Rescued coral in bad shape, covered in gha, HALP!!!

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I bought a large tank off someone and he threw in the coral he had. Its in pretty rough shape. Its in a quarantine tank. Ive got zoas, mushrooms, and an unknown favia covered in gha. I removed as much as I could with a toothbrush and does the tank with Reef Flux for a little over a week and not much has changed. The mushrooms are doing fine, the zoas are making a comeback but the favia is looking dull and the tissue is receding from where the gha was. I did a peroxide dip 4 days ago and that too has not changed much. Any tricks or pointers? Thanks!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so I bought a large tank off someone and he threw in the coral he had. Its in pretty rough shape. Its in a quarantine tank. Ive got zoas, mushrooms, and an unknown favia covered in gha. I removed as much as I could with a toothbrush and does the tank with Reef Flux for a little over a week and not much has changed. The mushrooms are doing fine, the zoas are making a comeback but the favia is looking dull and the tissue is receding from where the gha was. I did a peroxide dip 4 days ago and that too has not changed much. Any tricks or pointers? Thanks!
Stony corals like this favia may take a while to bounce back. Just make sure to snap the coral off the old frag base/plug (if its attached to one). If its a larger piece by itself, you might need a saw to cut of the dead parts. If you don’t have a saw, you could try asking a lfs that has one for help.

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we see a picture?
zoas.jpg
favia.jpg
favia2.jpg

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just wondering if its actually a lobophyllia? Most of my lps are galaxeas, euphyllias and blastos so I can’t be certain but the skeleton reminds me of a lobo.
Yeah now that you say it I think youre right. The guy who gave it to me didnt tell me much about it.

Storm Trooper Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing what some corals can come back from. just takes time and TLC. These Debbie Downers can be taken to the Sarlacc. I've had multiple sticks and LPS that made it back. Just leave it alone, lower the flow, dose aminos (Fuel and AB+ are some of my favorites) and wait. Some hungry CUC can help to clear up the Algae and give it a better chance.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing what some corals can come back from. just takes time and TLC. These Debbie Downers can be taken to the Sarlacc. I've had multiple sticks and LPS that made it back. Just leave it alone, lower the flow, dose aminos (Fuel and AB+ are some of my favorites) and wait. Some hungry CUC can help to clear up the Algae and give it a better chance.
+1 Since this is a QT and not the DT, no harm in just leaving it there. Although, I don’t see much hope but no harm letting it be in the QT. Who knows it might bounce back.

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, a little update. Lost the big ones, so far the mushrooms and zoas are doing well. Ive since moved the mushrooms and baby rbta's to my nano to chill until I finish the quarantine for the fish and setting up the mac daddy red sea reefer xl 425. Thanks for the advice everyone.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back