Refugium Light

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade my refugium light in my WaterBox 100.3 sump for better growth. Currently running an old BML which is OK, but the spectrum is for corals not macros. Looking at the AI Prime HD FW and the Kessil H-80 Tuna Flora.

Anyone currently using either of these that can share their experience / like / dislike?

Can the Kessil be run off a timer? I don't have an Apex.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade my refugium light in my WaterBox 100.3 sump for better growth. Currently running an old BML which is OK, but the spectrum is for corals not macros. Looking at the AI Prime HD FW and the Kessil H-80 Tuna Flora.

Anyone currently using either of these that can share their experience / like / dislike?

Can the Kessil be run off a timer? I don't have an Apex.
How big is the fuge area? I would actually opt for the kessil h160. More power, better spread.

OP
OP
PapaWhisky

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge area is ~ 18"L x 12"W x 9"D. It's the middle section of the pic below.

platinum-reef-100.3.sump_.jpg

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil H series is a beast, I have one, you can see differences in your fuge after few weeks

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kessils can be run off of a timer.

I would recommend the H160 (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/lighting/kessil-h160-refugium/) over the H80 for the size of refugium and the likely intensity of the lighting over the display tank.

The H160 can be dimmed like the H80 (and unlike the H380).

Overall, the kessils grow most macroalgae like crazy. We have some customers that are removing copious amounts of sea lettuce from their fuge every week.

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a couple of 300w CWB LED grow lights. First looks to be non dimmable the second is dimmable. I was looking at some par38 bulbs in the 6500k spectrum but could only find 5k spectrum for around $10 each. There are some par38 grow lights on Amazon for around $25 but you still need the fixtures. Over my fuge I would need 2 fixtures for good coverage.
Screenshot_20181109-224152_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181109-223819_Chrome.jpg

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a kessil a80, the freshwater version. It’s tuned to grow plants in water and the color is pleasing to the eye. It also looks natural which essentially gives me a second fish tank. My fuge is about the same size as yours and the 80 series is plenty for nine inches of water. Anything more powerful will burn all your plants.

If you want to go the less expensive route the Taotronics grow light bulbs are great. The spectrum of these growlight bulbs is really hard on your eyes though. I’ve read that it’s wise to wear protective goggles if you’re going to be working around them.

I’d go with a 6000k Flood light or a light that the freshwater planted tank people would use on a nano-planted tank, as that’s what our Refugiums are.

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils can be run off of a timer.

I would recommend the H160 (https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/lighting/kessil-h160-refugium/) over the H80 for the size of refugium and the likely intensity of the lighting over the display tank.

The H160 can be dimmed like the H80 (and unlike the H380).

Overall, the kessils grow most macroalgae like crazy. We have some customers that are removing copious amounts of sea lettuce from their fuge every week.

What do you recommend for your pom and dragons breath macros? What light settings work best for these species? Thanks

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used about five different lights over this Lifereef refugium. The last light was a Kessil A360 Magneta. Super bright, but created too much heat. Changed to two x Kessil H80. There is not much heat and enough light to grow macro all the way down to the bottom. Their small, but efficient.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't say how large an area this light works for? This light may work for OP. My fuge is 30"x12" I'm thinking I would need 2. But I could start with 1 and expand later.

Im using the same LED light over my fuge, my fuge is 10 x 10 and still there is plenty of light to the sides, the nutrients removed by the chaeto is so effective that I had to remove my skimmer due to phosphate and nitrates went to 0 once the skimmer was connected. This light grows chaeto like crazy, I think is the main reason I dont have algae problems in my main display tank. FYI Im running this on a reefer 425xl. Also the same company have a dual bulb model that may works better for you.

Waterproof 200W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum, New Technology Cob Led Grow Light, Natural Heat Dissipation Without Noise, Suitable For Plants All Growing Stage Indoor Or Outdoor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776R69WH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I-k6Bb8183KW5

OP
OP
PapaWhisky

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Kessel H160. Very happy with it. My Macros started growing again and the algae in the DT went away.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back