Replicating ai fuge spectrum/par with normal ai prime?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up either a used ai prime or new ai fuge this weekend. Trying to up my fuge game.

I wanted to see if it would be pretty easy to replicate the ai fuge par and spectrum with a prime? I got a good deal on one and would like to move forward if it's a viable fuge light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can emulate the spectrum but not the same PAR at that spectrum

Contrary to popular opinion a "fuge" spectrum isn't really necessary.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can emulate the spectrum but not the same PAR at that spectrum

Contrary to popular opinion a "fuge" spectrum isn't really necessary.
Is the problem that the par is too little or too much?

All things considered, will a normal prime be as effective at growing macro as a kessil 80 flora or ai fuge?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in your fuge? If it's just cheato the only light you need is either cool white or red. Either / or. Macros don't care. Been recent threads on this and many of us are growing cheato like crazy with just generic, cool white shop lights in the 20 watt range that cost less than $20 and are water tight to boot. Cool white LED is mostly blue with smidge of green.

The 80 Flora is a boutique light meant to show off a houseplant. Anybody that spends $130 on a 15watt LED module for a fuge needs an intervention. The AI is just a prime with mostly red diodes. Much more powerful than the Kessil, but you can still save a lot of money just getting shop lights.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in your fuge? If it's just cheato the only light you need is either cool white or red. Either / or. Macros don't care. Been recent threads on this and many of us are growing cheato like crazy with just generic, cool white shop lights in the 20 watt range that cost less than $20 and are water tight to boot. Cool white LED is mostly blue with smidge of green.

The 80 Flora is a boutique light meant to show off a houseplant. Anybody that spends $130 on a 15watt LED module for a fuge needs an intervention. The AI is just a prime with mostly red diodes. Much more powerful than the Kessil, but you can still save a lot of money just getting shop lights.
red ogo and ulva. My current light (typical grow light from amazon) has definitely not done a good job with the chaeto I've kept in the past and I can tell it's not doing a good job with the ogo and ulva.

I know I would most likely do fine with a more powerful light from home depot or something but given the red pigment and just past failures I want to make sure the light is not the problem. So should I be able to grow macro well with a normal ai prime?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red ogo and ulva. My current light (typical grow light from amazon) has definitely not done a good job with the chaeto I've kept in the past and I can tell it's not doing a good job with the ogo and ulva.

I know I would most likely do fine with a more powerful light from home depot or something but given the red pigment and just past failures I want to make sure the light is not the problem. So should I be able to grow macro well with a normal ai prime?
Interesting question.
Red Algae have a different action spectrum than green.
AbsorptionAndActionSpectra.gif

The "PUR" curve is almost inverted more like the lux/lumen curve.
A normal AI Prime seems a good compromise.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a $25 Amazon light that’s been going great for me.
737BFC87-C4BF-44DB-A9D8-F79CC42E4C2C.png

Spending hundreds for something that stays hidden and is only for growing a plant is not very sensible.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question.
Red Algae have a different action spectrum than green.
AbsorptionAndActionSpectra.gif

The "PUR" curve is almost inverted more like the lux/lumen curve.
A normal AI Prime seems a good compromise.
That’s helpful, I’m going to go with the prime. It’s a really good price on it too. I’m sure I can replicate whatever spectrum the fuge light has with it and make tweaks to better accommodate the ogo.

Waiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s helpful, I’m going to go with the prime. It’s a really good price on it too. I’m sure I can replicate whatever spectrum the fuge light has with it and make tweaks to better accommodate the ogo.
Hi bro did you have any luck even im getting a cheap ai prime normal one , also can you share your spectrum settings

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back