Regal angel problems

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

I have a Regal angel, he is the biggest fish of my tank. In fact, he is the tank boss. Always eating like a pig.
Since yesterday he stops eating and start to behaving in a very weird way. He is hidden all the time and very scared.
He is not breathing fast, no disease signs, no ich or velvet spots, no wound. Absolutely nothing besides this very weird behavior. I already tried different foods but he just ignores anything. I know this is very unspecific signs but, please, I need some help. I really love this fish and Iam very concerned about him. All tank parameters seems to be in check.

Thks in advance

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing that comes to mind, Have you added anything new to your tank that might have brought in a bacteria or virus ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m thinking in terms of flukes. Does it ignore food, shake its head occasionally?
Is poop normal or white?
Water quality:
Check your-
Ammonia
Nitrate
Ph
Salinity
Temperature

have you changed light settings or water flow?

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish? When's the last time a new fish was added to the tank? Uronema has been rearing its ugly head a LOT lately. It can be really hard to detect on some fish (especially large angels) until it's too late to treat. Just lost a Regal after 2 months in QT. Same story as you. Eats like a pig and then gets reclusive and finicky about food. Turned out to be Uronema. Sores started developing a few days later.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, thk u very much.

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrato = 0.25 ppm
Temperature = 25C
Salinity = 1025
pH = 8.1

I introduced new fish few weeks ago. I am stocking my new tank. All fishes went thru HTTM method.
Regal isnt presenting head shaking or any fluke signs. Poop was normal in color and shape (now he isn't eating so I don't know).
All other fishes are doing great and no disease signs are present (tiny Hepatus, tiny Naso Tang, diamond goby, Gramma brasiliensis, yellow coris and a pair of ocellaris).
The regal is fat, no swimming problems, colors still amazing but refuse to eat anything and is absolutely scared.
He is with me for 45 days and used to eat like a pig since day one.

I really hope It isn't Uronema, this would be terrible.

I Just don't know If I should transfer him to a hospital tank because no other disease signs are present. For sure he is much more confortable in my DT than would be in a Hospital tank. Iam affraid to overstress him, so Iam watching him closely to check for any other disease signs that could me help to identify the pathogenic agent. So, I could transfer him to a HT and try some therapeutic approach.

What do u think? Any other ideas? Should I do sth different?

That is so frustrating.

Thks guys!

D.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking in terms of flukes. Does it ignore food, shake its head occasionally?
Is poop normal or white?
Water quality:
Check your-
Ammonia
Nitrate
Ph
Salinity
Temperature

have you changed light settings or water flow?
Oh, I forgot. No changes in lighting, flow, rock structure. Nothing. It seems that someone changed my fish for another one. It is a completly bizarre situation. Iam setting up a Hospital tank and waiting for any kind of diagnosis.

Thk u

D.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely transfer the fish to a hospital tank for treatment. If there's been no obvious changes in the main tank that caused stress, disease is the next, most likely candidate. A FW dip before going in hospital tank might be a good idea as well. It can provide temporary relief from a wide array of parasites until you can figure out what's going on.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely transfer the fish to a hospital tank for treatment. If there's been no obvious changes in the main tank that caused stress, disease is the next, most likely candidate. A FW dip before going in hospital tank might be a good idea as well. It can provide temporary relief from a wide array of parasites until you can figure out what's going on.
Would u recommend start a treatment besides FW bath? Maybe antibiotics? I mean, as far as I still didn't detected any specific disease symptom, what should I treat for? I really don't know. I guess I should put him in HT but with a specific medication. I just don't know which medication should I use because every fish disease seems to decrease appetite and affects fish behavior in some way.
I spent all my day watching him, but nothing changed. Well, he investigated a clam shell bitting a little bit and swam a little bit far away of his shelter but nothing more.

Thk u very much

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would u recommend start a treatment besides FW bath? Maybe antibiotics? I mean, as far as I still didn't detected any specific disease symptom, what should I treat for? I really don't know. I guess I should put him in HT but with a specific medication. I just don't know which medication should I use because every fish disease seems to decrease appetite and affects fish behavior in some way.
I spent all my day watching him, but nothing changed. Well, he investigated a clam shell bitting a little bit and swam a little bit far away of his shelter but nothing more.

Thk u very much
Can you post a short video and some pictures taken under white, not blue light?

Jay

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video and some pictures taken under white, not blue light?

