Regal Angel spitting out food

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently got a regal angel for my new 120 gallon fowlr, and it takes a nip at almost everything I offer (pellets, flakes, clam on half shell, masstick) but always ends up spitting them out and not taking another bite until I offer a fresh one which once again proceeds to nip at and spit. I've looked through the forums only to find people saying they don't take any foods and can't find any resources on the fish spitting out food. I know it's a very hard fish to feed, but this is different from the fish just refusing to eat. It literally picks at anything i drop in the tank only to spit it out and repeat if I drop more food. The fish is not that shy and will nip flake food from my fingers if I hold it in the tank for like 10 seconds.

I've had the fish for 6 days now and it's still nice and fat, but doesn't swallow any of the foods I offer. It lives in a 30 gallon bare bottom quarantine tank with pvcs for hiding spots, and I really want it to start eating soon so I can go through my QT procedure. I will post a video of it nipping the food and spitting it out tomorrow when I feed it again. I'd appreciate any insight, Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently got a regal angel for my new 120 gallon fowlr, and it takes a nip at almost everything I offer (pellets, flakes, clam on half shell, masstick) but always ends up spitting them out and not taking another bite until I offer a fresh one which once again proceeds to nip at and spit. I've looked through the forums only to find people saying they don't take any foods and can't find any resources on the fish spitting out food. I know it's a very hard fish to feed, but this is different from the fish just refusing to eat. It literally picks at anything i drop in the tank only to spit it out and repeat if I drop more food. The fish is not that shy and will nip flake food from my fingers if I hold it in the tank for like 10 seconds.

I've had the fish for 6 days now and it's still nice and fat, but doesn't swallow any of the foods I offer. It lives in a 30 gallon bare bottom quarantine tank with pvcs for hiding spots, and I really want it to start eating soon so I can go through my QT procedure. I will post a video of it nipping the food and spitting it out tomorrow when I feed it again. I'd appreciate any insight, Thank you!
I've seen this in fish - not sure of all of the potential causes though. In some rare cases, it is due to a mechanical blockage, the fish takes food into its mouth, but cannot swallow past the blockage. I've seen this in angelfish that have previously eaten something indigestible - a bit of silicone, some coral glue, etc.

In new fish though, I see sometimes where the fish picks at food, doesn't "like it" for whatever reason, spits it out, and then, the feeding response gets less and less over time.

How large is the fish? If not too large, you could try live baby brine shrimp. Another thing to try would be live black worms if you can get them.

Jay

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this in fish - not sure of all of the potential causes though. In some rare cases, it is due to a mechanical blockage, the fish takes food into its mouth, but cannot swallow past the blockage. I've seen this in angelfish that have previously eaten something indigestible - a bit of silicone, some coral glue, etc.

In new fish though, I see sometimes where the fish picks at food, doesn't "like it" for whatever reason, spits it out, and then, the feeding response gets less and less over time.

How large is the fish? If not too large, you could try live baby brine shrimp. Another thing to try would be live black worms if you can get them.

Jay
Aw man if it was mechanical blockage, is there any remedies for it? I am going to try live BBS as soon as it hatches. Thank you for the advice!

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the video of the regal spitting out food, it’s kind of hard to see it spit out the food but it doesn’t swallow it at all, just spits it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3761.MOV
    23.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the video of the regal spitting out food, it’s kind of hard to see it spit out the food but it doesn’t swallow it at all, just spits it out.

Oh - that's a real heartbreaker! It looks SO good! For a new regal to come up and hand feed like that is amazing! Are you sure it isn't swallowing some of that? I didn't see the usual "poof" of uneaten food coming back out of the fish in the video (might not have been clear enough to see it though).

Try the LBB and fingers crossed!

Jay

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns out the Regal was just getting used to the new food or something. It now eats pellets and flakes without a problem and has finished TTM and Prazi treatment. It still does not take any frozen foods nor did it show interest in the BBS but I'm fine with it just taking the flakes and pellets. Thank you for the advices everyone!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back