Renton's Evolution from 200 to 440 gallons

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mushroom was looking extra happy today, so I took a picture. Pretty sure this is still just one big mushroom folded all over the place.

shC4KBkh.jpg

Is it killing that cyphastrea or whatever that coral is below it! Lol

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate, i'm interested in a Raja Rampage frag. Can we set up a meeting for a purchase?
Certainly, however all of the frags are reserved right now for the frag swap this weekend. If someone backs out/no shows I will let you know. Otherwise I should be able to cut another one in about a month. Are you in the Cleveland area?

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly, however all of the frags are reserved right now for the frag swap this weekend. If someone backs out/no shows I will let you know. Otherwise I should be able to cut another one in about a month. Are you in the Cleveland area?
I understand. I'm in Medina County. I'll be at LEAR this weekend, though won't get there before 2:30 p.m. Maybe I can get one there is someone backs out. Will you have a table set up?

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah @bubbaque , you got me. I couldn't stop thinking about a Co2 scrubber. So, I used some of my frag swap proceeds and I got myself one and set it up last night :) I got the Duo Jumbo one from BRS and boy it is big but I am hoping it will last a while between changes. I already saw some purple showing up this morning in the media. I am getting the plumbing to setup it up to draw the air in from the skimmer collection cup. (yes, I coppied my same post from your tread :) ).

I will add pictures of it tonight. Here is a video explaining what I am shooting for that @bubbaque recently made and more about his tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bubbas-sps-journey.353245/page-152:

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. I'm in Medina County. I'll be at LEAR this weekend, though won't get there before 2:30 p.m. Maybe I can get one there is someone backs out. Will you have a table set up?

No table, but I will be there all day.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah @bubbaque , you got me. I couldn't stop thinking about a Co2 scrubber. So, I used some of my frag swap proceeds and I got myself one and set it up last night :) I got the Duo Jumbo one from BRS and boy it is big but I am hoping it will last a while between changes. I already saw some purple showing up this morning in the media. I am getting the plumbing to setup it up to draw the air in from the skimmer collection cup. (yes, I coppied my same post from your tread :) ).

I will add pictures of it tonight. Here is a video explaining what I am shooting for that @bubbaque recently made and more about his tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bubbas-sps-journey.353245/page-152:
I am curious how this will go for you since you can monitor alk demand through your alkatronic.

What was your ph before the adding the scrubber?

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how this will go for you since you can monitor alk demand through your alkatronic.

What was your ph before the adding the scrubber?

My ph topped out around 8.1 and dropped to about 7.8. I bumped up the alk and calcium dosing just a bit already. I was surprised about how much media had stated to show purple after just 12 hours, that is what got me going on plumbing the air intake to the skimmer cup.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the Co2 scrubber about 38 hours ago. I would say that it is pretty clear that Alk demand increased. I have fallen out of my specified Alk range a couple of times since then and the Alkatronic has supplemented twice, and that is after I had already increased my dosing schedule in anticipation of increased demand.

Please note that while the Alkatronic is measuring my Alk between 9.0 and 9.3, in reality my Alk is more like 8.4 to 8.7. This is due to a slight calibration error by me either in calibrating the pumps or the reagent solution. It could be remedied by re-calibration, however I know what the measurement is off by so I am fine with it. As long as I stay in my programmed target range I am happy.

U2dKvVWh.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 scrubber update. I am starting to dial in Alk demand but it has noticeably risen since the implementation of the scrubber.

Here are a couple ugly pictures of it setup.
6cWMfJ8h.jpg

LJHnui7h.jpg

I went with the jumbo dual reactor, each side holds 6 cups of media for a total of 12 cups. I set it up Tuesday and I would estimate I am about 40% through the media, the first reactor has lots of purple media but the second reactor is still totally white. I plumbed the air intake into the skimmer cup to provide humid air to help the longevity of the media as well as to recycle some scrubber air, again increasing the longevity of the media. So far so good!

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a frag swap this weekend and picked up a few corals.

A fun yuma:
8bGIluxh.jpg

Cloud Berries Chalice:
6UKdmrNh.jpg

Vino Monti on the left, Mystery Monti on the right:
dFI4nsCh.jpg

Group shot:
S8yQzKfh.jpg

Other frags I got but did not get a good picture of:
Tyree Superman Tenuis
TSA Princess Peach
WWC Ding Dang Milli
Cherry Coral Voodoo Magic

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Speaking of file fish, this beautiful girl was swimming around at the surface while I was snapping some pictures. She is looking good for approaching 6 years old!!

Almost 6 years old!
pk7mBuSh.jpg

0QKFle7h.jpg

WS9LsvDh.jpg

I will be getting these for my tank down the road. One of my favorites

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back