ReefSentinel’s 200g Mini Barrier Reef build.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend date up,
Picked up a new fish from the LFS, have had my eye out for A Royal Gramma, LFS didn’t have in the forsale tanks but when asked what I was after they advised they had one in one of they display tanks.
This fish had been in the DT for approximately 3 mths and the tank is a self contained system so decided to add it to my collection.
A017858D-8781-4F61-B74C-1C7F26158C25.jpeg

I have read that they like to hide for the 1st 2 weeks or so which I can confirm seems to be true, barely seen since adding to qt tanks.
Has it came from a closed system plan to keep in QT and run 2 x doses of General Cure and see how it goes.
Washing day has came around again for the filter socks.
56287965-FE50-4E0F-8530-A842325C97B8.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium time,
My phosphates are still up around 0.30-0.35 so wanted to kick start the refugium.
Have been looking for cheatomorpha but been hard to find any for sale until now.
Found some for sale in a different state at a fair price so I ordered some along with some turbo snails.

Considering the shop was 14hrs away by road delivery was 2 days which was great .
50B3B321-AFFA-41B7-A5AE-A8B1CA515872.jpeg
1296F750-9E63-4305-86E0-ECC5669B4E87.jpeg

Snails will go into a 78 day QT and reading the forum I will QT the Chaeto for 15-16 days with a few dips.
QT plan as follows
Day 1, FW dip for 2hrs
Day 7, Insecticide dip followed by 2hr FW dip.
Day 16, add to DT sump.
Each day in between I will change out 100% of the water and replace with DT water.
if any QT’s chaeto a different way please let me know.
Go lighting I have the chaeto sitting in a ice cream container underneath the fuge light, have the light set to 20% max, 4hr at full 20% and 4hr ramp each side.
F2A8A6CE-23DA-422C-BC93-C1BE41042B0A.jpeg
80884F6E-CBE1-4F28-8387-26E9A8086067.jpeg
B100F429-4133-4F6D-AEC2-C7CFD39B69AE.jpeg

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be looking forward to your chaeto updates. In the past I have always avoided chaeto as it just seemed like a whole other thing I'd have to deal with. On my new FOWLR build, I'm thinking I might have to add some to help with the N03 levels.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had snail eggs hatch before (very few since most of the eggs get eaten before they can hatch), but nearly none of newly hatched sails survive more than a day. I assume they also get eaten right away.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had snail eggs hatch before (very few since most of the eggs get eaten before they can hatch), but nearly none of newly hatched sails survive more than a day. I assume they also get eaten right away.
Thanks Oberst,
I will keep my eye to see what happens but I assume they will either get eaten, go down drain to filter sock or die due to not having enough small food.
After doing a little research people do experience them breeding with success so will see how they go.
Many have already fallen off due to flow I think and the fish don’t seem to interested in eating them.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update,
RODI unit upgraded from a 50G / day system to 100G / day, as I have a booster pump on the system I can only run it for 3hrs at a time, previously it took a long time to make 200 gallons, now half the time.

C1531414-DD18-432D-A811-ACE445B69A9D.jpeg

also finish turning up a small extension to mount the float switch into the DELTEC skimmer.
95E60543-E174-430F-A809-284A7CEB8B84.jpeg

tank wise, all the same, QT chaeto and Royal Gramma, so far so good.
0B9C83AF-A969-472F-916D-98934B06C1E7.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for tank screen lids this weekend, trip to local hardware store for Alum window fly screen extrusion and a little IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG
work a now we have screens.

IMG_1188.JPG
Finish screen fitted, left a little (or alot) for a handle to pickup the lid.
IMG_1189.JPG

I wasn't sure if you would be able to see the shadow from the Alum extrusion from it light or not not so far i cannot let if the screen is on or not.

Last night added the royal Gramma from QT and also the Chaetomorpha into the refugium section.
Royal Gramma starting to swim around a little now which is good.
Chaeto - Well it is turning which is good, flow through the refugium is 180Gallons/hr (688ltr) which is the flow required for the chiller, only issue is I have a lot of small pieces in the water now which are making it's way into the DT.
I am hoping that this is a result of the Chaeto being in a bucket for 3 weeks and it's only the small pieces that were loose.
Hoping as it grows (fingers crossed) that it will hold itself together better and i will not get as much in the DT.

