Regal 200INT DC Skimmer - New tank and Tuning

AI Hydra

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I got the Regal 200 INT running in my Waterbox 220.6. The tank is new and only has two clownfish in it as of last Saturday. So I know there isn't much of a bioload for the skimmer to be pulling out junk. At this point in my tank, how do I tune this skimmer? Pump speed vs gate valve adjustments are confusing me.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There are probably several ways to do this. One approach is to start with the manufacturer's recommendation (which is usually about 8 or 9 inches) for the water height, then get in the ball park with the pump speed, and then dial it in with the gate. That is a nice skimmer - good luck with the setup!

OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
There are probably several ways to do this. One approach is to start with the manufacturer's recommendation (which is usually about 8 or 9 inches) for the water height, then get in the ball park with the pump speed, and then dial it in with the gate. That is a nice skimmer - good luck with the setup!
Yeah its sitting at around 8.5 inches in the sump. How do I know what ball park is for the pump speed? My old tank I had just an AC skimmer.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Other people may have other approaches, but here is one way to move forward. Open the valve all the way and then back it off a couple of notches, then set the pump so the bubbles are at the bottom of the neck. This should have you in the ballpark. Then make adjustments with the valve from there. If it gets to the point where the valve can't open any more or less then readjust the pump.

AI Hydra

When is the last time you purchased cleanup crew critters?

• Past few days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Past few weeks

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Past few months

• Over a half a year

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Over a year ago

• Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%