OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No major updates. Some corals look good and are happy, some corals are grumpy. I put upgrade plans on hold with the whole virus craziness. I need to think out my tank and cut back some corals and rip out some invasive corals.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No major updates. Some corals look good and are happy, some corals are grumpy. I put upgrade plans on hold with the whole virus craziness. I need to think out my tank and cut back some corals and rip out some invasive corals.
What size tank are you thinking about upgrading to?

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have been kicking around:

Display Tank & Stand
108" long x 40" wide x 26" tall
Front Panel - Low Iron glass
Black vinyl background
Ghost (or similar overflow) with removable weir
4 Returns drilled in back, 3/4"

32" tall Aluminum powder coated stand

Frag Tank & Stand
60" long x 30" wide x 18" tall - Peninsula Style
No Star Fire
Black vinyl background
2 returns drrilled in back, 3/4"

30" tall Aluminum powder coated stand

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I have been kicking around:

Display Tank & Stand
108" long x 40" wide x 26" tall
Front Panel - Low Iron glass
Black vinyl background
4 Returns drilled in back, 3/4"

32" tall Aluminum powder coated stand

Frag Tank & Stand
60" long x 30" wide x 18" tall - Peninsula Style
No Star Fire
Black vinyl background
2 returns drrilled in back, 3/4"

30" tall Aluminum powder coated stand
Sounds nice, are you going to stick with AGE?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done a Triton test so that was part of it. The other was that I have lost several chalice colonies over the past 9 months or so like the Jellybean, Crazy Fox and My Miami. They would start with a light faded spot and it would spread across the chalice over time. It seemed contagious and I talked to some people and they were aware of that type of occurrence and called it "The Fade" and theorized it was a virus or bacteria infection. Anyways, I wanted to see if something was funky chemistry wise just to rule it out.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After pausing plans thanks to COVID, I am getting back in the swing of things of the upgrade, planning the layout of the tanks.

lrlzXgvh.jpg

First thing is first though, we are going to replace the carpet with tile. Depending on when we can get that completed, I will be working on the upgrade timeline.

After visiting Tidal Gardens a few times and seeing the closed loops on their systems, I am planning on adding 2 closed loops powered by Vectra L2s on the display tank and one closed loop on the frag tank. My hope is to eliminate as many cords and pumps on the inside of the tank.

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. New tanks/lights (Orphek Atlantiks) /stands/sump and random other pieces are ordered. Still a lot more to get. Tanks should arrive in about 8 weeks.

In the mean time the carpet is going to be replaced with tile in the family room/aquarium room/ or as I named it when turning on lights in that room, the "Dragon Lair" (yes, to turn lights on in that room my wife must say "Okay google, turn on Dragon Lair lights" :) ). The flooring process is going to require most of the room to be tiled, then moving the aquariums across the room so the floor tile can be completed.

The down side is that I have to move a 200 gallon and a 80 gallon aquarium across the room. The upside is that I can keep them running while getting the new tanks setup and cycled.

I have started selling and removing some corals to make the whole tank move a bit less stressfull. I also scraped off the monti's that had encrusted the back of the tank so that there is less chance of a large die off during the tank move. Scraping the monti's was not an easy task but nothing provided more excitement for me this weekend then when this big chunk broke off suddenly in one piece saving me time and scraping effort.

xFulaPHh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not exactly a tank update, but it is an update on the process of getting the new tanks.

As of a few days ago the fish room, aka the dragon's lair had carpet as seen here:

shrzP4ah.jpg

fh99YeAh.jpg

Now carpet is gone exposing some vintage linoleum tiles:

gVpz3bBh.jpg

8OBe9Nvh.jpg

In about a week the new porcelain tile will be going in:

7uJD4yoh.jpg

On August 15th I am planing to move the current tanks across the room onto the new tile. That will allow for the tile to be finished under their current location. Some time after that the new tanks will arrive and be placed in the area that the current tanks occupy. I will hopefully be able to keep the current tanks running for a little while while the new system settles in.

The room will still remain the Dragon's lair and I hope to add more dragons :)

8fPEfMhh.jpg

rh5wbTzh.jpg

OP
OP
Renton777

Renton777

Polyp Nipper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress towards getting the room ready for the new tanks continues and some supplies are arriving.

UmqbTOEh.jpg

totLRunh.jpg

Lots of 1.5" and 1" valves, gates and unions.

CoiOdqZh.jpg

XYUDh6Th.jpg

fXuRwTHh.jpg

I bought 4 used (for saltwater only) 100 gallon tubs. They had several holes drilled in them that I had not anticipated and some leaky fittings. I just ordered some uniseals that should help the situation, it would have been cheaper just to buy the tubs new.....oh well. I will be using the tubs as temporary holding stations when I move the current tanks across the room to make way for the floor to be finished and the new tanks to be placed.

yySxXM5h.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back