Regal angelfish lying on side gasping

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, the Regal Angel is my favorite. For me all of my fish go into a FW bath before going into my QT tank. On your next regal try to get one in the 2" to 3" range. They acclimate easier than the larger adults. And I know they are double in cost but the Indian Ocean or red sea are my choice over the blue belly.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS have healthy appearing fish because almost all of them keep fish in low levels of copper to suppress symptoms, but not eradicate the parasites.

Also, many LFS move and sell fish before they can appear sick.
+1!

Sorry for your loss!

OP
OP
JTreef

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. The strain of velvet going around in the industry these days is deadly without any of the usual warning signals. I lost a whole qt tank full of fish a few months back. Brutal. Between the collectors using cyanide and dynamite, and the industry using sub-therapeutic levels of copper to sell fish in decent looking condition, it leaves us reefers shaking our heads. It's discouraging at times that you have to setup an Fish Emergency Room for any fish purchases. Knowledge makes us wish we had more experience. Keep your head up JT. Been there.

Sorry for your loss... :(

Sorry for your loss, the Regal Angel is my favorite. For me all of my fish go into a FW bath before going into my QT tank. On your next regal try to get one in the 2" to 3" range. They acclimate easier than the larger adults. And I know they are double in cost but the Indian Ocean or red sea are my choice over the blue belly.

+1!

Sorry for your loss!

Thank you for the kind words. Definitely disappointed, a Regal is a fish I've been looking for since 2010. They don't come in at the 4" size very often around here. Going to take it as a learning experience. Read through all of the sticky's on this forum on quarantine. Try a Red Sea/Indian Ocean variant some time in the future. Get a few more meds for emergencies. Thanks again!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. :( Velvet is a devastating disease, and you have to move fast to save the fish when behavioral symptoms (heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, purposely avoiding light) are first detected.

Acriflavine is the second step of my 1-2-3 punch for defeating Marine Velvet Disease, and I encourage everyone to keep some on hand just in case: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

Acriflavine, and a bottle of copper (or Chloroquine phosphate) are essential to have ASAP for treating velvet. If you have to mail order it, then it will probably be too late. :(

OP
OP
JTreef

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humblefish. I’m definitely going to get that and several other chems on order. Also a copper test kit. Rather not use Formalin unless I have too.

Yes, I am glad that at least he was in quarantine! A lot of the fish I have now I’ve had for 5+. Be terrible to lose them.
Sorry the same thing happened to you. It’s difficult to lose such beautiful fish.

Devan Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humblefish. I’m definitely going to get that and several other chems on order. Also a copper test kit. Rather not use Formalin unless I have too.

Yes, I am glad that at least he was in quarantine! A lot of the fish I have now I’ve had for 5+. Be terrible to lose them.
Sorry the same thing happened to you. It’s difficult to lose such beautiful fish.
yes it is, but that loss forced me to set up a QT. only need to kill off few fish or nuke a whole system until you take a serious look at QT. I used to feel that if i used a good LFS and really inspected the fish i'd be ok...not really the case anymore.

OP
OP
JTreef

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a ich breakout in my display. Been doing quarantine ever since. First time I’ve run into flukes or velvet. I was unprepared for velvet if that’s what killed the regal.

Michael E Hedges

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mid pacific (Tahiti, Bora Bora )grey belly regal angel, after about a week or so from saltwater fish.com was doing great, eating like a champ especially bloodworms and mysis, then yesterday started flopping around under the filter outlet. Moved him to solitary 20 gal hospital tank. Lays down or against glass only to struggle swimming briefly to eat and lays down again. Trying prazipro now and hoping he will recover.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mid pacific (Tahiti, Bora Bora )grey belly regal angel, after about a week or so from saltwater fish.com was doing great, eating like a champ especially bloodworms and mysis, then yesterday started flopping around under the filter outlet. Moved him to solitary 20 gal hospital tank. Lays down or against glass only to struggle swimming briefly to eat and lays down again. Trying prazipro now and hoping he will recover.

That doesn't sound good at all. Not sure what is going on, but some additional information would be helpful. Here is a link to some hints as to what background info we might needs to try and figure out what is going on here:

Jay

Back