Jay
Hi Jay, Iam doing my best to record him but everytime that I come to close to the glass he goes away. This is frustrating because this fish was eating in my hand three days ago (like a puffer).
I guess he is a little bit more interested in food today but still weird and not eating very much, Just a few bittings on the clams.
I noticed that one or two times in a day he behaves more normally: swimming around the tank, bitting the clam a little bit, putting himself as the "Boss" of the tank but this behavior is short and after few minutes he comes to the corner of the tank and remains there, not interested in anything.

Attachments

• VID_20201231_114044.mp4
    48.7 MB
  • IMG_20201231_114305.jpg
    IMG_20201231_114305.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20201231_114257.jpg
    IMG_20201231_114257.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 72

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, Iam doing my best to record him but everytime that I come to close to the glass he goes away. This is frustrating because this fish was eating in my hand three days ago (like a puffer).
I guess he is a little bit more interested in food today but still weird and not eating very much, Just a few bittings on the clams.
I noticed that one or two times in a day he behaves more normally: swimming around the tank, bitting the clam a little bit, putting himself as the "Boss" of the tank but this behavior is short and after few minutes he comes to the corner of the tank and remains there, not interested in anything.
I don't see any visible disease issues in the pictures or video. I even can see in the video where it takes a glance at a bit of clam, but doesn't really bite it. Respiration rate seems normal. If the fish wasn't quarantined, it could very well have flukes, or develop an ich infection, but I do not see those as being the cause of why this fish suddenly stopped feeding.

So, it has been off feed for around 48 hours now? Anything unusual that it might have been fed 72 hours or so ago? Any food that might have been spoiled? I worry about giving it a FW dip or moving it with no real evidence of an external infection. What if you wait another 24 hours? Do you have access to live mussels or live clams? You could open one up and leave it on the bottom of the tank for a few hours.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another shots. Terrible quality. Iam sorry.

Thk u

D.

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_120146.jpg
    IMG_20201231_120146.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201231_120144.jpg
    IMG_20201231_120144.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20201231_120143.jpg
    IMG_20201231_120143.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 70
  • VID_20201231_120054.mp4
    77.4 MB
OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any visible disease issues in the pictures or video. I even can see in the video where it takes a glance at a bit of clam, but doesn't really bite it. Respiration rate seems normal. If the fish wasn't quarantined, it could very well have flukes, or develop an ich infection, but I do not see those as being the cause of why this fish suddenly stopped feeding.

So, it has been off feed for around 48 hours now? Anything unusual that it might have been fed 72 hours or so ago? Any food that might have been spoiled? I worry about giving it a FW dip or moving it with no real evidence of an external infection. What if you wait another 24 hours? Do you have access to live mussels or live clams? You could open one up and leave it on the bottom of the tank for a few hours.

Jay
Thk u Jay.

Sadly I don't have access to live clam or mussels here. But I can try to go to São Paulo city to search for It. I live 100km far from São Paulo. I don't think that I could get sth like that today or even tomorrow due to new years day. I will try on monday.
Nothing different happened, one day he was the boss of the tank, eating like a puffer and on the other day he looks like a recently collected regal angel.
My HT is ready, so If he presents any specific disease sign I can move him to HT and start medications ASAP. I will follow your advice and wait more 24hs before any measure. The fish is fat, so I guess he can handle one more day.

Thk u very much.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal that I’ve had over a year started acting the same way all of a sudden. Initially I suspected flukes but before my order of prazi showed up it was back to normal. It behaved strangely for about two weeks but has been fine after that.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I noticed is when he is acting weird the black eye mask is strong and when he is behaving in a more normal way (one or two times a day for a few minutes) the Black mask fades a little bit. This seems to be more an effect than a cause but this is the only "body signal" that i can detect.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My regal that I’ve had over a year started acting the same way all of a sudden. Initially I suspected flukes but before my order of prazi showed up it was back to normal. It behaved strangely for about two weeks but has been fine after that.
Thk u MichaelE, I hope this is my case. Did your fish stop feeding also?

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corals at this moment, so i will decrease the light intesity a little bit. Maybe he feels more confortable with less light.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, happy new year.

My regal still refuses any good (including masstick, shrimp, clams, flakes). Iam trying to find some live brine shrimp. However, despite his starvation I guess his behavior is improving a little bit. I mean, he is swimming more and he is a little bit less scared. He investigates clam shells but he is not eating.
No specific disease signals yet. HT ready but for now he remains in DT.

If anyone has any new advice, please do it.

I wish u a healthy and happy 2021!

D.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back