Removing the glass center brace on an Oceanic 120 gallon

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to remove the glass center brace on oceanic tanks? The glass blocks out some of the light and is just a pain to keep clean. Is it really needed?

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it! I had an old Oceanic 135 with a glass center-brace and it ended up cracking all the way through and you could see the tank bowing out! I ended up having to use angle brace and threaded rod to keep it from falling apart

OP
OP
JGoslee

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that stinks! I wanted to switch all my corals from my 90gal to my 120gal but with that glass brace on there it would really block a lot of the light right in the center of the tank. Guess I'm sticking with the 90gal.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't emphasize this enough!!!! Tank manufactures add the center brace and or plastic trim around tanks for a reason if you decide to remove it your flirting with disaster IMHO!!!! Even the plastic trim that most people say don't do anything it does and is there for a reason.....

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think its possable to do it if you wanted to take the time to remove the top trim and cut the old silicone off the brace but after removing you would have to have glass cut and euro brace it so it wouldnt bow

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the center brace and replace it with a different type of bracing like euro bracing. I agree with what others have said, you can't just get rid of it without causing problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back