Reloaded Pi - cant connect to puTTy puTTy or my PC - HELP please.

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I am hoping for some help please.
Reef pi was working well, then I lost connection to my PC but the reefpi was working, I could not fiz it so I rebooted everything.

Robo-tank reep pi 4 - was working well, then no connection?????
I have a screen and keyboard connected to the Pi to help select options.
SSH turned on.

So I have formatted the SSD, loaded everything and it all seems to work but I cant connect to my PC again.

My router shows the Raspberry Pi is connected and I have the IP address 192.168.1.18 - but can not connect.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I am hoping for some help please.
Reef pi was working well, then I lost connection to my PC but the reefpi was working, I could not fiz it so I rebooted everything.

Robo-tank reep pi 4 - was working well, then no connection?????
I have a screen and keyboard connected to the Pi to help select options.
SSH turned on.

So I have formatted the SSD, loaded everything and it all seems to work but I cant connect to my PC again.

My router shows the Raspberry Pi is connected and I have the IP address 192.168.1.18 - but can not connect.
I have a guy on his way to me at the moment with very similar issues that I'm going to try and help. I battled with similar connection issues when I set up my last Reef-Pi installation, and it wasn't Reef-Pi related - it was even before I installed Reef-Pi. I have a feeling it is somehow Raspbian related. I eventually had two IP addresses - one for wifi and one for LAN connection. It was confusing, but it managed to resolve itself.

Unfortunately I don't really know enough, but I muddle through.

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is what I get...
why does it come up with 192.168.1.24?

IMG_3153.JPG

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting close to the point I will give up on this robo tank / reef pi combo.
It was working well but now it seems there is no way I can make it connect.
Shame because it is cool when it was working.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well something is definitely rerouting traffic from 192.168.1.18 to 192.168.1.24
To be honest I have never used the pi before but this is more about TCP/IP networking.

Are these multiple network interfaces on the pi? Are you running both WIFI and Ethernet perhaps? If so you might want to see about turning one of them off? On some systems, running both Ethernet and WIFI at the same time on the same machine can cause connectivity issues.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is what I get...
why does it come up with 192.168.1.24?

IMG_3153.JPG
192.168.1.24 is an another device on your network and it knows ~.18 is not there. This is equivalent of no reply. If you have monitor and keyboard connected you can check what is the actual IP of the PI.
Set the device to DHCP for now for IP configuration that should give you a new IP and you will be possibly ok. If on your network you want to have a fix IP set it outside of the DHCP scope or at least to a range no other device would go using DHCP.
This is on a home router likely the Higher numbers like ~.250. Avoid the IP of~.1 and .254 as this likely used bu your rooter and you also can’t use ~.0 (network) and ~.255 (broadcast)

I think what we see in here is either an IP conflict or just simply different IP than you expect.

use tools like Advanced IP scanner for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well something is definitely rerouting traffic from 192.168.1.18 to 192.168.1.24
To be honest I have never used the pi before but this is more about TCP/IP networking.

Are these multiple network interfaces on the pi? Are you running both WIFI and Ethernet perhaps? If so you might want to see about turning one of them off? On some systems, running both Ethernet and WIFI at the same time on the same machine can cause connectivity issues.
That should not matter how many network adapter connected to the same network. If a request comes to one adapter the same adapter will respond (always)

outgoing traffic is different. You can’t tell which adapter will be used if you have 2 adapter on the same network unless advanced configuration exist which is unlikely the case af a fresh PI install

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should not matter how many network adapter connected to the same network. If a request comes to one adapter the same adapter will respond (always)

outgoing traffic is different. You can’t tell which adapter will be used if you have 2 adapter on the same network unless advanced configuration exist which is unlikely the case af a fresh PI install
It's not how many network adapters on the same network but it's more a matter of how many adapters on the same machine connecting to the same network. Trust me, ethernet and wifi do not play well together on the same machine.

Let me clarify this a bit more. Some OS (Windows 10 for example) has built in bridging mechanism built in that will allow simultaneous connections using WIFI and ethernet but others (earlier Windows 7 and 8) do not have this unless you install a third party bridging software to allow that. Since PI is opensource and linux based I highly doubt it has this capability out of the box, not without advanced OS configuration at least.

Last edited:

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... If on your network you want to have a fix IP set it outside of the DHCP scope or at least to a range no other device would go using DHCP.
This is on a home router likely the Higher numbers like ~.250. Avoid the IP of~.1 and .254 as this likely used bu your rooter and you also can’t use ~.0 (network) and ~.255 (broadcast)
This is a great idea actually.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easier if the OP would tell us what his network configuration is like on the PI versus what the DHCP config is on the router.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not how many network adapters on the same network but it's more a matter of how many adapters on the same machine connecting to the same network. Trust me, ethernet and wifi do not play well together on the same machine.

Let me clarify this a bit more. Some OS (Windows 10 for example) has built in bridging mechanism built in that will allow simultaneous connections using WIFI and ethernet but others (earlier Windows 7 and 8) do not have this unless you install a third party bridging software to allow that. Since PI is opensource and linux based I highly doubt it has this capability out of the box, not without advanced OS configuration at least.
I am not sure where is bridging comes to play here. I really don’t want to start a networking jargon talk as it will not help the OP to hear about network layers involved in this but those protocols involved in this issue haven’t changed in decades.

You are right connection to both adapters at the same time is not practical (performance issue) but also not wrong no matter whether it is unix (Linux) or Windows (any really).

if the same DHCP server configures both adapter on the same host and same network the adapters will be weighted by the opening system. This is why you don’t know which one will be used if you starting a communication from the host.

pinging the host from an another host however is an incoming connection and all responses will be answered from the same adapter unless there is routing configured between the the interfaces which is not there by default.

as per pi the default configuration is DHCP configured IP addresses on all adapters and from experience I know both will answer to ICMP requests such as ping just fine on the same network out of box.

On average I have 20 devices on my network at home (except when I am working) so I have a feeling ~.18 is already in use by something else on the OPs network. If he has the ~.18 configured as a fix IP he most likely has an IP conflict. Since we have not enough information of his network layout and it’s configuration we will just guessing.

sorry I am already talking too much

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guy - and thanks for your help.
My PC is on WIFI.

Question....
In the instructions to load the puTTY / puTTy - it says to add the couple of files to the folder. As I have a screen and keyboard connected to the pi I have not done this, instead I have gone in to menu options and turned on SSH etc. Can this be a problem?

I am going to do a reload again...
I have a feeling it has to do with the .18 address like suggested but have no idea how to resolve the problem.
I do remember trying to lock the IP address months ago when a power outage or reboot the address would change and I ended up with .18 which I cant unlock?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be that the files they're telling you to add to putty is SSH key? If so without that key, the SSH connection is not possible.

More details on these files would help?

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - its getting worse....
I have added the two files and now get the following...

sudo raspi-config
1- system options
S1 - Wireless LAN - enter SSID

could not communicate with wpa_supplicant
the wpa_supplicant.conf file is a CONF File type - is that OK?

getting more lost as this goes on...

OP
OP
Dukereefnz

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebooted again - this time i only added the SSH file.
I have wifi connection 192.168.1.4

I can see the pi on my router but cant get SSh connection.
Check that it is turned on and it is.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back