ReefSentinel’s 200g Mini Barrier Reef build.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update time.
Well I have good news for the built and bad news to update,
Tank was delivered during the week. "GOOD NEWS"
6256FC92-5575-439B-9556-AAFD55D2275F.jpeg
IMG_0011.JPG

Now for the bad news, :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
During this built I have had many small changes and things not go to plan however have always found a workaround, don't think I can do much with this.
During cleaning the glass I have found a scratch on the front panel and of course if is in the middle of the front panel.
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_E0044.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_E0045.JPG

how to speak to tank builder...
Tell them you didn't notice the scratch until it was in the right light/angle. Ask if they can buff it out, or replace. Big tanks aren't cheap, so unless you scratched it, they would hopefully work with you.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell them you didn't notice the scratch until it was in the right light/angle. Ask if they can buff it out, or replace. Big tanks aren't cheap, so unless you scratched it, they would hopefully work with you.
Spoke to tank builder, of course they believe the tank had no scratches however the inside & outside still had many small pieces of dried silicone on it and was not cleaned in any way.
I advised all I did was clean vertical panels with water / vinegar mixture to see where I had to use metho to clean the dried silicone.
The tank builder is going to come out and have a look at it, see where we go from here.

Just a disappointment, had taken time off over of Christmas break to finish the tank built as I have been waiting for the tank to finalize the plumbing.
Just another challenge i guess.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas All,
Build update, tank and scratch wise I spoke to a number to scratch repairers and they all recommended that as the scratch is on the inside they could repair it in the dry state and look ok however once water and lights were added you would still be able to view the repaired area, they advised not to repair the scratch.
Tank builder visited the 2 days ago and offered to replace front panel or rebuild tank which I think is going to be the best option it’s just going to take time due to Christmas and the general process.
Bad news out of the way due to visitors over Christmas I thought best to finish the cabinets off.
781BCD9C-5BD0-42CE-81AF-FF5095A921B6.jpeg

423BD3E8-8CE5-4DA1-B654-0CE83EF36119.jpeg

Plan now is to try to finish off wiring and get as much as of the small things done before the replacement tank arrives and I return back to work.
Connected under tank stand LED lighting, this will come on when any of the lower doors are opened.
FC4F9280-5CDC-4930-8DB8-439714797804.jpeg

7B0F78ED-F906-4BD2-B5D4-8E9104E86F8C.jpeg

I was considering starting the plumbing however best to wait for the replacement tank.
So the journey continues

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see the builder is going to replace it.
so far it's seems to be a good outcome, just a setback with timing as I had an extra week off over the Christmas break to finish the tank off which now does seem will happen for a good few weeks once everyone is back to work.
i will get there in the end.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New year all,
Update on the build.
Need to wait for a replacement tank which i guess will be a good few weeks.
Have started my fish collection.
1st Fish into the waterbox 20gal Qt is a Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus), approx. 1" - 1 1/2" in length only small.
Also purchased 2 x Redline cleaner shrimps however sadly :( lost one in the first 24hrs, I originally had the heater next to the overflow slots, when I added the fish and shrimps the shrimps hung out on the heater, guessing the last night one got a stuck in the flow and cold get off the slots.
IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

Existing invert QT tank is going well,
IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

1 of the Mini Hermit Crabs in turning into a monster, size wise it is 3 times the size of the other crabs.
IMG_0122.JPG

As the peppermint shrimps, snails and crab have been there for 100+ days they are ready for the DT once the new tank is made, once these guys are out I will put the redline cleaner shrimp in this tank and start copper treatment on the waterbox 20, hopefully by then I will have another 1-2 fish, Kole & yellow tang fingers crossed i can find small ones.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy working of the electrical / Apex setup.
Seen so many great "Apex display" boards setup here thought I would give it a go, i decided to mount the WAV 1link module away from the main Apex items in the top of the Canopy, this way it's only a short run to the WAV pumps which will allow me enough cable to on each pump to remove them for cleaning in a container.
Having the 1link mounting in the canopy also allowed to use a short Aquabus cable to the Neptune AFS which will be mounting on the light rail.
IMG_0129.JPG

Apex Display to have main Apex unit, COR20 Controller, PM1, FMM & Ipad (finally found a use for one of the kids old Ipad's, its a Gen 2, most apps don't work on it now however seems to work great with the Apex fusion website browser.
Was also going to put on the break out boxes (BOB's) but once they are I don't really need to see them and thought best to keep it simple.

