Replacing all my rocks..

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all.

Ive got a terrible issue with Vermitid snails and I am now defo on the back foot! My intentions are to remove all my rocks that they are on and replace it all.

How difficult will it be to do that? Will my tank recycle? Will I have to cure the other rock first? Would live rock be best?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a rock out, remove snail, replace and onto the next rock. Easiest and no worries of recycle/

I had considered doing this but in my excitement to set up the tank (I was new to hobby and didnt plan a scape correctly) I just chucked in 2 BIG rocks. They have been in there for a year now so they are well established. So they would have to be out of the water for quite some time given the size of the vermatid problem...its bad! I also want to use it as a chance to rescape with something that I like.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails can be managed to some degree by manually removing them, gluing tubes shut....etc.

I have to say this, there is a possibility of reintroducing them after replacing your rock with new, by hitchhiking on corals, equipment....etc. Not to say you couldn't do it and be successful, but be aware that it's a possibility.

If replacing all the rock with dry rock, I would definitely "cure" it before use.

OP
OP
IntuMarine1G

IntuMarine1G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snails can be managed to some degree by manually removing them, gluing tubes shut....etc.

I have to say this, there is a possibility of reintroducing them after replacing your rock with new, by hitchhiking on corals, equipment....etc. Not to say you couldn't do it and be successful, but be aware that it's a possibility.

If replacing all the rock with dry rock, I would definitely "cure" it before use.

Yeah that could easliy happen. However I have bumblebee snails in there who are apparently better at preventing and outbreak than they are at tackling one (as they havent touched any lol), so hopefully that would be ok.

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had I case that was so bad that they was in my my overflow and plumbing, if you truly want to rid them I would restart the whole tank that's what I did, bleach the tank, extreme but works, or just deal with them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back