Rehab Fungia from LFS

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was watching some corals in the display tank at the LFS for a month or two. Finally one day I walked in and saw them and decided to pull the trigger.. I thought to myself, if I don't take these home they will be dead in a few days and I was offered $15 each to take them home. Done.

The Fungia's health seems to be good because it's fully inflated 95% of the time and sucks down food like reef roids and today I believe it ate a shrimp morsel.. I've noticed that it will spit out the reef roids after 5 minutes if I feed it IF I feed more than a light dusting, however I attributed that to a damaged or lack of a stomach. Visually I noticed the stomach looked like the skeleton ridges was significantly visible the first few days I had it.

Its not seemingly reattaching to its skeleton yet, but still looks super healthy with all things considered.
I'm looking for people who have any first hand advice and experiences.

The other coral that I brought home that day was a Metallic Stripe Open Brain Trachy. I also choose this one because I have another in the same tank that is in good health. Both Trachies are eating and inflated and the damaged one is healing quickly. I also dose Coral Amino by hand to the water column and I'm experimenting with hydrating shrimp with amino acids to "gut load" the food.
Side note, I also bought a rehab skeleton frogspawn a few months back and it has a new bud!! Ssuper exciting.

OP
OP
Ethan Zier

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top two pictures are most recent (same day to)
20190710_161128.jpg 20190710_182148.jpg 20190702_173238.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are looking much better!

OP
OP
Ethan Zier

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little of an update. So far the Fungia has been eating morsels of shrimp readily and has displayed possible growth as well. This weekend ill give it some reefroids again see if the coral eats it, or pushes it away from its mouth again..
That will tell me a lot.
My goal is to record my findings while trying to save specific coral species.

I have the Trachy in rehab as well as a bouble coral skeleton and euphyllia I'm working on as "gone" or rehab coral. All of which are going well.

20190822_214135.jpg

Matthew Russell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was watching some corals in the display tank at the LFS for a month or two. Finally one day I walked in and saw them and decided to pull the trigger.. I thought to myself, if I don't take these home they will be dead in a few days and I was offered $15 each to take them home. Done.

The Fungia's health seems to be good because it's fully inflated 95% of the time and sucks down food like reef roids and today I believe it ate a shrimp morsel.. I've noticed that it will spit out the reef roids after 5 minutes if I feed it IF I feed more than a light dusting, however I attributed that to a damaged or lack of a stomach. Visually I noticed the stomach looked like the skeleton ridges was significantly visible the first few days I had it.

Its not seemingly reattaching to its skeleton yet, but still looks super healthy with all things considered.
I'm looking for people who have any first hand advice and experiences.

The other coral that I brought home that day was a Metallic Stripe Open Brain Trachy. I also choose this one because I have another in the same tank that is in good health. Both Trachies are eating and inflated and the damaged one is healing quickly. I also dose Coral Amino by hand to the water column and I'm experimenting with hydrating shrimp with amino acids to "gut load" the food.
Side note, I also bought a rehab skeleton frogspawn a few months back and it has a new bud!! Ssuper exciting.
Looks like you’re on the right track

Back