Removing salinity?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay im kinda confused about the procedd a little since im new so bear with me. I want to remove some water and replace with rodi. And im kinda confused about the process its my first sump. So do i mark where the water is right now in my sump? Where i like it to be? And then do the water change? And then when i fill the tank i keep my filling till i get to that line?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two buckets. One with RODI, one Empty. Use a cup or some kind of container. Take one scoop out, put it in the empty bucket. Then take one school out of the RODI, and put it in the tank. Give it 5-10 min to circulate and check Salinity. Depends how big the tank is.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems right on to me.
Mark running level, stop pump, remove water, refill to same level, restart pump, yup your good to go.

You can raise and lower salinity easily this way.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your salinity too high?
If so, go slow. What is it and what is your goal. Most folks keep their tank close too 1.025, that's what I shoot for as well. An auto top off will help keeping it stable by replacing evaporation with RODI

Mine was at 1.026 Went up to 1.028 because i didnt install the ato osmolator by tunze correctly it was too low. And its taking too much time to reach above the water level to go off. So salinity wen tto 1.028. Now im not sure how do i go about this

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was at 1.026 Went up to 1.028 because i didnt install the ato osmolator by tunze correctly it was too low. And its taking too much time to reach above the water level to go off. So salinity wen tto 1.028. Now im not sure how do i go about this
How large is your tank/sump?
BTW that is high but not cause for drastic change

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay im kinda confused about the procedd a little since im new so bear with me. I want to remove some water and replace with rodi. And im kinda confused about the process its my first sump. So do i mark where the water is right now in my sump? Where i like it to be? And then do the water change? And then when i fill the tank i keep my filling till i get to that line?
The way I have always set mine up is with a max fill line with everything running .
When the power goes out it will be at the highest level ( before over filling ) and when everything is turned on it will lower to the operating level .
be sure it’s never filled over this mark and you will be good to go .
As for water changes .
essentially you’re replacing the exact same volume that was removed .
be sure it’s at exactly the same salinity ( measured with a calibrated refractometer or other device )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 16

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw your other thread -- new setup with no livestock and (I think) ATO level not yet figured out.

I say you need to FIRST get your ATO sensor where you want it and figure out your "normal" water level.
After that has been running/working for some amount of time (maybe just a couple/few days) and maintaining your water level, then start dialing in your salinity.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I used to do it when setting up new tanks for customers is you stop the pump, add water until it's as high as you feel comfortable with (say, when you have a power outage), and then kick the pump on. Mark that running level on the sump as your high water level. You know it won't overflow if the pump cuts off.

Your low point will just be a little above where the pump starts sucking in air. As far above that as you feel comfortable. Now you know the two levels you need to stay between with top-offs. Top off with RODI.

If you need to lower the salinity in your tank, just take out some salt water and add some RODI. You can estimate how much to remove this way. Say you have 100 gallons at 35ppt salinity. Let's see how a 5 gallon water change would work out:

35 ppt x 95 gal = 3325 (we use 95 since this is how much salt water will be left after removal)
3325 / 100 gal = 33.25 ppt (we use 100 because this will be the new total volume)

Or just 35 x 0.95 will be the new salinity. Whatever makes the most sense to you.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back