Rescape and dosing

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lft hand side of my tanks LR is just piled on top of each other. I wanna rescape and then milliput it together to create more height and shape. I feel itwould be much easier outside the tank, but then I have the issue of it drying it and putting it back in the tank while the milliput is still soft so they would just break apart as I lift it. How long can rock be out of water without any damaging effects, and anyway to safely move it or should I just do it all in tank?

Dosing- I noticed my calc was low (290) but mag and dhk was fine. My tank otherwise is ready for fish with bacteria cycled etc. Can I get fish before I buy a doser? And then set up the doser as it will take a while to drill some Tupperware, get the chemicals to mix, find a cheap second hand doser etc. And ideally I would like the couple of clowns before I go back to school. Would the fish have a problem with the low calcium? Hoping to get a doser within a couple months unless I can find another way that works.
Thanks

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :D Aquascaping is easier outside of the tank but If you take your rock out and dry it you will need to start cycle over again.. no need to worry about cal until your tank is full of calcium depleting corals, your fish could care less

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R :D Aquascaping is easier outside of the tank but If you take your rock out and dry it you will need to start cycle over again.. no need to worry about cal until your tank is full of calcium depleting corals, your fish could care less

Thank you, been lurking for a while so I guess I forgot to introduce myself lol.
If I removed the rock but spray occasionally with salt water so it stays damp, it should be ok right? Don’t have my fish but want to get some a couple days after the rescape.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, been lurking for a while so I guess I forgot to introduce myself lol.
If I removed the rock but spray occasionally with salt water so it stays damp, it should be ok right? Don’t have my fish but want to get some a couple days after the rescape.

Yes if you keep it wet/damp the bacteria should be ok while you finish your scape.. I would spray it with water from your tank not fresh mixed, take your time on stocking.. rushing in reefing almost always ends badly

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Thanks you, have had the tank set up and ready for about 3 months but have withheld getting fish until I’m back from holiday. In a few days I’m back and would ideally like a small rescape and then get 2 clowns before I go back to school about a week later. It’s a 200l and I’m going for only tank bred so I’ll definitely take my time as take time to find the fish anyway lol. Cheers

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are options like plumbing epoxy putty that can be applied underwater. May people use it or something similar for mounting frags.

If you feel up for it, you could totally do it under water. The only hard part about outside of the tank is getting it back into the tank. I don't think this will be possible without letting the rock and (whatever you are using to hold it together) to cure and therefore dry, killing beneficial microfauna.

Good luck either way you choose and welcome!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back