regal angel fish in Quarantine curious behavior

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red sea angel just started this behavior on the fourth day. it has just started eating small amounts of frozen food just a day earlier.

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow your quarantine looks just like mine lol. I even have regal in there right now. Mine does something similar where it swims vertically and occasionally goes somewhat upside down but I think that is it looking for food as when it does that it picks at the ground. I dont think its anything unhealthy as mine has been in qt for 2 weeks and has been doing that and continues to eat. Now if it was stuck swimming down or having to constantly right itself there would be an issue

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My red sea angel just started this behavior on the fourth day. it has just started eating small amounts of frozen food just a day earlier.
wow your quarantine looks just like mine lol. I even have regal in there right now. Mine does something similar where it swims vertically and occasionally goes somewhat upside down but I think that is it looking for food as when it does that it picks at the ground. I dont think its anything unhealthy as mine has been in qt for 2 weeks and has been doing that and continues to eat. Now if it was stuck swimming down or having to constantly right itself there would be an issue

Although I do agree fish do wierd things...I dont think that looks right, but I am no expert.

@4FordFamily
@HotRocks

OP
OP
smellfishy

smellfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added any meds yet I was really tying to get it eating well first. I have never had a regal before due to it reputation as a poor survivor, so not really sure wat to expect from it. How was your experience with getting it to feed regularly?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added any meds yet I was really tying to get it eating well first. I have never had a regal before due to it reputation as a poor survivor, so not really sure wat to expect from it. How was your experience with getting it to feed regularly?
mine ate the first day it came in. The going completely upside down though is pretty weird

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the RA is just looking for food. I have always had success feeding picky eaters with small 2mm pellet sized pieces of cut scallops. RA will often pick food off the bottom. Put 3-4 small pieces of the scallop in the tank and feed often, especially if he starts eating. You can siphon off small uneaten pieces off the bottom with an air hose.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although mine doesnt do a lap upside down as yours does, mine swims in all sorts of odd positions s as it cruises through the Rocks.

It looks odd, but he does not appear to be in distress.

Perhaps it was housed with a yellow assessor at some point lol (they swim like that regularly).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal angels have always acted very strangely, I wouldn’t say this is abnormal, but I would keep an eye on the fish. Is it still eating?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it is a problem, odds are you won’t be able to do much about it. I’d keep feeding, hold off on meds and WAS.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a really weird behavior but as the rest of the guys said he doesn't look distressed in the least. Does he do it intermittently or constantly?

Glad to hear he's eating better, that's encouraging! Beautiful fish and appears to not be thin in the least.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back