Regular distilled water vs RO / DI system

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think distilled water has become a marketing name rather than a technical name. If you read the fine print on the bottle, some that say distilled water in large print will say in small print something like "produced by xxxxxx method" - where that could be distilling, ultrafiltration, or reverse osmosis, maybe even a few other things, or maybe a multi-step method. I suspect is has to meet some final spec, and they get away with using whatever method they can that meets the final spec for distilled water, if there is one. I'm not saying the water isn't good, I'm just saying you have to be careful about generalizing what may be in it based on your notion of how you think they make it.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Desalination by distillation uses copper coils. How do you know other users do not?

from it:

Desalination plants remove salt and other minerals from saline waters to produce fresh water suitable for human consumption or irrigation.

Their technologies fall into three major categories: Multi-Stage Flash (MSF) distillation, Multiple Effect Distillation (MED), and reverse osmosis. Copper alloys are used extensively in the thermal plants: MSF and MED.

Copper-nickel alloys C70600 (90-10 Cu-Ni), C71500 (70-30 Cu-Ni) and C71640 (66-30-2-2 Cu-Ni) are used and perform well due to their corrosion resistance under high chloride and temperature conditions.
Well, we are talking complete distillation and not desalinization. While desalinization can be done via a distillation process it’s not sold or labeled as distilled.
I contacted Arrowhead water (a subsidiary of Nestle) and asked if there where any copper was in the water or if copper pipes where used in their Distillation process.
Here is the answer and a water report as well.
You can see from this report that copper is Not Detected in any of our Arrowhead water.
Also, there is no copper piping supplying our water distillation units, and the primary contact surfaces for our water are mainly stainless steel. Water distillation units are also manufactured mainly of non-copper materials and ongoing monitoring of distilled water products and purified water from our distillation units for any detectable copper concentrations confirm the absence of copper residues.

Hope this helps.
Margaret Frank
Consumer Satisfaction Ambassador

You can plainly see by the water report that Distilled water is the purest And has no copper.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plainly see by the water report that Distilled water is the purest And has no copper.

it says copper is below the reportable limit of 0.05 ppm. Might be 0.04 ppm or 40 ppb. Too much for a reef (IMO).

And that is one analysis from one name brand manufacturer. What about cheapo brand distilled water? No data exists.

Again, it may be fine. May be fine in some or all cases. may be not fine in some cases.

Folks should just stop making assertions that it does not contain copper and stick to what they actually know: "I know folks who use it OK".

Last edited:
Back