Replacing rock during late stages of a cycle

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

My tanks is cycling for the last 2 months. I have passed the diatoms stage about 2-3 weeks ago and there have been no major changes since (there's still some diatoms around).
About a week ago I added 1st fish (Chromis) and I also have 2 hermits, 2 nassarius snails, and some other snails
I have some zoas, organ tubes, and a leatherhead coral, all seem to be healthy and growing, fish is eating and seems happy.

Today whilst reading about the hobby I realized I was sold some rocks that are not meant for reefing. It's "Malawi rock" from the Philippines, I need to replace it.
How should I do it?

Should I go with live rock and risk potential hitchhikers?

Shall I go with dead rock, rinse it well and add it to the tank?

Shall I cycle it outside the tank and then put it in? (least preferred option by me, but if absolutely necessary I'll do it)

Until now I have been keeping the tank "sterile" as much as I could, so I'm wary of adding live rock, but I do not want to lose my cycling progress and potentially endanger the fish or corals.

I have live sand and my back filter is filled with lava rock and porous filter media so if I understand correctly by removing these rocks the tank will not lose much of the bacteria.

Please let me know your thoughts and how would you do it

Thank you!

IMG_20200907_213158 (1).jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that rock doesn't look like the best stuff, personally I would replace it. OK you want a sterile tank, got it. Live rock is better, period! In order to keep your tank pest free I recommend that you quarantine the live rock and pick out any unwanted pests. A freshwater or high salinity dip can also make pests fall off.

You said your willing to cure some dry rock separately so qting the LR should be doable and will take less time imo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back