Regular Tang Behavior?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a good bit about sharks, but not bony fish honestly. I'm just wondering if my tomini tang seems to be acting normal? He eats every time I feed him. No spots or discolorations. Just swimming back and forth in one spot. Any thoughts? He's currently in a 20 gallon QT tank. I know a lot of people treat fish in a QT as a prophylactic, but I don't want to do that unless completely necessary. I really like these tangs by the way, absolutely gorgeous.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a good bit about sharks, but not bony fish honestly. I'm just wondering if my tomini tang seems to be acting normal? He eats every time I feed him. No spots or discolorations. Just swimming back and forth in one spot. Any thoughts? He's currently in a 20 gallon QT tank. I know a lot of people treat fish in a QT as a prophylactic, but I don't want to do that unless completely necessary. I really like these tangs by the way, absolutely gorgeous.
Love my tomini. How big is yours? If he’s any bigger than a quarter, he’s likely feeling a little cramped. @ngoodermuth

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's bigger than a quarter? They get 6 inches long according to my knowledge. I'd say hes about the size of a half dollar right now.
I asked because mine is really little. I call him the TeenyTinyTomini. But even really small, he is constantly on the move.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he the only fish in the QT? He might feel a little uncomfortable without other dither fish to show him the coast is clear...

My former kole was in QT by himself and wouldn’t come out of his pipe, even to eat, until I’d left the room. Once he was in the DT with other fish, he behaved perfectly normal.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can’t see the entire QT so forgive me if there’s more outside the camera view, but doesn’t look like there is much cover there for him? Maybe adding a couple PVC elbows for hiding spots will help him relax.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he the only fish in the QT? He might feel a little uncomfortable without other dither fish to show him the coast is clear...

My former kole was in QT by himself and wouldn’t come out of his pipe, even to eat, until I’d left the room. Once he was in the DT with other fish, he behaved perfectly normal.
Yes he's the only i fish in the qt.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can’t see the entire QT so forgive me if there’s more outside the camera view, but doesn’t look like there is much cover there for him? Maybe adding a couple PVC elbows for hiding spots will help him relax.
I have a couple pieces of rock providing an arch, I will add a few pieces of pvc. So you think this is a healthy mildy stressed fish?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple pieces of rock providing an arch, I will add a few pieces of pvc. So you think this is a healthy mildy stressed fish?

From what I can tell in a short video clip... but you have a better view, being the caretaker:)

Back