ReefSentinel’s 200g Mini Barrier Reef build.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Item 3, INSMA 433Mhz Wireless RF Switch Long Range DC 12V 4CH Channel Wireless
Another items for the break out box, an idea i seen on the Neptune forum.
Plan to use the remote to control different cycles, example feed, maintenance etc.
IMG_9426.JPG
I use that exact same Wireless Control Module in a different application for some electronic test equipment that I hand build and sell. Do be aware that while the relay modules have a fairly high current rating, and the module is advertised that same, the foil patterns on the pc board will NOT support that much current. I fix the problem by soldering solid copper wire jumpers across the contact leg foil patterns. If you don't reinforce the foil patterns and fuse the loads above roughly 8-amps, the foil will peel from the board before the fuse blows. The PC Board itself is the weak link in that module.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that exact same Wireless Control Module in a different application for some electronic test equipment that I hand build and sell. Do be aware that while the relay modules have a fairly high current rating, and the module is advertised that same, the foil patterns on the pc board will NOT support that much current. I fix the problem by soldering solid copper wire jumpers across the contact leg foil patterns. If you don't reinforce the foil patterns and fuse the loads above roughly 8-amps, the foil will peel from the board before the fuse blows. The PC Board itself is the weak link in that module.
Thanks for the heads up on the foil pattern, I will have to check this when I am up to wiring.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy week at work this week so aquarium work got pushed out to weekend.
Bulkhead is finished with final got a paint;Happy.
1591504313952.jpeg
DSC_8146.JPG

After many hours of drill and placing, placing & replacing I am happy to call the 1st stage of aquascaping complete for now.
I am sure small changes will be made, I have tried to ensure there was limited dry touching the ground for better water flow, enough caves and over hangs for fish and inverts to hang out & enough space for future corals to be placed while limiting the average height approx. 1/3 to 1/2 the height.
IMG_9251.JPG
IMG_9224.JPG

I ran out of the E-Marco-400 and the LFS only had the AquaForest Stone fix in stock so I can say I have used both, major differences
- E-Marco-400, I thought this was a little easier to use and it dry's more grey colour
- Aquaforest, dry's a medium brown colour, I think it takes a little longer to set compared to the E-Marc-400

If I had a choice again I would use the E-Marco, felt it stuck better however after a day or two both were very hard.
Colour wise - if you want a grey colour go E-Marco, brown colour go Aquaforest.

Now I was considering waiting and doing the aquascape in the tank, so glad I didn't & did what I knew was the right way, slower way be no scratches on the tank this way and everything is held together.

Now for the final product of many hours work.
IMG_9200.JPG

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to be amazing!! Your rockscape looks great too!! I saw the size you’re planning and I may have missed it but are you getting a custom tank made?

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is going to be amazing!! Your rockscape looks great too!! I saw the size you’re planning and I may have missed it but are you getting a custom tank made?

Plan is for 6t (l) x 2.5ft (H) x 2ft (d) custom built tank, being in Australia there some standard tanks available but generally not 2.5ft high.
I have spend the last few weekend talking to a few local tank builders, my mind is going back & forth between 2 builders, both a known to be good however 1 just does tanks and the other is LFS which when first opened was great but now the tank side is still busy but the shop side is rubbish.
I need to make a decision in the coming days as I have been quoted 5 &10wks lead time:confused: which I understand just I should have ordered 4 weeks ago.
I guess good thing about lead time is it gives me more time to think about its and reduces any urge to rush and miss things.
Bad side is it gives me time to rethink a few's plans,
Was going a stand glass sump, have seem a Australian Cust acrylic sump, cost 4 x as much but thinking long term this may be a better decision due to the following points
- Sump will have ATO section built in,
- It will come with lids and bulkheads, dosing ports, filter socks, sensor tree
- The refugium section will have a coloured wall which will assist with the refugium light only going where it is needed.
- It will look better but.
I drew up a rough sump when I was considering thinking glass
Glass Sump idea.jpg

Picture of sample acrylic sump from sump builder, I am sure all will agree after seeing the next pictures I should go acrylic, means over budget.;Facepalm
95370873_2286802578295299_3083467475472351232_n.jpg

90302649_2255578451417712_2790706368384860160_n.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow killer build thread and details!!!

