Refugium lighting question

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick question as I am attempting my first refugium and it is on an aio waterbox 20g cube. I assume since chaeto is a plant it follows same idea of a light and dark cycle. So question is I have a 9w innovative marine refugium light on back of tank where I cut a shaped hole in black backing, should I be turning it off? I been doing on at night and off while "day" lights are. What are ur guys recommendations? I have a marinepure block along with some live rock chunks with chaeto on top of that near light window in second chamber.

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on a timer and run its from 10:30pm- 7:00pm. I used to just do it every night before bed and in the morning when I woke up. I did that until i had someone watch my tank for a week and they accidentally left it on and I had a massive algae bloom. I have also notice the benefits of the using the timer and the consistency of it with a white sandbed and less hair algae on the spots that I can never seem to get rid off. Im not an expert by any means with refugiums but that seems to be the best for my 12g nano aio. Another note I should make is that I built my tank myself and have a clear glass back so I put my light 12w grow light up against the glass and they whole refugium chamber is completely lit.

Here are two links to BRS videos about refugiums:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide-ep24-refugiums
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/top-15-refugium-fails

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on a timer and run its from 10:30pm- 7:00pm. I used to just do it every night before bed and in the morning when I woke up. I did that until i had someone watch my tank for a week and they accidentally left it on and I had a massive algae bloom. I have also notice the benefits of the using the timer and the consistency of it with a white sandbed and less hair algae on the spots that I can never seem to get rid off. Im not an expert by any means with refugiums but that seems to be the best for my 12g nano aio. Another note I should make is that I built my tank myself and have a clear glass back so I put my light 12w grow light up against the glass and they whole refugium chamber is completely lit.

Here are two links to BRS videos about refugiums:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide-ep24-refugiums
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/top-15-refugium-fails
Hmm i wonder if there would be a benefit to cutting more space out of the "wrap" Right now I have the space only needed for the light cutout. It seems to light most of the chamber.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine plugged into a wifi outlet. It turns on at 9pm and off at 8am. My main lights turn on at 830am and off at 830pm
OK that is what I had been reading. Currently I have no inhabitants so main lights tend to be off. I started seeing algae growing on the glass and sandbed so turned off the lights for a few days to try to help.

Y8ZC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm i wonder if there would be a benefit to cutting more space out of the "wrap" Right now I have the space only needed for the light cutout. It seems to light most of the chamber.
I would look to only remove it in your refugium chamber because I do get algae in the back from bleed over light but it’s all manageable algae. But if you’re getting light that’s growing well from where you already Have made a hole then maybe let that go for a month or two and then see if you want to pull the rest off or leave it where it is.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back