Removing sand in an estsblished tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a long time ago and took tank water down to 4" and then removed using wet/dry shop vac

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just vacuumed it out with each water change.

216 cubic inches is a lot of sand for a 13 gal tank.

are you sure that is correct?

if it is correct you probably should go slower, maybe over 6-8 weeks

Alternatly, and this is probably a better option, just do a rip clean.

Stick the fish and rocks and coral in a bucket, rip everything out and rely on the bac on the rocks to do their job.

that will give a full tank reset which works all the time.

do a search for rip clean
I am very sure I did my math right as I had a math prof Prove it. Ill go slow over 8 weeks

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't listen to anybody that tells you not to do something because it is difficult. Just vacuum a bit out each water change and you should be fine. Take your time.

Good luck with your SPS journey!
Thanks! Ill vacuum bit by bit. Definitely going to get a red sea reefer 170 as someones selling the red sea reefer 170, stand, sump, lighting, skimmers, pumps, heaters, and fuge light for 150. Uncracked in perfect condition

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it over a few water changes with no issue. I think what will come into play more than how much sand you currently have is how well you've maintained it as far as cleaning it goes. If you never really did much to it, then it could be harder and I'd try to remove it all at once as mentioned above. If it's pretty clean then your fine to remove it slowly.

My thought process behind that is: Siphon out a section, the rest wont sit still. It's going to move with flow. If it's not clean and compacted with detritus ect, then you're going to end up with a nutrient spike, possibly ammonia, when the flow kicks on and starts moving the sand that's left nearby. If it's clean no real issue.

If you haven't done much and still want to take it slow I'd suggest prepping with a few water changes where you just siphon the sand very well. Basically until you've removed any really bad pockets. Then start pulling sand with water changes.

There are plenty of nano sps tanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it over a few water changes with no issue. I think what will come into play more than how much sand you currently have is how well you've maintained it as far as cleaning it goes. If you never really did much to it, then it could be harder and I'd try to remove it all at once as mentioned above. If it's pretty clean then your fine to remove it slowly.

My thought process behind that is: Siphon out a section, the rest wont sit still. It's going to move with flow. If it's not clean and compacted with detritus ect, then you're going to end up with a nutrient spike, possibly ammonia, when the flow kicks on and starts moving the sand that's left nearby. If it's clean no real issue.

If you haven't done much and still want to take it slow I'd suggest prepping with a few water changes where you just siphon the sand very well. Basically until you've removed any really bad pockets. Then start pulling sand with water changes.

There are plenty of nano sps tanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
if you are then my build thread will be updated and also thanks! I haven't touched the sand in 9ish months and my tanks 11 months. I do the slight stirring each day but thats about it

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the point! I'm a gear junky. It won't be longterm, only until the tank crashes eventually. I want a challenge and I feel it will be possible as long as I have an ato, auto doser, and my fine adjustment tools. All I need is the first two.
Ha, you are me 20 years ago.

If you're up to the task give it a shot.

Expect a lot of work and almost daily testing Alk, PO4 and NO3, but if you have the time and money shoot for the moon.

Anything is possible.

FWIW, I have an Evo 13.5 as well as a 90 gal, I spend a lot more time on the EVO 13.5 as the big tank has auto dosing controlled by a Profilux 4 along with a lot of other gadgets like the roller mat filter. I also stick to Soft and LPS corals in the small tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, you are me 20 years ago.

If you're up to the task give it a shot.

Expect a lot of work and almost daily testing Alk, PO4 and NO3, but if you have the time and money shoot for the moon.

Anything is possible.

FWIW, I have an Evo 13.5 as well as a 90 gal, I spend a lot more time on the EVO 13.5 as the big tank has auto dosing controlled by a Profilux 4 along with a lot of other gadgets like the roller mat filter. I also stick to Soft and LPS corals in the small tank.
I'm you 20 years ago and I'm me now! I'm going to start the removing process today

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually could I get lots of marine pure bricks and those hexagon cubes and cycle them in the tank for a couple weeks so I can remove more sand each time

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually could I get lots of marine pure bricks and those hexagon cubes and cycle them in the tank for a couple weeks so I can remove more sand each time
Not sure why you would need to do this. There is more than enough bacteria within the rockwork and adding bricks would be overcautious, I really think it's being overthought. I have stirred my entire sand bed after 3-4 months of neglect, right before a WC in my Evo. Drain the tank while the debris is in the water column. The largest change I have done was 4 gal and changed my floss a few times and have never had a loss or issue.

When I had dino's back in Feb, I pulled about 75% of the sand out in one shot with a fishnet again, no losses. I did do a 2 gal WC and replaced my floss a few times that day.

I'm sharing my experience with the same tank and fish load. I see a lot of doom and gloom about certain practices, where I don't believe it is justified at times with my experiences. However, you should take the precautions that you feel you need.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would need to do this. There is more than enough bacteria within the rockwork and adding bricks would be overcautious, I really think it's being overthought. I have stirred my entire sand bed after 3-4 months of neglect, right before a WC in my Evo. Drain the tank while the debris is in the water column. The largest change I have done was 4 gal and changed my floss a few times and have never had a loss or issue.

When I had dino's back in Feb, I pulled about 75% of the sand out in one shot with a fishnet again, no losses. I did do a 2 gal WC and replaced my floss a few times that day.

I'm sharing my experience with the same tank and fish load. I see a lot of doom and gloom about certain practices, where I don't believe it is justified at times with my experiences. However, you should take the precautions that you feel you need.
I will! Rather be over cautious than not safe. I'll get some marine pure gems and take out a bit more sand each time

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill vacuum bit by bit. Definitely going to get a red sea reefer 170 as someones selling the red sea reefer 170, stand, sump, lighting, skimmers, pumps, heaters, and fuge light for 150. Uncracked in perfect condition
That's a fantastic price. I love my 170, very versatile tank. Check out my build thread if you have any questions!

rd62rdstr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way to remove sand is using a smaller diameter hose and then sticking the hose down into the sand it’ll pick it up with minimal water and will not create the typical dust storm of pollutants that can harm your stock.

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started removing my sand in my tank maybe 15% so far. Noticed a spike in P04 is this related? or would removing sand decrease p04?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tank, sand grade (sugar sized or higher) and your choice. I have a 4 foot tank and had an inch of sand - been like that for 4 years. I only have SPS : mostly acropora.

I took my sand out in one go (~90%) : there was no spike in phosphates or nitrates whatsoever and it has gone unnoticed by the tank inhabitants (as judged for example by alkalinity consumption - which I measure every 3 hours). I then took the remaining 10% by siphoning it via micron filter sock sock placed in the sump over the next few days.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back