Refugium light questions... Best light for my setup? Can it be ran 24 hours? Etc....

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 32. I am trying to decide the best light for the inTank refugium in the back w/o removing the top. I've seen the ACKE LED Grow Light recommended a lot. But I have a few questions that make me wonder if that's the best way to go.

Is it normal or abnormal for people to keep their refugium light on all the time? If the light is ran all the time, then great....I'll get the most recommended light because I don't have to worry about turning it off/on myself or buying any expensive automation system to do it for me. If it's typically ran on a schedule, I would be curious what lights can be app controlled and scheduled.

A guy at my LFS recommended the PRIME 16 LED that can be controlled by the MyAI app that currently controls my Nero powerheads. Does anyone have this on their biocube 32? How is it mounted? Does it do the job or is it overkill for such a small refugium? Are there any better or good enough "app controlled" refugium lights that would do the job equally as well?

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

It's water proof so I stuck it in my back chamber, no need to attach it. I bought a cheap timer on amazon and run it for 12 hours opposite my tank lights.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kaisa power strip and a random UFO grow light from Amazon (50$ like 800 par on water surface ). You should let the macro algae “rest” have a period where there is no light , this is actually when they use the nutrients they gathered to grow

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a kaisa power strip and a random UFO grow light from Amazon (50$ like 800 par on water surface ). You should let the macro algae “rest” have a period where there is no light , this is actually when they use the nutrients they gathered to grow
- Never heard of a kaisa strip until now. I likey!
- How did you mount your UFO grow light?
- Does it emit a lot of heat?
- What schedule do you have your light on? How many hours on vs off?

Upvote 0

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

It's water proof so I stuck it in my back chamber, no need to attach it. I bought a cheap timer on amazon and run it for 12 hours opposite my tank lights.

Upvote 0
Solution

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prime 16HD will be overkill since mostly you will want the red spectrum for the fuge light - i think AI has a separate fuge light if you want to consider a more fine-tuned control

I have a a kessil 380 for my fuge - it runs on a timer - i don't have any fancy controllers - i just have those power strips that has a built in timer (8 outlets - 4 are on all the time, 2 are on based on a specific time i program and 2 are on the opposite sch).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

The choices are getting easier and easier. A regular old cheap timer never crossed my mind, but that's a great idea!
prime 16HD will be overkill since mostly you will want the red spectrum for the fuge light - i think AI has a separate fuge light if you want to consider a more fine-tuned control

I have a a kessil 380 for my fuge - it runs on a timer - i don't have any fancy controllers - i just have those power strips that has a built in timer (8 outlets - 4 are on all the time, 2 are on based on a specific time i program and 2 are on the opposite sch).

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI does sell a fuge light. My old light was giving up the ghost so I got one. It has 4 different colors (if I remember right): blue, red, a red or a blue and white. It is also controllable via the AI app and as long as you have WIFI, you can control it from a smart phone. It might be way over kill for your system. I have mine on a 300 gallon and it seems to be plenty for that.

Upvote 0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Never heard of a kaisa strip until now. I likey!
- How did you mount your UFO grow light?
- Does it emit a lot of heat?
- What schedule do you have your light on? How many hours on vs off?
It has a fan built in the light so it stays pretty cool , I mounted it into the stand above the refugium (under tank in sump) , and I run it opposite of DT for 12 hours , turns off when DT lights come on to maintain PH. I like the kaisa power strip, it’s a poor mans apex lol

7AD0B7B8-941C-45E2-B991-3F11AD853014.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI does sell a fuge light. My old light was giving up the ghost so I got one. It has 4 different colors (if I remember right): blue, red, a red or a blue and white. It is also controllable via the AI app and as long as you have WIFI, you can control it from a smart phone. It might be way over kill for your system. I have mine on a 300 gallon and it seems to be plenty for that.
Good point! I’ll get it in the future when I have a big boy tank.

Upvote 0

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

Yep, I like mine a lot especially its versatility

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

Sheeeeesh....this light is sold out everywhere!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this light

This pump is sold out everywhere. I have been looking for it ever since you suggested it. Ugh!!!

Upvote 0

WilyGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Acke on a power strip that is designed for lizard enclosures and has a bank of night/day timers. I’ve had it forever. Recently bought this Power cord to run my return and flow, because I got annoyed unplugging stuff for water changes and feeding. I can control it from an app on my phone and it has cool scheduling features.

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 32. I am trying to decide the best light for the inTank refugium in the back w/o removing the top. I've seen the ACKE LED Grow Light recommended a lot. But I have a few questions that make me wonder if that's the best way to go.

Is it normal or abnormal for people to keep their refugium light on all the time? If the light is ran all the time, then great....I'll get the most recommended light because I don't have to worry about turning it off/on myself or buying any expensive automation system to do it for me. If it's typically ran on a schedule, I would be curious what lights can be app controlled and scheduled.

A guy at my LFS recommended the PRIME 16 LED that can be controlled by the MyAI app that currently controls my Nero powerheads. Does anyone have this on their biocube 32? How is it mounted? Does it do the job or is it overkill for such a small refugium? Are there any better or good enough "app controlled" refugium lights that would do the job equally as well?
People will run reverse lighting cycles in order to mitigate PH swings. Logically you will need nearly the same in your refugium that you have in your main tank. Unlikely for most people.

24/7 is another option to reduce unwanted nitrates. Which is why you are most likely running it.

I have run it 24/7 and a 16 hour reverse cycle on my current tank but on my smaller AIO systems just 24/7. I have had Chaeto do well and not do well under both lighting conditions. I will say that on a 16 hour lighting schedule I saw pearling on the chaeto, something I did not see on 24/7.

I used the IM Chaeto Max on my biocube. I simply cut a perfect square off the back of the biocube and attached the light to the glass with the provided sticky tape. You can put it on a timer if you like. Just buy a $10 wifi plug on Amazon. There was less light bleed and one less wire in my tank.

You do not need an AI Prime fuge light. That would be ridiculous both in price and output.

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back