Refractometer calibration? 0ppt vs 35ppt

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought a handheld Refractometer, the seller at the LFS calibrated it for me.

I'm a newbie and it didn't occur to me ask how he calibrated it. Now I'm at home and I want to know how its done properly as I will start my tank cycle soon.

The manual that came with Refractometer says calibrate it to 0, however, from youtube and general googling, a lot of people calibrate it to 35 ppt.

Which one should I go for?

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35. You want to calibrate it to as close to what you want your salinity to be as possible. Reduces the error. For example, mine is calibrated to 35, but reads ro/di water at less than zero.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 35ppt calibration fluid for the most accurate calibration. If you’re in a pinch and don’t have any fluid, calibrating to zero using just RO water is usually fine.

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 35 ppt liquid is pretty cheap and will last you a good while. I've had my current calibration liquid for over a year and its just a little below half way.

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 bottles of calibration fluid - 2 different brands and calibrate every Sunday when I test. They are both supposed to be 35ppt but they test slightly different so I test with both and then adjust to the mid-point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My solutions (2 types) both suggest 35ppt

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend the 35 PPT calibration. You really probably do not care if you can measure 0 PPT accurately. You care about your accuracy at or near 35 PPT.

OP
OP
R

rojees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys.

I finally figured out the tiny solution the lfs seller gave me was distilled water so he calibrated it to 1.0000.

I’m assuming you all are advising me to calibrate to 35ppt is based on using calibration solution, which I don’t have but will look to get some!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back