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing station update,
So it took a few nights to make up the RODI water due to the low water pressure, night time was the only time I could get the pressure near 50 PSI, day time was only 40PSI at best.
I was also getting alot of water which was fine as it when to the water tank however the supplier of the RODI unit advised I would go through the resin very quickly resulting in wasting money.
This wasn't going to be quick enough in case I had the need to make water quickly so i ordered a RO BOOSTER Pump upgrade kit.
Once fitted I can how get around 110PSI pressure & one night can almost fill my tanks:)
IMG_9418.JPG
IMG_9354.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is now for the time being done, now time for the dry rock to get wet.

I started with approx. 66kg (145lbs) of dry rock to build the scape, ended up using approx. 45kgs (100lbs) in the aquascape.
Have the 45kg plus additional 6kg (13lbs) of other pieces i liked but could find a place to use all i large drum which has a pond liner which lines the inside and also acts as a cover.
Inside the drum I have a small heater, old pump connected to the center PVC riser & and old power head to circulate water from the bottom to the top and around.
Starting the process with a raw prawn placing in a small net bag.

Let the cycle begin.
IMG_9405.JPG

IMG_9403.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy week like normal at work, i think i need a 5 day weekend and a 2 day job.
Recap on the week
- Met with Tank builder, looks like a 6wk lead time on the Tank
- Sump builder has a 8weeks lead time
- Cabinet builder, approx. 4 weeks
- Frame hopefully 3-4 weeks (3 weeks if I push the job through the shop)

Cycling of rocks, so the rocks have been cycling for approx. 3mths
Over the 1st 6 weeks nothing but Ammonia show up on the APT test, note the rock had been dry for 12mths.
Around the 9-10 wks passed until Nitrite tested on the kit.
Nitrate appeared days after.
Now after 14wks I still have 5+ Nitrite, Nitrate at 20 and Ammonia at "0" from the APT test kit.

No water changes have taken place, not sure why Nitrate dropped from 40 down to 20 and why Nitrite hasn't dropped.
I have been ghost feed the rocks approx. 1/3 prawn once a week.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know

I was planning on doing a water change once I see the Nitrite drop to ) and Nitrate go 40+ ???
8-6-20 (1).JPG

Cycle Process 14-6-20.jpg

I found a great Aquarium Log excel program online to download, link as follows,
All credit to " MojaveReefer " for a great spreadsheet.

Cycle Process results 14-6-20.jpg

I have been using a neighbors saltwater levered Hydrometer which I knew couldn't be to accurate however as it was only the rock cycling I through it would be, after a few tests and my reluctance to get eye glasses i though I would buy a Milwaukee Digital refractometer.
This items is the best thing I have purchased to date, accurate, fast and easy to use, found the plastic levered hydrometer was out by 2 points.

Only odd thing is the temp reading works however at the moment I keep the unit in the garage where the Air temp is around 10-15deg at the moment, water is 25deg and the steel disc to too cold to accurately measure the water temp sitting in it.

Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer.JPG

So what next,
Busy trying of finish drawings of the frame/cabinet setup, once info back from tank builder I can finalize drawing and start construction of the frame and cabinets.
Decided to add a pull out shelve, still not 100% if its going to be in the way or not ;)

Unfortunately there seems to be a small pause on actual build happening however a lot of other stuff to work on.
Confirming equipment requirements, QT method, Fish list and filled order etc.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, still confirming details with Tank & sump builder however my builds are in the list to be built which is good.

Currently trying to confirm equipment details, from the get go I was always going Ecotech Lights & Power heads, had the schematic planned.
MP40QD - Neptune - Setup.jpg

Now after further researching and looking at the pro's & con's of each setup I think I have flipped & will go with Neptune WAV over the Eco-tech MP40QD's.

My Pro's for WAV
- WAV's seem to be more powerfull than then the MP40's (based on video & reviews)
- Will not need WMX Module
- Less Power point required for WAV
- More directional control with WAV over MP40
- Don't have the MP40 hanging on outside of tank.
- Better connection to Apex & control.
- Price, seems a touch less for the 2 WAV Pack over two MP40's
- can add 3rd WAV easily from additional 1 link.
- Can run COR20 from one link.

Negatives for WAV
- End up with Power head inside with wire, figure MP40 takes similar room and with directional control of WAV I can place WAV more in corner.
- With no WXM module will no have control, can still buy WXM if needed however not sure if I can still buy Gen4 lights to work with Apex and Gen 5 will not work with Apex so stuffed each way.
I think I have bad timing with the lights as Gen 5 would work with Apex & Neptune haven't released the new "Sky" range of lights so stuck in the middle :mad: .
- Have read the WAV not last very long, hoping Neptune have corrected the issues.

