Replacing failed Red Sea Reefer 350 with new waterbox or another RSR?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Reefer 350 (original version) that failed after 5 years with a catastrophic seem failure. I contacted Red Sea and the best they would do is to give me 33% off the price of a new G2 RSR 350 ($790).

I'm looking to replace the tank with either a Red Sea Reefer 425 xl G2 ($2999 - $790) or I am considering the newly released Waterbox Infina 150 (basically same dimensions and price is also $2999 without a discount). I have a custom trigger platinum sump already on the reefer with roller mat and plan to use it on the new tank and put custom plumbing on it.

Would you guys trust another Red Sea tank after what happened? I heard the G2s are better. I'm torn on if the discount is worth the risk
I already know how to upgrade the plumbing in Red Sea tanks. Are WBs just as easy to upgrade? Do you like the cabinet design? I have a full apex control and controller board in the RSR 350 currently. I have a few pumps screwed into the side walls on the RSR cabinet. Is the open cabinet on the WB a plus or minus in your opinion?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a Red Sea owner (425 XL G1) in this situation I would go with a Waterbox. If the discount was more generous it would be a tougher decision but after 5 years even disregarding the failure I think I would try something else.
G2's appear to be better engineered but it's too early to say for certain.

Russell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat now. My Red Sea reefer seam failed on the right side leaving about 10 inches of water thankfully. I have contacted red sea and it’s been a week with no response. The local fish store told me the front glass was too thin, causing the front glass to bow/warp, creating mor pressure on the seams, resulting in the seams to fail. They clearly stated that they have made the glass thicker, and it looks like the thicker seams they used on just the bottom of the old tanks are now use on all inner seams. Knowing that, I would feel more comfortable buying another reefer but only if they discounted it enough to be worth it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I feel the blog writers must disclose the trend, so buyers know just how much of a serious pattern this is

most of these split seam owners don't know about the 12 page thread of split seams, or the 61 page thread of split seams...it's been hidden from buyers while the rollout for new G2 takes takes priority.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that scares the crap out of me, received a 250 g2 less than 3 months ago, keeping the aquarium together should be priority number one

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Reefer 350 (original version) that failed after 5 years with a catastrophic seem failure. I contacted Red Sea and the best they would do is to give me 33% off the price of a new G2 RSR 350 ($790).

I'm looking to replace the tank with either a Red Sea Reefer 425 xl G2 ($2999 - $790) or I am considering the newly released Waterbox Infina 150 (basically same dimensions and price is also $2999 without a discount). I have a custom trigger platinum sump already on the reefer with roller mat and plan to use it on the new tank and put custom plumbing on it.

Would you guys trust another Red Sea tank after what happened? I heard the G2s are better. I'm torn on if the discount is worth the risk
I already know how to upgrade the plumbing in Red Sea tanks. Are WBs just as easy to upgrade? Do you like the cabinet design? I have a full apex control and controller board in the RSR 350 currently. I have a few pumps screwed into the side walls on the RSR cabinet. Is the open cabinet on the WB a plus or minus in your opinion?
Innovative marine If you can want to go name brand

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is going to acknowledge the break pattern or the social pressure won't let up. I'll soon get it written about/bet/all it takes is pressing in the right places.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a hundred gallons of saltwater in your home is a risk no matter what tank you have. Some of y'all need to stop beating this horse..
Exactly, it is a risk and consumers need to be knowledgeable about the products they van choose from. People should also be aware of companies who do not provide high quality products or properly support customers who have issues.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's test something

I predict within ten days we get a new break mentioned on the site. I'll update here when it happens, to test the prediction. If these can be banked on to snap, ahead of time, I'd say it's a bad investment.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you tied to only those two options? I had a Red Sea 525xl and I still have a SCA 90. I liked the SCA tank and stand over the Red Sea. In your shoes I would be looking at the SCA 120 and 150 also.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why rimless? No silicone on earth can hold that much water back

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting to reuse your sump etc you can see if waterbox custom would work. May be able to buy the tank and stand without the sump and save a few bucks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back