I could put a wall/filter in the refugium however I don't want to create something I need to clean all the time.
Another ideas is to add additional strainer to reduce to return suction/strainer from refugium to return section.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1190.JPG

This is the drain setup in the refugium back to the main return section of the sump
IMG_1192.JPG

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently go some chaeto and I have the same issue with little pieces of it everywhere in the sump. I've yet to come up with a good solution, but I'll let you know if I do.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas all,
Been a while between posts, mainly as nothing as really changed, same live stock and no corals, just letting everything settle in, also summer here in Australia and don't want to have to cool the QT.

Phosphates still around the 0.35-0.40 i am going to cut the feeding down a bit as fish seem fat enough, not sure if its food or phosphates coming out of what was dry rock (dead dry rock)

One thing that is going well is the Chaetomorpha, thought i would share a progress pics of how it has grow over the past 2 months.
IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

I have been fortunate that the chaeto has been spinning most of the time, past 2 weeks it has stopped for a while however I have rotated the water spray bar so it now sprays directly down which has cause the chaeto to start spinning again which is good, based on its growth I am sure it will stop soon due to size.

While I was setting up the chaeto light I done some research regarding light settings but no real details found.
Through I would share the details of the lighting schedule.

Refugium Area: 12" (W) x 17" (L) x approx. 13" deep, (310mm x 438mm x 348mm )

Light used: AI Prime Fuge
Light Intensity: 70% all colours
Distance front from light to water: 200mm (8")
Time Period:
- Ramp "On" 8.00-11.00 from 0% to 70%
- "On" 70% 11.00pm to 8.00am (9hrs),
- Ramp "Down" 8.00am to 11.00am, 70% to 0%

I have recently increased the fuge light period by approx. 1hr each side as I noticed the PH on the Apex was moving a bit between when the DT lights ramped on at 9.15am & ramped off at 9.15pm and when the fuge lights when on/off.
By extending the fuge light to cover the ramp on/off of the DT the PH is a lot more stable and a touch higher, i think this is a work in progress that I will watch and may change.

AI Fuge setting 24-12-21.PNG
PH Log 24-12-21.PNG

I also have on order (Christmas present) a Kamoer F4 PRO WiFi Doser which I plan to mount in the top of the framing under the tank.
Kamoer F4 PRO WiFi Doser.jpg
I am going to use the DIY Aquaforest Balling method Component 1+, 2+ & 3+ for dosing, the research the done seems to make sense to me, hopefully all goes well.

BRS has a great video from MACNA on the method.

Lou Ekus: Reef aquarium chemistry at MACNA 2019 (BRS video) thanks BRS​

120reefkeeper Reefbunker on YouTube has made a great video on the Aquafroest DIY approach, link as follows.

The costing of DIY against buyting the pre-made items is quite a lot cheaper working out to be approx. $31Aus / 3 x 5ltr mix. Aquforest DIY 1+2+3+ costing.jpg

I have my dosing ingredients & 5ltr containers ready which I must say that there are always some problems along the way but it was great when something unplanned goes well, the containers fit perfectly in the position.
IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your chaeto has done really well. I recently tried to grow some and it did not last even three weeks.
Thanks, I was happy to is it grow.
My nitrate and phosphates are a little high, not sure if that had anything to do with it growing.
I should have added in the previous post that my flow in the refugium section is around 660ltrs/hr (174 gallons) as this feed line is also the chiller feed and I also used the acclamation function on the AI prime at first.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Sorry been a bit slow with updates over the pass few months, have just been letting to tank and myself settle in to the reefing, no real changes.

IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG

As it is summer here is Australia i don't have a way of chilling to small QT tanks so I don't QT fish however will start now going into autumn/winter.

