Refugium - Chaeto Alternatives

Stlrfan88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has been established for about a year. No coral yet but getting ready to add some.
I was going to set up a refugium and use Algae Barn Starter pack but the chaeto is sold out and they are offering an option of Sea Lettuce or Red ogo in the starter pack. I couldn't much information on whether this is a good replacement for Chaeto or not. Should I wait until the Chaeto is back in stock? BRS was also sold out. Any additional thoughts on the starter kit? thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Ulva/Sea Lettuce . Most kinds stay on the surface and grow with good lighting

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never get cheato to grow in mine so now I've just got a bunch of leathers growing in there. I've also seen xenia refugiums.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u have any Tangs/foxface, get sea lettuce that u can feed them after pruning. Circle of life. In my sump I grow caulerpa that I feed to foxface and tomini after pruning, foxface goes to town with it.

jprovido

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that has been established for about a year. No coral yet but getting ready to add some.
I was going to set up a refugium and use Algae Barn Starter pack but the chaeto is sold out and they are offering an option of Sea Lettuce or Red ogo in the starter pack. I couldn't much information on whether this is a good replacement for Chaeto or not. Should I wait until the Chaeto is back in stock? BRS was also sold out. Any additional thoughts on the starter kit? thanks
Chaeto has been out of stock for so long. If they restock i dont know how long it last. Red ogo is a great alternative as you can you it to feed your tangs also. I like them because they grow easily. I have not had much luck on the chaeto but red ogo definitely is thriving in my fudge.

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto has been out of stock for so long. If they restock i dont know how long it last. Red ogo is a great alternative as you can you it to feed your tangs also. I like them because they grow easily. I have not had much luck on the chaeto but red ogo definitely is thriving in my fudge
Chaeto has been out of stock for so long. If they restock i dont know how long it last. Red ogo is a great alternative as you can you it to feed your tangs also. I like them because they grow easily. I have not had much luck on the chaeto but red ogo definitely is thriving in my fudge.
Do you plant it in sand or how do you get the red ogo to start growing?

don74136

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used green grape caulerpa in my Lifereef refugium when my Red Sea Max-250 was up and running. I ended up with a ton of it and instead of throwing it away I sold it on eBay. And that all started with a little hitchhiker of it on a live rock.

CK Amstutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told this is Caleurpa Mexican Fern. I have had it, like this, in my 140 gallon aquarium, for over three years. I honestly thought it was Chaeto until recently. It works.

Attachments

• 40D25A25-F2A2-4C26-B60A-DD239D1FD4B4.jpeg
    40D25A25-F2A2-4C26-B60A-DD239D1FD4B4.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 213BD56B-AC30-4925-97EF-5223CDC0F61A.jpeg
    213BD56B-AC30-4925-97EF-5223CDC0F61A.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 40

saltymichael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told this is Caleurpa Mexican Fern. I have had it, like this, in my 140 gallon aquarium, for over three years. I honestly thought it was Chaeto until recently. It works.
Wow! What kind of light do you use to grow the Caleurpa? Any other plants growing? Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back