Regal tang ich,velvet how to help ?

MORGANpl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my regal tang is ill. I got him about 10 years and in this time he was ill maybe 5 times. Usually when I saw something on him I add Polyp lab reef safe medic for few days and he was fine. This time he is already after one week of adding the polyp lab medic and melafix&pimafix. He is eating fine just still have something on his body. I don't have QT so I can only use medicine that's reef safe. Is there anything I can help him? Freshwater dip?? I never did it so no experience in that. Will this help him or stress him more?

DSC_8943.JPG
DSC_8949.JPG

DSC_8946.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it had this? Do the white spots protrude from the skin? If so, it sent head and lateral line erosion. Have you added any animals recently? If you haven’t added anything new in perhaps the last 3 months or so, this probably isn’t an infective disease. At this point, I’d say it is mucus that hepatus tangs are prone to when stressed....but I can’t say what the stress might be.
Jay

OP
OP
M

MORGANpl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it had this? Do the white spots protrude from the skin? If so, it sent headband lateral line erosion. Have you added any animals recently? If you haven’t added anything new in perhaps the last 3 months or so, this probably isn’t an infective disease. At this point, I’d say it is mucus that hepatus tangs are prone to when stressed....but I can’t say what the stress might be.
Jay
Hi. I didn't add anything to the tank for very very long time. It has this now bit over a week. On beginning he use to have something like velvet but that has more or less come off. Second step was the fins start to show some signs of erosion...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider, if this developed slowly over weeks/months is that it is Mycobacteria. That is seen in long term captive fish. there is no treatment, and worse yet, the variety of symptoms are astounding, so it can't be easily identified visually with any degree of certainty. In this case, the fin erosion would be the biggest thing pointing to that issue.

If it is just excess mucus production, I wrote an article that talks about that here:

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back