Requesting Algae ID

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of fighting off Dinos, I have noticed that another type of algae is starting to flourish. Most likely due to my increase in nitrates and phosphates. I would like to know what it is though if anyone is kind of enough to ID for me. Also, I would like recommendations on how to get rid of it knowing that I may have to wait until my Dinos are gone first.

Below is a video of the algae in the tank and some pictures of the algae under my microscope.

MVIMG_20191113_152408.jpg

IMG_20191113_151744.jpg

IMG_20191113_151541.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gha. Cerith and trochus snails are good at eating it along with gold ring cowries (aka money cowries).

Glad to see the scales at tipping in your favor against dinos.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I had a number of those snails, but they all died after the Dino outbreak. I'd love to replenish my stock, but I fear that they would just die too unless I get rid of the remaining Dinos first so that's the plan.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I had a number of those snails, but they all died after the Dino outbreak. I'd love to replenish my stock, but I fear that they would just die too unless I get rid of the remaining Dinos first so that's the plan.
I’d agree that you need to get rid of the Dino’s first!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If livestock is dying then run GAC to get rid of the toxins they release. Don't do a water change though. Water changes will give dinos a boost. Run half the recommended GAC dose and change weekly. How long were the dinos in your tank?

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If livestock is dying then run GAC to get rid of the toxins they release. Don't do a water change though. Water changes will give dinos a boost. Run half the recommended GAC dose and change weekly. How long were the dinos in your tank?

They are still in the tank and have been for nearly 6 months. I am running GAC already. I suspect that the snails died from the toxins after eating some of the DINOs. Hard to say.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still in the tank and have been for nearly 6 months. I am running GAC already. I suspect that the snails died from the toxins after eating some of the DINOs. Hard to say.

It was definitely the dinos. Nothing can sustain a diet of dinos. I don't know for sure how long it takes to rid the tank of toxins, but I recommend running GAC for a month after all visible signs of dinos are gone before trying another snail. Some are more sensitive to dino toxins than others. I suggest a trochus or money cowrie first as they have proven to be more resistant for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back