Removing Red Sea plumbing from a 525XL

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 years without a tank, I was able to start again. I picked up a cracked Red Sea Reefer 525XL on Craigslist.

The original owner received the tank cracked and Red Sea replaced it, so he sold just the glass on CragsList.

The crack was on the overflow box above the waterline and non-structural. While fixing it (superglue), I took the opportunity to remove the metric Red Sea plumbing fittings.

The cracks. This is the inside of the front panel of the overflow.
index.php

I used braided fishing line, a carpet knife blade, Stanley blade and dental floss to remove the silicone between the glass panels. Once you have something through the seam, just run it backwards and forwards and let friction eat the silicone. This will take you several hours of careful work.
index.php

The bottom plastic fitting is siliconed to the glass. In order to remove it, I had to cut the silicone and then break it into pieces. The tool I used left small scratches on the surface of the glass. I have not yet tested if the bulkheads will seal over those small scratches.

Note that this basically MELTED the plastic. As such, it got hot, and I had to stop every minute and give it several minute to cool down, since I did not want to stress the glass with localized heating.

You can also see how the plastic fitting lines the top surface as well as the glass holes. When cutting through, I left the part inside the glass holes, and removed it later.
index.php

Here is the view from the bottom of the tank with just the plastic rings still in place. I gently cut the silicone from both sides with a Stanley blade.
index.php

The glass was scraped with a new Stanley blade, and then polished to remove silicone residue with #000 grade steel wool. This was done on all edges. They were then taped off, and black aquarium silicone was used to re-attach the original panel.

After a week of cure time, I started filling.
index.php

She lives! Here you can see the reflection of the holes (actually, you are seeing the reflection in the bottom panel of the glass).
index.php

When I get some time, I will be doing an 8020 stand for the tank in CAD, and then building it.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 years without a tank, I was able to start again. I picked up a cracked Red Sea Reefer 525XL on Craigslist.

The original owner received the tank cracked and Red Sea replaced it, so he sold just the glass on CragsList.

The crack was on the overflow box above the waterline and non-structural. While fixing it (superglue), I took the opportunity to remove the metric Red Sea plumbing fittings.

index.php

I used braided fishing line, a carpet knife blade, Stanley blade and dental floss to remove the silicone between the glass panels. Once you have something through the seam, just run it backwards and forwards and let friction eat the silicone. This will take you several hours of careful work.
index.php

The bottom plastic fitting is siliconed to the glass. In order to remove it, I had to cut the silicone and then break it into pieces. The tool I used left small scratches on the surface of the glass. I have not yet tested if the bulkheads will seal over those small scratches.

Note that this basically MELTED the plastic. As such, it got hot, and I had to stop every minute and give it several minute to cool down, since I did not want to stress the glass with localized heating.

You can also see how the plastic fitting lines the top surface as well as the glass holes. When cutting through, I left the part inside the glass holes, and removed it later.
index.php

Here is the view from the bottom of the tank with just the plastic rings still in place. I gently cut the silicone from both sides with a Stanley blade.
index.php

The glass was scraped with a new Stanley blade, and then polished to remove silicone residue with #000 grade steel wool. This was done on all edges. They were then taped off, and black aquarium silicone was used to re-attach the original panel.

index.php

She lives! Here you can see the reflection of the holes (actually, you are seeing the reflection in the bottom panel of the glass).
index.php

When I get some time, I will be doing an 8020 stand for the tank in CAD, and then building it.

Following along... I got kind of the samething... Dude gave me his xl 525. The fromt glass is cracked on the bottom right corner... I got a new piece of starphire glass to replace it... Now Im just trying to get the huevos to fix it... dont know where to start... hahahaah!!! Sounds like its not going to be a very easy job for me... any advice you can give me?
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very timely. I am about to do the same thing with a 750 xxl. One of the bulkhead fittings is cracked, so I figure I would change from the red sea proprietary fittings. I do not know if the 525 uses the same size but @mindwalkr if you get a moment could you measure the diameter of the drilled holes in the bottom glass. I do not have mine apart yet and am wondering what readily available bulkheads will fit or if i am going to have to turn/mill custom ones.
@PerplexyHexy mindwalker gave you some ideas about how to cut the silicon to remove the front panel. Here is another one and I have not used what mindwalkr suggested so do not know if it is better or not, but it only took me 15 minutes to cut an entire 125 gal apart. Use piano wire or fishing leader wire, I used 120 lb test. Create two handles using dowels 4-5" long. Attach the wire by wrapping it around the dowels and doing a haywire twist to secure it. Then pull the wire down thru the joint. Cuts like butta.

