Relocation to Madison area

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on cities around Madison for relocation. Any recommendations for nice areas to be looking within reasonable 15-20 minutes drive from the hospitals downtown?

Also open to recommendations on rentals that might allow big reef tanks? :p You know, because the housing market is insane.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nitro. I work for Madison City Engineering. There are a lot of out of city areas you may be interested in. I actually work downtown but live in Monticello. While it is a 45 minute commute I will take the country drive over the same length of time to go 12 miles down the belt line.

Would help to know where you/family will be working. As for doctors and hospitals most of the bigger health insurances have been springing up clinics and urgent cares all over the greater Madison areas and hospitals are no longer just downtown. Give us some more specifics and we can make some better recommendations. Family, kids, school type etc.

I will say that the current trend in single family is big houses on small lots. Not my style. If I want the neighbors over for dinner I will invite them and we won’t have to pass the rolls thru the window….LOL.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved up here 3 years ago and live in Evansville. It is also about 45 min from down town but also 25 min to Janesville so gives you two big towns to choose from. I work construction on the east and west side and make for easy commute.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I think suburban area surrounding Madison seems best. Possibly on the Southwest or West sides to avoid travel down the beltline into the downtown area. Will be working many hours at various hospitals in the city and taking a lot of call shifts. I think, technically, I should/am required to be around 15 minutes from the hospital when on call.

Initially looking at Middleton and Verona. House prices seem crazy for what you get, but I think that might just be everywhere at the current time. I found some houses that look nice in Stoughton and Oregon, although that's stretching it a bit with the minutes-to-downtown, and I'm not sure those are prices I should realistically look at paying for a probable temporary home, anyway.

Kind of a tough situation it seems like to be trying to get a mortgage approved, finding a house in this market, and moving in June. Wish I could have started looking earlier but for contracts and other reasons the house hunt will be a short time-frame.

Side note- excited to be in the Madison area where there is actually a big reefing community! =)

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another out there question, since I've never inquired about it, but does anybody know if any high rise style apartment complexes allow big fish tanks? I'd be open to moving to a high rise apartment complex downtown Madison if one says ok to 200 gallons of saltwater. Maybe a lot of calls in the future, unless you guys know off the top of your head.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoughton and Oregon are nice towns just outside the Madison area. But you will probably have a hard time finding a rental place that will let you keep that big of a tank. Lots of risk if something goes wrong. I say if your only going to be in the area for a short would definitely try and find a rental. You best bet would be to call and see if they allow fish tanks and if so how big. Yes Madison has a good size reefing community as does the Chicago area and milwaukee area. All within a reasonable drive.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Wisconsin! My house is in Madison, 12 minutes from downtown. McFarland is just across the street. We love the small town feel yet it's still close to everything. There are several new apartment buildings in the area and more going up. Good luck with your move.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I live in Monona and am a nurse in the ER at UW. Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions. Do you have kids (is school district a consideration)?

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School district not a consideration at this time. Turns out there is an apartment, The Marling, that would take a total 200 gallon volume with renters insurance, but even then I'm kind of in the decision to have to get rid of the tank if I go apartment living. Seems like too much of a hassle. A house came up that we liked and have an offer in with location just southwest of the city. Will see if we get it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the The Marling. A friend of ours recently moved out of there. The place was thrown together with the cheapest appointments possible. It's unfortunate because the place is only a few years old.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back