Refugium question

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock in my fuge that appears to have white “nests” not really sure what they are curious if anyone can help me identify what is actually going on.

E7FE2F52-576F-4C20-BE2B-D427A510CD5E.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cody,
Consider starting a tank thread. It would assist others to help you. I noted this is your first thread since you have been a member. Welcome to the addiction. I have been hooked for 48 years.

Where did rock come from? If dry rock, then describe system in which it has been in. Sponges are excellent water filters and are an indicator of good water quality. I often get ornamental sponges

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Cody Bramwell

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pineapple sponges in reef tank

The tube like holes are sponge intake water. Consider the sponge as part of your biochemical filtration diversity. Kudos to you.
I do have some of this type of algae in the refugium and on some parts it looks like it’s growing new stems branching out, how do i verify that it’s a sponge opposed to an algae. I’ll have to start a tank thread here soon, it’s been up and running and the water chemistry didn’t get fixed until earlier this year now everything is thriving like it should.

1D0939B0-4FDD-48CB-9E84-CFF7344F138D.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get more specific with terminology. Seagrasses, seaweeds or macro algae, micro algae includes phytoplankton and so much more.

You have grape Caulerpa and pineapple sponge on your rock. In my 75G macro Lagoon, I feed green grapes to the Hippo so be doesn’t eat Red Grapes or Red Ogo. All of the ornamental macros in tanks are less than two weeks in systems. Some have been photoshocked

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some of this type of algae in the refugium and on some parts it looks like it’s growing new stems branching out, how do i verify that it’s a sponge opposed to an algae. I’ll have to start a tank thread here soon, it’s been up and running and the water chemistry didn’t get fixed until earlier this year now everything is thriving like it should.

1D0939B0-4FDD-48CB-9E84-CFF7344F138D.jpeg

I think you have Caulerpa Racemosa as I do.

There are many variations of C. Racemosa found worldwide. They are often highly variable in composition, which makes it difficult to properly identify some species without inspection of the cell structure under a microscope. This species is unique in that it has perfectly round individual clusters, resembling grapes on a vine. Like most varieties of Racemosa, they can quickly outgrow the available nutrients in a tank, so care must be taken to limit the size of each specimen. It grows in the inter-tidal zone in fairly shallow water and depends upon moderate to high currents to supply the essential nutrients required for growth. Caulerpa Racemosa should be closely monitored in the aquarium as it is well known for releasing spores under aquarium conditions.

OP
OP
Cody Bramwell

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get more specific with terminology. Seagrasses, seaweeds or macro algae, micro algae includes phytoplankton and so much more.

You have grape Caulerpa and pineapple sponge on your rock. In my 75G macro Lagoon, I feed green grapes to the Hippo so be doesn’t eat Red Grapes or Red Ogo. All of the ornamental macros in tanks are less than two weeks in systems. Some have been photoshocked

Thanks for your input i appreciate your time and quick responses. Very helpful

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cody,
You are very welcome. What is your vision for this tank? You have achieved a mature eco system. Consider adding diversity of filter feeders, softies & LPS in your Macro Lagoon.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock in my fuge that appears to have white “nests” not really sure what they are curious if anyone can help me identify what is actually going on.

E7FE2F52-576F-4C20-BE2B-D427A510CD5E.jpeg
Is it in a slightly darker area of the tank. If so it might be an entrusting sponge. They are not beautiful but they do have marvelous natural filtering capacity.

OP
OP
Cody Bramwell

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in a slightly darker area of the tank. If so it might be an entrusting sponge. They are not beautiful but they do have marvelous natural filtering capacity.
The sponge is in my refugium and has a prime fuge light over it. Yeah my water quality has finally been under control since March, everything seems to be a lot better than when i first started

OP
OP
Cody Bramwell

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cody,
You are very welcome. What is your vision for this tank? You have achieved a mature eco system. Consider adding diversity of filter feeders, softies & LPS in your Macro Lagoon.

I’ve been building my RSM250 since December 2018 but my water chemistry wasn’t really on point since March of this year, and my main goal and vision for the tank for it to be is a mixed reef for sure i really enjoy euphyllia, and love zoas i no longer have the RBTAs, been wanting to mix it up with some acans and more favia those are also appealing, i also have purchased a lifereef sump and it’s been a lot of help for nutrient control.

Attachments

• 3A809204-7CF2-4D35-8A58-A5B4F470ADA4.jpeg
    3A809204-7CF2-4D35-8A58-A5B4F470ADA4.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DDDCD730-52F2-45DA-AF25-50686503220F.jpeg
    DDDCD730-52F2-45DA-AF25-50686503220F.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 24

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been building my RSM250 since December 2018 but my water chemistry wasn’t really on point since March of this year, and my main goal and vision for the tank for it to be is a mixed reef for sure i really enjoy euphyllia, and love zoas i no longer have the RBTAs, been wanting to mix it up with some acans and more favia those are also appealing, i also have purchased a lifereef sump and it’s been a lot of help for nutrient control.

Good fortune on your journey. You are at a fantastic hobby website with many willing to help when you need it. Sometime tooo much conflicting ideas. It’s gets complicated because their are many successful ways to operate a marine ornamental tank.

I particularly like the mixed reef you are going for.

Not familiar with lifereef sump. How does it perform nutrient control?

A refugium is a place of refuge from predators. After some micro algae has formed in your sump, consider adding copepods to continuous live feed your corals.

OP
OP
Cody Bramwell

Cody Bramwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good fortune on your journey. You are at a fantastic hobby website with many willing to help when you need it. Sometime tooo much conflicting ideas. It’s gets complicated because their are many successful ways to operate a marine ornamental tank.

I particularly like the mixed reef you are going for.

Not familiar with lifereef sump. How does it perform nutrient control?

A refugium is a place of refuge from predators. After some micro algae has formed in your sump, consider adding copepods to continuous live feed your corals.
Yeah i know a little bit about the hobby, I haven’t taken the time to learn the science names or species and identification, which i will eventually dive into, but having a mixed reef i truly enjoy for sure, zoas are probably my all time favorite coral, just for the diversity and different color combinations
I feel a little silly for not knowing the correct terminology for the algae in my refugium, i do have tons and tons of copepods, amphipods and bristle worms in the whole system, i also just added some Berghia nudibranchs for an aptasia problem i discovered a few weeks ago. Hopefully they do the tank some justice because they’re spreading quick. This last summer i invested in some carbon and GFO reactors after an ICP test came back with my Phosphates through the roof. Now they’re anywhere from .05 - .33, the Life reef sump i have for my tank is custom made to fit under my stand which the Red Sea max 250 didn’t come with a sump it’s actually pretty slick and does very good for nutrient control, also added another 30-35 gallons to the system.

Attachments

• 4D33543C-B065-49BC-8557-97DEC6916BFD.jpeg
    4D33543C-B065-49BC-8557-97DEC6916BFD.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 26

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back