Refugium without a sump?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I, in theory, make a refugium without a sump? I have a small 1.5g acrylic cube that I'm not using for anything else. It has a pump in it, that I can remove from the filter.

Any ideas?

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its possible, but tbh if your gonna have to do alot of modifications and don't mind losing the space in your tank go for it. I used to use a breeder box with a little rubble and cheato right under the waterfall from a hang on and I think it worked.good luck. I decided to drill my tank and in the process of putting it all together.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its possible, but tbh if your gonna have to do alot of modifications and don't mind losing the space in your tank go for it. I used to use a breeder box with a little rubble and cheato right under the waterfall from a hang on and I think it worked.good luck. I decided to drill my tank and in the process of putting it all together.
Yeesh, didn't realize it would be that complicated. 0>0

What are the benefits of a refugium? If it will really help my tank, then I may go ahead and do it.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are way better,makes your tank look way better and your able to do your testing from the sump. You can also us it as a secondary tank for like small frags before they're ready to be added to the main tank.you are able to put almost all the equipment if your sump it made correctly. No sight of heater,better filtration,flow control.im plumbing mine so I dont need to run powerheads in my tank.macro algea grow tank to lower all the problematic traces.its way better. I've missed alot or pros but just looks way cleaner without a bunch hanging on and in your tank.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeesh, didn't realize it would be that complicated. 0>0

What are the benefits of a refugium? If it will really help my tank, then I may go ahead and do it.
The benefits of a refuge is that it will export nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates from your tank. It can also be a safe haven for things like copepods and other small invertebrates. Size matters as it relates to your tank size, so the larger your refugium compared to your tank the more benefits you will see. If you were looking for a more compact way to export nutrients then look at an algae scrubber or algae reactor.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The benefits of a refuge is that it will export nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates from your tank. It can also be a safe haven for things like copepods and other small invertebrates. Size matters as it relates to your tank size, so the larger your refugium compared to your tank the more benefits you will see. If you were looking for a more compact way to export nutrients then look at an algae scrubber or algae reactor.
I will look into those, thank you!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back