scape seems low for my 180g but i want room for corals to grow in there too. Im also trying to evade building a rock wall. Ive been waiting about two decembers and my tank still hasnt seen water :[ I found it really helpful to stuff rubble from shipping into all the seams of the larger rocks. It gives it a more natural growth look instead of a stacked rock. This is my current scape.

Thanks. That's about 100 lbs. For now its just stacked. Ive got some acrylic rods and epoxy I plan on using to secure them. After I had it all set up I stood there thinking "How am i going to get this same scape in the tank"! :frusty: I like the look of your caves. I think I am going to modify mine a little so i get more of a cave and not just tunnels.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice. In the future when I set up a new tank I'll be sure to get some epoxy and rods. Maybe I can copy off you lol. I didn't really know what to do at first so I just threw my rocks in there haha

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back