Refugium and Overflow Question

DontFearTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here, and new to Reef Keeping. I am beginning a 55 gallon build, and I have been doing quite a bit of research over the past 7 to 8 weeks. And I have been reading about the benefits of a refugium. And I apologize if this is a stupid question.

So say I have a 55 gal show tank, and a 25 gal fuge, can I use a cannister filter as a return pump from the fuge back to the 55? I own a Fluval FX5.

And also, where can I find a good overflow box to buy? Maybe one, with an intake grate large enough to pair with the Fluval, if that's possible. I need an overflow box as I can not drill, I'm not 100 percent certain if my glass is tempered or not.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like it might work. Match the overflow box to the gallon per hour output from the fluval... intake in the fuge, discharge in the display... It not something most would consider "the way to do things", but it just might work. Get an aqualifter pump if you get an overflow box. I know you dont want to hear this but drilled really is the ideal method IMO. I have a drilled main and an overflow from the sump to fuge because it was an add on later on down the line. It gives me no issues on this system but it was on another rig and it was a nightmare. I was a noob bigtime so im not really sure what the issue was.. I bought a tom aqualifter pump the second time i tried the box and i ended up drilling out the top of the box and used airline tube to connect to the aqualifter after i broke off the stock connection, it has never gave me another issue since. I say drilled is ideal because it gives you that peace of mind when your at work and power goes out at home. You dont have to ask yourself, did the box start back up or is my floor flooded and my pumps running dry? You know with a drilled system that the drain is going to start flowing regardless.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Lots of very knowledgeable people here.

You could use the canister as a return but like ofblong, I would recommed a pump instead. If you decide to use the canister, at least remove all the media so the pods don't get filtered out.

Jack

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DontFearTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Can all glass tanks be drilled, I've heard that tempered can not. Is there a definitive way to tell whether my tank can be drilled or not?

And thanks for having me here, there sure is a lot of information here to take in. I've been researching and studying and have yet to take any action, I want to have a plan, a plan to modify that plan, a back up if those fail, and maybe another option before I do anything.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to drill the back of the tank. If it has tempered glass it is more than likely the bottom and not the sides. The guy a Glass-holes would be a good person to ask. I have ordered from them a few times and give them and there products a A+++

Good luck and if you drill let us know how it goes.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a tank that has the sides tempered only the bottom. Glass-holes.com sells a kit that comes with the diamond bit hole saw. I just layed my garden hose on the back of my tank and then drilled the hole I had marked. You cant use any pressure on the drill otherwise you will crack the glass but if you follow how glass-holes says to drill you wont have ANY problems. I drilled 3 holes in the back of my tank and they all came out perfect :D.

OP
OP
D

DontFearTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate all of the responses. I watched the how-to video, seems simple enough. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I believe I'll order me a set of hole saws. I guess I'm off to plan buying a return pump and plenty of pvc. Thanks.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for Glass-Holes to get back from vacation so I can order their 700GPh kit!! Pyched to finally have a sump...and not a HOB refugium and skimmer...after all these years!

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to do regular overflows, personally i would do c-syphon overflows with aqua lifter pump so you dont lose syphon, i have two of the 1500s on my 320 and do not have any problems. good luck. let us know what route you take.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate all of the responses. I watched the how-to video, seems simple enough. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I believe I'll order me a set of hole saws. I guess I'm off to plan buying a return pump and plenty of pvc. Thanks.

you can buy the pump with the glass-holes overflow kit for cheaper than you can buying it from someone seperately.

you can see my overflow

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11394

First post shows the holes I drilled and the overflow :D.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back