Refugium okay for new tank?

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to convert my ATO on my red sea reefer 170 into a refugium. I have a lot of biological filtration and my protein skimmer is way over powered so I am not looking to utilize it as a main source of filtration, but more as a benefit of sorts. I want to feed my aquarium heavily, and exporting the excess nutrients. My only concern is the health of a refugium only a new aquarium i.e 4 months ish. Some of the rock I have is newer and some is older as I have upgraded so I added extra. I remember reading that refugiums don’t do well on newer aquariums, should I wait? Or should I just go ahead and start it? Any input it helpful! Thanks!

A little overview of my tank. I have 3 fish and cleaner shrimp. I feed pellets and frozen small amounts throughout the day. And as you can see there is a ton of poopy water being pulled out!

4B282E86-6918-4BF6-BDBF-24D262DEFB68.jpeg E77EA190-41FC-47D0-A0CD-27F0BC697909.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to go ahead and start it with no problems. The growth of your macroalgae will, generally, be directly proportional to the nutrients available. Have you measured for nitrates and phosphates? I would do so before starting. If you find the algae is not growing and your lighting is good, you can always drop a few food pellets in the refugium once or twice a week to augment available nutrients.

OP
OP
Blitheran

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to go ahead and start it with no problems. The growth of your macroalgae will, generally, be directly proportional to the nutrients available. Have you measured for nitrates and phosphates? I would do so before starting. If you find the algae is not growing and your lighting is good, you can always drop a few food pellets in the refugium once or twice a week to augment available nutrients.
My phospahtes (hanna) .06 and nitrates (salifert) 30ish

Back