Parameter Updates, phos have been treading down which is good, Ald is a little low but dosing to start soon.
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: 390
Phosphates: 0.09
Alkalinity: 6.6
Nitrates: 10
Mag: 1245
PH: 8.1~8.2

Fish stock
1x Yellow Tang
1 x Purple tang
1 x Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Watchman Goby
1 x Pistol Shrimp (lives to goby)

Inverts
2 x Redline Cleaner shrimp
1 x Peppermint Shrimp
15 x Nassarius snails
6 x Trochus snails
1 x Fighting Couch snail

Equipment, after 2 1/2mths wait i finally received my Kamoer, some items in Australia currently have a long lead time due to COVID.
Plan to use the redsea dosing hose management clips to run dosing hose.
IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG
I have 1/4" push-in fitting in my 5ltr containers so needed to order John Guest 3/16" barb/1/4" push in reducers.
IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
still to decide on final dosing location of Kamoer unit, either under tank or i have move in controller cabinet which may be better later down the track.

New live stock purchase today for the QT.

Have been looking for a while and happy to find a pair of Picasso clownfish, I believe one is a "Helmet Picasso" and the other is a "Black onyx Picasso" could be wrong, no expert, also picked up some more clean up crew, snails and 3 x peppermint shrimp.
IMG_1708.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

Coral wise, nothing yet, i hold myself I would wait for coralline algae to appear but nothing yet, it has also been around 10ths however the only item to bring it into the system has been the snails, a few of the snails had a small spots of coralline which I was hoping would start it off but still waiting.

IMG_1635.JPG

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Sorry it's been a while between updates,
No real change as I am just let the tank mature a little and getting use to it all.

Tank Parameter update,
Salinity: 1.024
Calcium: 400-420
Phosphates: 0.07
Alkalinity: 7.2
Nitrates: 3
Mag: 1380
PH: now its winter the range is 7.85-8.11, summer was 8.1~8.2, guess it due to have the house closed up during winter.

Fish stock
1x Yellow Tang
1 x Purple tang
1 x Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Watchman Goby
1 x Pistol Shrimp (lives to goby)
2 x Picasso clownfish, 1 x "Helmet Picasso" and 1 x "Black onyx Picasso"
1 x Bicolor Blenny (added today from QT)

Inverts
2 x Redline Cleaner shrimp
4 x Peppermint Shrimp
15-20 x Nassarius snails
10+ x Trochus snails
1 x Fighting Couch snail

Not dosing at the moment, planning to start soon.

2 months ago my PO3/P04 seemed to have bottomed out at 0 along with a heavy sand bed clean causing what i believe was small outbreak of dinoflagellates, i was changing the filter socks (3) every 3 days, so increased this to changing them every 7 days and are now only running 2 filter socks to avoids nitrates from hitting zero.
IMG_1126.JPG

The dinoflagellates took a good few weeks to almost disappear ( i am sure there are some around), i figure the tank never really when through a ugly stage so was part of the cycle.

QT tanks,
I ran 2 small QT tanks, one for Inverts which stay there for 78 days currently have 3 Peppermint Shrimp & 1 Blood Shrimp
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG

and the other Qt tank is a 20gal waterbox is for fish QT, just finished a bicolor blenny which I have had for approx. 5 weeks, this is now released into the DT, did have a Fire fish with the blenny however it decided it wanted to go through the overflow and sleep on the filter pad and unfortunately evaporation in this area causing it to past away.
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG

Plan to switch the two QT tank around and do Corals and inverts in the 20g waterbox and fish (copper treatment) in the 5 gal as I do want the copper in the waterbox and also have on list of fish so I will only be QT a few more fish.

The Bicolor has been busy finding every hole in the aquascape, fun to watch
IMG_2067.JPG

The Royal Gramma has alway been a friendly fishmate until the bicolor decided to check out the hole the Royal Gramma hangs out near, will see how this goes, I sure it will be fine its a large tank.

