Removing mushrooms without damaging rock

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post ways you had success removing mushrooms from rock without damaging rock or coral. Cant take the rock out of the tank.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you want to be able to keep the mushroom? if not kalk past, if so I believe there is no way. My mushrooms move so I thinking peeling it off with a razor blade and glueing it down I think they might be very unhappy about.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it's something you don't want, kalk paste. Turn off all pumps in the tank. Layer on some kalk paste and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then syphon off the mess into a bucket, being very careful to not spread the kalk paste into the water.

If it's something you want to keep, I keep a set of cheap wood chisels just for situations like this. Live rock will peel off as easy as wood with just a small amount of pressure from a chisel.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done myself but heard ice cube at base of anemone...maybe work for mushrooms too?

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea,
but I'm thinking thin rubber/latex gloves and gentle fingers are going to have the most success. Might have to just peel that mushy off. If it splits then you have two!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, but I don't want to chisel the rock or destroy the mushrooms :)

when I mentioned a chisel, don't think of it as having to have a hammer to go with it.
Think of it as a sharp tool with a good handle to hold it. Using the sharp blade ( key point) you shave off a thin layer ( 1/16th to 1/8th inch) of rock with the mushrooms.
I've used them many times to shave zoanthids off frag disks and plugs to reglue on rock.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I mentioned a chisel, don't think of it as having to have a hammer to go with it.
Think of it as a sharp tool with a good handle to hold it. Using the sharp blade ( key point) you shave off a thin layer ( 1/16th to 1/8th inch) of rock with the mushrooms.
I've used them many times to shave zoanthids off frag disks and plugs to reglue on rock.

hmmmm. This sounds smart. Peel off the coralline that mushy is attached to.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can reach them your best chance may be a pair of hemostats to grab the base and slowly peel it off. Even if you tear it up a little it will heal up in no time. If you can't reach them then you could try a powerhead pointed directly at them but as you know there's no telling were they will end up if they do let go.

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can reach them your best chance may be a pair of hemostats to grab the base and slowly peel it off. Even if you tear it up a little it will heal up in no time. If you can't reach them then you could try a powerhead pointed directly at them but as you know there's no telling were they will end up if they do let go.
hemostats , I had to google that one lol
hhhhhhhhhhh.jpg

OP
OP
Young Frankenstein

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry :) worked in construction :)

Back