Refugium in a basket with rubble rock and chaeto

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a basket to use as my refugium and I’ve had chaeto in it along with some rubble rock about 3 weeks now, my problem is strands of the chaeto keep getting into the return pump area and then into main display.
I’m wondering if I have too much flow in the sump that would be causing the chaeto to break apart? It doesn’t seem like it’s getting too much direct flow but something is causing it to keep overflowing into the main sump and eventually ending up in my dt. It’s also not growing at all if anything it’s getting smaller but it’s still a nice green color. It’s not had any affect on my nitrates or phosphates both are still high.
What else might work well in the refugium and how long does it take to start affecting the nitrates and phosphates or growing in general?
I have a small nano powerhead directed at the basket and another small pump at the bottom of the sump to keep the area from too much detritus settling plus the flow from the skimmer
Could it be the flow is too much ?
I’m using a IM chaeto light that runs from 8pm to 8am .

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a basket to use as my refugium and I’ve had chaeto in it along with some rubble rock about 3 weeks now, my problem is strands of the chaeto keep getting into the return pump area and then into main display.
I’m wondering if I have too much flow in the sump that would be causing the chaeto to break apart? It doesn’t seem like it’s getting too much direct flow but something is causing it to keep overflowing into the main sump and eventually ending up in my dt. It’s also not growing at all if anything it’s getting smaller but it’s still a nice green color. It’s not had any affect on my nitrates or phosphates both are still high.
What else might work well in the refugium and how long does it take to start affecting the nitrates and phosphates or growing in general?
I have a small nano powerhead directed at the basket and another small pump at the bottom of the sump to keep the area from too much detritus settling plus the flow from the skimmer
Could it be the flow is too much ?
I’m using a IM chaeto light that runs from 8pm to 8am .
So as not to be “creating” a problem. Do you really have Nitrate and Phosphate issues? If not I’d personally delete the cheato. Keep the high flow in your sump…. A clean sump is a happy tank. Lol

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as not to be “creating” a problem. Do you really have Nitrate and Phosphate issues? If not I’d personally delete the cheato. Keep the high flow in your sump…. A clean sump is a happy tank. Lol
My nitrates are 23.4 phosphates are just as high
I’ve also had several fish die recently that probably caused the parameters to get even worse. If I keep having issues with the chaeto I might just run a media reactor.
Is it possible to still keep pods in the sump area if I’m running a skimmer and reactor as long as I keep enough rock for them to live ?
Aside from hoping to use the refugium to lower my nitrates and phosphates I’d hoped to keep copapods in my refugium area

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are 23.4 phosphates are just as high
I’ve also had several fish die recently that probably caused the parameters to get even worse. If I keep having issues with the chaeto I might just run a media reactor.
Is it possible to still keep pods in the sump area if I’m running a skimmer and reactor as long as I keep enough rock for them to live ?
Aside from hoping to use the refugium to lower my nitrates and phosphates I’d hoped to keep copapods in my refugium area
So, yes pods are fine anywhere under and conditions. 23.4 nitrates are not at all the end of the world. It’s actually fine in many tanks. What are your phosphate numbers?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23.4 ppm phosphate would be insane (though not the highest I've seen) haha. I'm guessing it's lower than that lol
I read it wrong, I’m not sure but .24 doesn’t seem that bad ‍♀️ But the nitrates shot up quite a bit but I also had several fish die recently that probably raised them
CB173B9B-F3B9-437E-A55E-5125EECCFC84.jpeg
CB173B9B-F3B9-437E-A55E-5125EECCFC84.jpeg 21047B4E-F3BE-4EF4-8F98-B4CBC3C407E3.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done a water change since your fish died? Your ammonia’s could be an issue as well. Both of your nitrates and phosphates could each come down a little. But if your chaeto isn’t having any success or affect then maybe another option to bring these numbers down would be the way to go.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve done a 25% water change and plan to do another tonight, I was running chempure elite as well but it didn’t seem to have any affect either.
My chaeto is 1/4 the size it was 3 weeks ago, is it worth adding more or trying another type of macro algae ?
I ordered some chaeto grow as well but I’m not sure it’ll help with the amount that’s left ‍♀️

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve done a 25% water change and plan to do another tonight, I was running chempure elite as well but it didn’t seem to have any affect either.
My chaeto is 1/4 the size it was 3 weeks ago, is it worth adding more or trying another type of macro algae ?
I ordered some chaeto grow as well but I’m not sure it’ll help with the amount that’s left ‍♀️
I should have everything that would grow chaeto, could my light not be strong enough? I’m using innovative ChaetoMax 2- in -1 refugium light 9 watts. I had a softball size ball of chaeto now I have about 1/4 of the size left. I do think maybe there’s too much flow

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not ready to give up on my refugium but I don’t think the little bit of chaeto left is going to help much, I’m going to try reducing the flow and add more chaeto, what other Macroalgae might be good to add and where are places besides algae barn to get chaeto. Are there additives that I can add to help get the chaeto growing? I’m sure I’ve got enough nutrients to feed the algae but for some reason it’s not growing and it might be due to too much flow directed at the basket

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back