IMG_1277.JPG

Watchman goby going well, never travels any more than a few inch's from it's home and Pistol Shrimp.
IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

Clown fish.... well doing well however they live in the top right rear corner, only ever traveling 8-10 inch's then straight back to the corner.
I think with time they will come down, i have noticed over the past week that they have been doing a little bit more traveling distance from them, maybe with the additional of coral they will come down.
IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG

Slow process but enjoying the experience, corals next
IMG_1898.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Build thread update,

Tank itself no real change, everything going ok
10-9-22.JPG

Purchased my 1st coral, for most this would be nothing but for me it is a 1st, I like the movement of the torch & Goniopora corasl, my somewhat have a rough coral list as follows that I plan to purchase but i am sure it will change.
- Torch Corals
- Goniopora Corals
- Branching SPS corals (last once i get a hang of keeping corals)

So i forgot to take a picture of the Goni I purchased but found a similar picture online, it is a red goni with very small blue tips
Goni Red 3-9-22.png
In the bag shot before dip[ process.
IMG_2298.JPG
From watching many videos i put together the following dipping process, i am sure there a better out there , in Australia we don't have the same choices as other countries, please let me know your thoughts

1 - Remove/replace frag plug and Dip "Two Little Fishies" Revive 6mls/500mls of Tank water, Dip for 7 minutes
2 - Rinse container 1, in Tank water 7 mins
3 - Coral RX Pro Dip, 4 drops/500mls of Tank water, Dip for 7 minutes
4 - Rinse container 2, in tank water 7 mins
5 - place to Coral/invert QT tank - plan is for 45 days.
IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

Also added a small SEWDRA 2500-400ltr/hr powerhead to the 20g Water box as there isn't a lot of flow from the standard return pump.
Currently running it on min and random.
IMG_2299.JPG
I also purchased some Redsea Coral REEF ENERGY PLUS, All-In-One Coral Superfood, only feeding 1/2 dose once a day as the QT tank i think is very clean.

Have also purchased 3 other goni's online next should turn up mid next week.
Goni Frag 4-9-22.jpg Goni Green 4-9-22.jpg Goni Stokesi mini 4-9-22.jpg

I have read these can be hard to look after hence why i was happy to purchase small frag and test the water, fingers cross for the next 6 weeks. Pop-up-reef-energy-plus-2-with_rb.png

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delivery day today of the corals purchased on the weekend,

3 new corals, quick dip and into qt tank, certainly look a little different under the standard lights but they seem to be ok following transport and dip.
IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2341.JPG IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG
On a different note for a while i have had GHA in the refugium which i try to clean every now and then but it impossible to get out of the cheato but i clean the walls etc.
I have 3 radion's gen 5 which for the 1st 10mths I only had the middle one top, a few weeks ago I switched on the 2nd two and have noticed the glass now needs to be cleaned every days or two.
Have also just noticed today what seems to be a very light red on the front section of sand, not sure if cyano :angry-face:
Parameters as follows.
Nitrate: 1ppm
Calcium: 450
Phosphate: 0.03ppm
Alkalinity: 7.3
Mag: 1320

My nitrates have been treading down, i have recently stopped the skimmer during the day for 7hrs & reduce the skimmer pump to run a little drier to help keep some nitrates, not sure if this is working as I will test again on the weekend.
IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2347.JPG

Apex graph, red is Phosphate
Screenshot 2022-09-13 204002 Nitrate v Phos 13-9-22.jpg

I currently don't dose but am in the proceed of setting everything ready for when corals move in.
I am not sure if the low nitrates are due to the algae or just a result of a changing system.
Feeding, I generally feed 3/4 a cube of frozen and a few small pellets from the neptune AFS.

I have been doing some research on Sodium or Potassium Nitrate dosing to help increase the nitrates if the changes to the skimmer does fix things.
Buying high grade of Sodium or Potassium Nitrate isn't the easiest thing in Australia, but was wondering what your thoughts on gong forward.

Plan to clean out what i can from refugium walls of GHA tonight.

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through I would add a picture of the red algae.
This afternoon l added 2 new filter socks (generally I only run 1 of the 3 sockets) I cleaned the glass and siphoned the area where the red sand is, for the siphon I siphone the water into the filter socket area and then removed the 3 filter socks and add 1 new socket.

not sure if this will help.
CD547EF8-2F20-41C3-82EF-F469D863C040.jpeg

51B9F44E-826D-460F-A00D-F0BF4A56808C.jpeg

Back