Relocating into an apartment while new house gets built. How can I save all my liverock? What do I do with the coral?

OdinPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're going to be building a new home, and during that time the wife and I are going to have to sell our current house and relocate into an apartment for 8-12 months while the new house gets built. I am planning on bringing my 40 gal with me, and saving the fish that are more precious to me, but Im not sure what to do with the 90 gallon. I'm going to be doing a monster build in the new home, and will need all the rock I can get. I would like to keep what I have to save money down the line, but I have a bunch of coral all over the rocks. Mostly softies like Zoa's, mushrooms, and some Acans.

I know that I can probably get a couple trash cans to store the rock in, but what about the coral? What do people do when they want to keep their rock, but have corals attached and growing off of it? Also if I were to store the rock for that long of a period of time, how often would I have to change the water the rocks are sitting in?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you lease constrained from setting up the 90?

If so, I'd see if a friend could keep it for me. Another option would be to look into a Tractor Supply feeding trough and just keep the rock/coral in warmed water with circulation.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just sell it off. Start new. Apts are not very big.
Your pay rate X the time you spend will outweigh what you save.
If you are truly doing a monster build, get a resale certificate and buy the rock wholesale from a place like Marco rock. They sell a 1200 lb box

OP
OP
OdinPrime

OdinPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all good points... I guess I should just sell out the 90 gallon, since the rock in there wont really make a huge dent when im going to end up needing 1000lbs or so at the end of the day. Thanks for the input!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back