If anyone has there own thoughts of the two different setup please let me know - appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Wav- Neptune - Setup.jpg

Received my Avast Marine Break out boxes today, have read great review of them and from 1st inspection they seem good.
Avast Marine BOB.JPG

U

User1

View Badges
Update, still confirming details with Tank & sump builder however my builds are in the list to be built which is good.

Currently trying to confirm equipment details, from the get go I was always going Ecotech Lights & Power heads, had the schematic planned.
MP40QD - Neptune - Setup.jpg

Now after further researching and looking at the pro's & con's of each setup I think I have flipped & will go with Neptune WAV over the Eco-tech MP40QD's.

My Pro's for WAV
- WAV's seem to be more powerfull than then the MP40's (based on video & reviews)
- Will not need WMX Module
- Less Power point required for WAV
- More directional control with WAV over MP40
- Don't have the MP40 hanging on outside of tank.
- Better connection to Apex & control.
- Price, seems a touch less for the 2 WAV Pack over two MP40's
- can add 3rd WAV easily from additional 1 link.
- Can run COR20 from one link.

Negatives for WAV
- End up with Power head inside with wire, figure MP40 takes similar room and with directional control of WAV I can place WAV more in corner.
- With no WXM module will no have control, can still buy WXM if needed however not sure if I can still buy Gen4 lights to work with Apex and Gen 5 will not work with Apex so stuffed each way.
I think I have bad timing with the lights as Gen 5 would work with Apex & Neptune haven't released the new "Sky" range of lights so stuck in the middle :mad: .
- Have read the WAV not last very long, hoping Neptune have corrected the issues.

If anyone has there own thoughts of the two different setup please let me know - appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Wav- Neptune - Setup.jpg

Received my Avast Marine Break out boxes today, have read great review of them and from 1st inspection they seem good.
Avast Marine BOB.JPG

Nice work.

Regarding SKY - all we know is the name is registered / trademark. They touched upon it in the Feb 20 stream I think but didn't budge. I don't blame them. I was hoping it would be related to the knew coralcare / philips light but I guess not. I know one of the Neptune lads use their gen 1 lights with huge success and the gen 2 are due out maybe by end of year. I'm wondering if maybe it is a module rather than a light kit. Especially since Trident is the only 6 letter product and everything else is 3 (well, I guess that doesn't work since the Cor are pumps/products).

Ever consider going a DIY route until you know more about SKY or find another light?

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build is looking great! All the planning and drawings will help out a lot when you go to put this all together.
Thanks SeaMonkeys
Fingers cross the the main items should go together with little issues, i find if I can draw it then i can built it without issues and it allows me to think about how everything is going to work and see possible problems.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work.

Regarding SKY - all we know is the name is registered / trademark. They touched upon it in the Feb 20 stream I think but didn't budge. I don't blame them. I was hoping it would be related to the knew coralcare / philips light but I guess not. I know one of the Neptune lads use their gen 1 lights with huge success and the gen 2 are due out maybe by end of year. I'm wondering if maybe it is a module rather than a light kit. Especially since Trident is the only 6 letter product and everything else is 3 (well, I guess that doesn't work since the Cor are pumps/products).

Ever consider going a DIY route until you know more about SKY or find another light?
I am not holding my breath on "SKY" I am sure I will need to get something before they are released let alone released in Australia.
Thinking I will end up with radion's either Gen 4 or 5.
DIY Option - Great suggestion,
had a few thoughts about the DIY option however not having a lot of experience with lights I think I would more happy with something that works with all the options plus time is kinda short and the build is going to take my time.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
No major updates,
A lot of design work over the weekend and finalizing cabinetry plans for cabinet builder and tank frame.
Attached are pretty much the final general assembly designs.
21-6-20 Cabinet Assembly.jpg
21-6-20 Cabinet Assembly - Frame.jpg

21-6-20 Cabinet Assembly - Side Cabinet.jpg
21-6-20 Cabinet Assembly - Top Cabinet.jpg

Just finding now that this COV19 is causing some issues in Australia regarding supply chain of some of the items I require, hopefully I can track a shop here with what I require.
Dry rock (now wet) still cooking away, still have high Nitrite - not sure why Nitrate doesn't continue to rise and nitrite lower, I have time so happy for it to do its thing, may put some Nitrifying bacteria into the mix and see if this helps.

Cycle Process 21-6-20.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back