Used the Apex templates & a piece of cardboard for trial positions.
IMG_0128.JPG

For the backing I am using 12mm (1/2") plywood and pine for framing surround.
IMG_0132.JPG

As I already have a LED strip and left overs from the understand lighting thought I put keep with the Apex display theme and add a little LED lighting.
LED are only sitting in position to get a idea of the look, once painted up it should look a little better.
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy working of the electrical / Apex setup.
Seen so many great "Apex display" boards setup here thought I would give it a go, i decided to mount the WAV 1link module away from the main Apex items in the top of the Canopy, this way it's only a short run to the WAV pumps which will allow me enough cable to on each pump to remove them for cleaning in a container.
Having the 1link mounting in the canopy also allowed to use a short Aquabus cable to the Neptune AFS which will be mounting on the light rail.
IMG_0129.JPG

Apex Display to have main Apex unit, COR20 Controller, PM1, FMM & Ipad (finally found a use for one of the kids old Ipad's, its a Gen 2, most apps don't work on it now however seems to work great with the Apex fusion website browser.
Was also going to put on the break out boxes (BOB's) but once they are I don't really need to see them and thought best to keep it simple.

Used the Apex templates & a piece of cardboard for trial positions.
IMG_0128.JPG

For the backing I am using 12mm (1/2") plywood and pine for framing surround.
IMG_0132.JPG

As I already have a LED strip and left overs from the understand lighting thought I put keep with the Apex display theme and add a little LED lighting.
LED are only sitting in position to get a idea of the look, once painted up it should look a little better.
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
Awesome build, finally got through to the end. Any updates?

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Back at work now :( following Christmas break.
Tank update, tank builder is going to have a go at replacing the front panel of glass on the tank due to the scratch, if this doesn't work out than a new replacement tank i guess. So this has put a pause on the project tank wise however trying to complete other small jobs.
However to do this the tank will be taken outside which means all cabinet panels need to come off again.
Completed some work on the electrical trunking & Apex display board, a few pic follows of the progress.

Unfortunately the LED don't photography that well but I am sure you all get the idea.

IMG_0161.JPG

Still waiting for the Ipad mount to turn up to complete the Apex display panel.

IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG

Also purchased a Label maker so going a little crazy with cable labels but while label it sure make it easy to ID what is what with will sure come in handle in the future.
IMG_0168.JPG
QT tank is going well, purchased a replacement 2nd Redline Cleaner Shrimp and also fitted a very course form section to fit over the overflow section on the waterbox 20, this stops anything get stuck to it.
IMG_0172.JPG

Still fitting it it seems to shrimps like to hang out on it, can't win, anyway it looks like they can handle the flow there without any issues fingers crossed.

I don't mind the tank delay as it given me more time ot finish the small items and as they say you need patiences for this hobby & I am learning it.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update, seen something new tonight in the QT tank when I turn the lights on, the Peppermint Shrimp just released it babies.
Something different I thought I would share.
IMG_9925.JPG
IMG_9929.JPG

Thought I would try to take a short video with iphone, while the phone has many cameras still very hard to catch the little guys/girls.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update, seen something new tonight in the QT tank when I turn the lights on, the Peppermint Shrimp just released it babies.
Something different I thought I would share.
IMG_9925.JPG
IMG_9929.JPG

Thought I would try to take a short video with iphone, while the phone has many cameras still very hard to catch the little guys/girls.
Wow, that is always awesome to see. Even though you don’t always intend to breed, with good husbandry and rights conditions nature finds a way.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Sorry I haven't updated for a while as the build was at a pause while the tank scratch had to be looked after, this along with Christmas break & tank builder holidays has certainly added a unwanted delay.

So this is where it is all at now.
- Scratch, tank builder has been back, tank moved outside and the front panel has been removed, so still waiting for new panel to be fitted then need to wait for silicon to set (2week) and water test.
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG

While the tank has been out I have been trying to small off / add a few extra mods that I thought about.

Electrical - WOW didn't the apex setup and cable was going to be so much, cables everywhere but glad I have the time to think about it and do it right (well what I think is right).
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG

Apex display panel/setup is finish and has come up ok, if I need to fit more modules these will be mounted on the side side of the door.
IMG_0244.JPG

Also started working on the break out box inputs.

Skimmer full float switch fitted to skimmer, seem to work ok in the dry state.
IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

QT tank is going well, still can't do too much to it as I am awaiting 1-2 more fish before I start the progress, have recently added a bicolor blenny, hoping it will leave corals alone when the time comes.
IMG_0224.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow great build!

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really stinks about the delay, but at least you can make progress in other areas.
Thanks, having trying to make the most of the delay.
There is always something i see and think i can add this or modify this so is working out ok but wife doesn't have the same patients as inside doesn't look the best at thew moment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back