REMINDER: Before you Advise Know Size/Gallon of OP’s Tank

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly reminder. I am seeing frequent suggestions of fish totally inappropriate for tanks due to their size. So before you post, look back to see size of OP’s tank. If it is not listed - ask for it. I’ve seen this happen at lot lately. Often seeing inappropriate fish for tanks that are only 15 or 20 gal.

Also for some tangs remember that length ( just volume) is important. Many tangs, triggers etc. need take length for their swimming pattern.

This avoids members (or yourself) from having to correct misinformation.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friendly reminder. I am seeing frequent suggestions of fish totally inappropriate for tanks due to their size. So before you post, look back to see size of OP’s tank. If it is not listed - ask for it. I’ve seen this happen at lot lately. Often seeing inappropriate fish for tanks that are only 15 or 20 gal.

Also for some tangs remember that length ( just volume) is important. Many tangs, triggers etc. need take length for their swimming pattern.

Good reminder. Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes thank you for the great reminder!

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a good reminder! I just bought a Tang for my 10g tank after the advice..... just kidding! I think there are some people that don't take enough time to research a topic. If i'm not sure about something with my tank (or anything at that) I will use the heck out of the search function and read multiple threads before I post a thread on the forum asking for help. don't get me wrong here, posting a thread is beneficial for archiving the information, but 8 times out of 10 the information is out there. now if there is something so specific, then we can open up the can of worms.

in the end, thank you for the reminder!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, and a lot of people like to parrot off info they’ve only read, without having actual experience with the fish in question either. That’s annoying too.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally disagree ...You can always return the fish to the LFS when it outgrows your tank. even tangs! here come the police! haha

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree ...You can always return the fish to the LFS when it outgrows your tank. even tangs! here come the police! haha
tangpolice2.jpg

Be scared be very scared.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back