Removing Bubble algae

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My emerald crabs will not go in my shroom box. I don’t really have much bubble algae except on this disk of Neptune Bounces.

Two questions, what’s the best method to remove without harming the shrooms, it’s easy to take out.
Second question, do you think the bubble algae is what’s causing these Neptune’s to multiply, perhaps as a food source or irritation?
5CAB127D-0590-4D97-A253-06EFE1278705.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lift out the disk, peel off algae. If you are worried about the algae near the shrooms, pop and pull with tweezers. Any shroom attached to algae, pop and leave.
As far as the second question, I have nothing there for you. Possible, but corals do the darndest things for the strangest reasons we will never know. If they stop multiplying after algae control, it is reasonable to surmise the algae had some impact...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lift out the disk, peel off algae. If you are worried about the algae near the shrooms, pop and pull with tweezers. Any shroom attached to algae, pop and leave.
As far as the second question, I have nothing there for you. Possible, but corals do the darndest things for the strangest reasons we will never know. If they stop multiplying after algae control, it is reasonable to surmise the algae had some impact...
Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll preform some surgery this weekend in a separate container.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEST soltution for bubble algae;
Do not try to remove it, you will spread it like wildfire as spores will flow to other areas.
Buy Red Sea’s Aipitasia X. Trust me on this, it works like a charm, learned this from a LFS and have been doing it for years.
Cut all flow in the tank. Put product over the bubbles with the seringe, careful to not let it touch coral tissue; it will burn sps, lps.
Let it sit on the bubbles for 15-30 mins. If you have any water movement removing the medication from the bubbles, it will not work. The medication has to stay over the bubbles as it burns them very effectively.
Turn on back flow and you will notice over the next few days the bubbles will turn white/clear and will disappear.
Dont believe it? Try it and post back what you saw.
Everything else fails and the issue only worsens

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had made a small water change siphon. Quarter inch id. i used a small pvc tube with a piece of tubing going to a bucket. Then i just scraped the bubbles while drawing water out of the tank. I haven't seen any bubbles in a couple months.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, been removing bubble algae with no problems or mass outbreaks. Try not to burst as then you have a greater likelihood of spore introduction and the reason you remove the disk to perform the procedure. Personally, I highly recommend you DO NOT use Apstasia X as it is designed to kill those annoying nems and shrooms are Cnidaria as well, so... Careful manual removal is the most effective method.

Last edited:

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aipitasia x is very safe unless applied right over the coral tissue. It is widely used by many hobbyists. Once flow is back, it dissipates in the water column and poses no risk to corals. Bubble algae cannot be 100% removed manually as there are tiny bubbles that WILL pop by scrapping or removal. I find it funny when i hear “manually remove it without popping them” like if they were large, easy to remove in the aquascape. They grow between crevices, places that are unreachable. Also patches can have hundreds of tiny ones that will burst by touch.

Spores will be released and although it might seem it was erradicated for a while, the spores will multiply and come back with a vengeance.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aipitasia x is very safe unless applied right over the coral tissue. It is widely used by many hobbyists. Once flow is back, it dissipates in the water column and poses no risk to corals. Bubble algae cannot be 100% removed manually as there are tiny bubbles that WILL pop by scrapping or removal. I find it funny when i hear “manually remove it without popping them” like if they were large, easy to remove in the aquascape. They grow between crevices, places that are unreachable. Also patches can have hundreds of tiny ones that will burst by touch.

Spores will be released and although it might seem it was erradicated for a while, the spores will multiply and come back with a vengeance.
I'm responding directly to the OP's circumstances and particular situation. I stand by my statements, based on the OP's photos and question, unequivocally.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BEST soltution for bubble algae;
Do not try to remove it, you will spread it like wildfire as spores will flow to other areas.
Buy Red Sea’s Aipitasia X. Trust me on this, it works like a charm, learned this from a LFS and have been doing it for years.
Cut all flow in the tank. Put product over the bubbles with the seringe, careful to not let it touch coral tissue; it will burn sps, lps.
Let it sit on the bubbles for 15-30 mins. If you have any water movement removing the medication from the bubbles, it will not work. The medication has to stay over the bubbles as it burns them very effectively.
Turn on back flow and you will notice over the next few days the bubbles will turn white/clear and will disappear.
Dont believe it? Try it and post back what you saw.
Everything else fails and the issue only worsens
I might have to try this in another area. Interesting technique, thanks! Too close to these shrooms on this Frag disk.

tomte25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck using Vibrant. Bulk Reef Supply just did a video with the guy who developed it. You may want to check it out.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing you can get it out of the tank to work on. I would just pull it out, scrape the bubbles off gently not break them. They are pretty hard. Then rinse the rock off.

I’ve got frags with bubble algae on them before. Just scraped and rinsed then added them to the tank. Never seen one in my tank.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put epoxy over the bubbles. Mix a coral epoxy two part piece, put superglue over the bubbles then glue the epoxy over making sure it is sealed over them. Careful not no press over the bubbles, just around them over the edges so the bubbles won't burst.

That is very effective

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back