Regal angel

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an indian ocean regal a week or so ago and have it in quarantine right now. She has developed some white blotches on her fins. My guess is fungus, but need some more experienced answers. I tried doing a paraguard dip but it did not help. Her behavior is normal and she is still eating nutramar ova well. Here are some pictures of the disease on her caudal fin. I will try to get some clearer/brighter pictures tonight.
DSC_6185_zpsauknjn0r.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is lympho:
Lymphocystis

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Lymphocystis.257461/

Lympho is viral, and rarely fatal. Vitamin-enriched foods and clean water usually help move it along.

But, there has been some crazy bacterial stuff going around, so I'd just keep an eye on it. If the fins start to look tattered or it develops other white or red blotches or a film on its body, it could indicate infection.

Also, if it develops more spots on it's body or starts flashing/scratching on the tank or decorations, breathing heavily, swimming into the flow, etc there could be parasites at play.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is lympho:
Lymphocystis

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Lymphocystis.257461/

Lympho is viral, and rarely fatal. Vitamin-enriched foods and clean water usually help move it along.

But, there has been some crazy bacterial stuff going around, so I'd just keep an eye on it. If the fins start to look tattered or it develops other white or red blotches or a film on its body, it could indicate infection.

Also, if it develops more spots on it's body or starts flashing/scratching on the tank or decorations, breathing heavily, swimming into the flow, etc there could be parasites at play.

Thanks! I'll bump up the feedings a little more and soak in selcon.
Every now and then she twitches in place. I've only seen this a few times so far. Not sure if that's natural behavior or not. She does have a little chunk out of her pectoral fin but I assume that came from the wrasse she was with.

That wrasse died a few days ago and I did notice some red blotches/marks inside of its tail.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, the wrasse death has me a little concerned. Was there any unusual behavior prior? Heavy breathing, scratching/flashing on decorations, swimming into flow, etc. Were the blotches there before it died or only after?

Are you planning on any prophylactic treatments while in QT?

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, the wrasse death has me a little concerned. Was there any unusual behavior prior? Heavy breathing, scratching/flashing on decorations, swimming into flow, etc. Were the blotches there before it died or only after?

Are you planning on any prophylactic treatments while in QT?

No unusual behavior that I saw other than scratching a little (Couple times a day). He was swimming and eating well the day before. The blotches appeared the night before and she was dead the next morning. I run praziquantel and am planning on using metro+focus. I also did a methyline blue and paraguard dip.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest treating for ich prophylactically as well as running prazi. You could save the metroplex feeding until you see white stringy poop. It's not needed otherwise. I agree that lymph could be the cause of the white spot.. watch it and if it gets bigger over the next couple days and doesn't drop off before 7 days then it's likely lymph. If it's ich it will drop off before 7 days is up, it won't get bigger at all and more will show up.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest treating for ich prophylactically as well as running prazi. You could save the metroplex feeding until you see white stringy poop. It's not needed otherwise. I agree that lymph could be the cause of the white spot.. watch it and if it gets bigger over the next couple days and doesn't drop off before 7 days then it's likely lymph. If it's ich it will drop off before 7 days is up, it won't get bigger at all and more will show up.

She is in the last 2 days of TTM so she should be relatively close to being free of ich. I also ran prazi for 48hrs total so far.
I think it is lymph. Ill keep an eye on it and keep feeding heavily.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is in the last 2 days of TTM so she should be relatively close to being free of ich. I also ran prazi for 48hrs total so far.
I think it is lymph. Ill keep an eye on it and keep feeding heavily.

Ah ok, I must of have missed where you mentioned TTM! Sorry about that. Then yeah, lymph is the best explanation at this point assuming there was no cross-contamination during transfers.

Arvin0677

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymph for sure. Add selcon and garlic to the food. Boost her immune system.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back