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, braided fishing line or steel leader or piano wire will work well. The thinner the better.

I believe the holes were 48mm. I got 1 inch bulkheads from BRS, but have not fitted them yet.

Get ABS bulkheads with thread on both sides (check carefully! The thread on the outside that the retaining nut screwed on to does NOT get used to connect your pipes). You want ABS because it is stronger.

If you want ones with less total height, check out Hayward. They do lots of agriculture fittings and pool stuff. See: http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/s...0286--1/bfas-series-bulkhead-fittings-bfas--1

Watch the spacing between holes! Some bulkheads with larger flanges will not fit.

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Was hoping for 51mm to use 1 1/4" bulkheads. On my 125 I have two 3/4" drains one in each corner overflow, plus emergency drains. Was a little skeptical of a single 1" drain. I will be doing Herbie style. And yes ABS Tread to Thread is definitely the way to go. Just did that on my 125, now this 750 xxl fell into my lap. Time to upgrade!

marioensf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pipes are the same diameter as the RSR 250, the perfect fit bulkheads are BRS Sch-80.

Did you take all glass peces apart or just siliconed the new glass piece in place? I have one that need the back glass but is my understanding that the whole tank has to come apart.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pipes are the same diameter as the RSR 250, the perfect fit bulkheads are BRS Sch-80.

Did you take all glass peces apart or just siliconed the new glass piece in place? I have one that need the back glass but is my understanding that the whole tank has to come apart.

Thats what I have heard as well... not to stoked on that project... i only need to replace the fromt piece, but it sounds more like all of them

Stoyan Kirkov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
What exactly 80/20 did you use and what is the cost? I have the same issue as you and following your steps. Thank you for the posts.

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design is on onshape dot com .... Open source cad design, including sump, pumping, skimmer, filters, calcium reactor, etc.

Not all the piping is done though

Stoyan Kirkov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The design is on onshape dot com .... Open source cad design, including sump, pumping, skimmer, filters, calcium reactor, etc.

Not all the piping is done though
Sorry, I'm not familiar with how it works on that website. I'll really appreciate if you can give me a bit more details. I want to make the same stand as yours for Red Sea 525.
Thank you

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the stand is 18mm smaller than the tank on the front and sides, so that doors can be flush with the glass.

It is designed by an engineer FOR an engineer.

In fact, the 80/20 people screwed up the order because they decided to change some lengths because they assumed I messed up. I did not, so 3 pieces had to be re-ordered.

I did record a video of assembly, but that won't help, because I don't identify the pieces.

Best I could do is a full set of drawings....

Stoyan Kirkov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the stand is 18mm smaller than the tank on the front and sides, so that doors can be flush with the glass.

It is designed by an engineer FOR an engineer.

In fact, the 80/20 people screwed up the order because they decided to change some lengths because they assumed I messed up. I did not, so 3 pieces had to be re-ordered.

I did record a video of assembly, but that won't help, because I don't identify the pieces.

Best I could do is a full set of drawings....
How much was the total cost to make it?

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thread guys! stumbled upin while looking how to change my rsr450 plumbing you guys are in another level

OP
OP
mindwalkr

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I replied to this thread over a year ago..... included a pic again, so you can match the two posts in your mind.

Tank frame for a Red Sea 525XL using 80/20 extruded aluminium section. The frame is 18mm too small on the sides and front, to allow for doors to be added.

I believe the OEM stand does this too. I plan to slap black IKEA doors on it after trimming them to size and using black melamine heat-bond tape to redo the edges that were cut.

1587332318904.png

Currently, it looks like this (half finished wiring):
Stand_01.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back