Research is my Frienemy -- Trying to get Started

Nijessi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings All!

I have been a lurker on R2R for a couple months now and I am really amazed at the community and knowledge base here. It is to that powerful hivemind that I now humbly ask assistance :)

I am trying to start my journey into reefing. I have had freshwater tanks in the past up to 40 gallons -- currently I only have a small 10 gallon freshwater with a beta, couple corys and snails. In addition to the watery pets my home is also host to a ball python, african grey parrot, 2 fancy rats, and three dogs. So my daily and weekly pet maintenance is already a baked in part of my life. That realization struck me and lead me to finally consider what has been my secret desire for a reef tank. I have been hitting up the LFS in my area (and some a bit beyond my immediate area), watching videos and reading forums. I work in tech so data and research are a big part of what I do. Unfortunately that trait, which is normally my super power, has lead me to near paralysis trying to decide on the best way to move forward.

My initial thought was a midsize tank that was an AIO so I could test the waters as it were - particularly I was looking at the Red sea max e-170. I'm most interested in coral and as for fish I'm a huge fan of colorful and pairs/schools. As I began imagining it in my space, pricing it out, and looking at others I realized that I would likely end up wanting a bigger tank in short order if things go well for 2 reasons. First, a bigger tank 100-120 would look much better in my home (its a "great room" style living area) and second, I like to build with tech. A larger tank with a sump would scratch both of those itches and, I thought, would allow me to plan out a basic build with an upgrade plan over the next couple years (add a doser, reactor, etc). I also had several LFS employees discuss the benefits of maintaining parameters in a larger tank vs small/mid-size. I didn't want to invest in smaller tank that would just be replaced in a year. This lead me to start considering the Nuvo INT 100 from Innovative Marine -- almost pulled the trigger on that yesterday but my LFS said that they weren't able to order it. So I went home looking to order it online and got stuck in the research rabbit hole again -- learned about SC Aquariums and started looking at their options. I sent them an email for some more information (I prefer aluminum or real wood stands...well, my spouse does....and canopies aren't really my thing). While I'm waiting for their response I began to wonder if it would make more sense to get a smaller tank and spend the budget on getting great electronics that I could then use on a future big tank build RATHER than getting a big tank with just the basics. Then I made the mistake of plumbing Facebook marketplace for used aquariums and equipment -- when I found myself looking at a Red Sea S-650 new that was 2 hours drive from me I stepped away from the keyboard. I realized I was now just floundering around and way afield from where I started.

SO, I'm looking for advice, guidance, even just a "chill bro" -- I'm finally at a place where I can get into a hobby I've wanted for a long time and I don't want to start the journey on the wrong foot. Any sage wisdom would be appreciated.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...just to be safe, you're trying to figure out what the"best" tank size is for you? It seems to me that you have a lot of high-maintenance pets with high socialization needs (parrot, dogs, rats), so you might want a larger system and to automate stuff, if only to cut down on a lot of the work required. At the same time, I think you might benefit from getting something like a 10 gallon system + sump in order to learn the basics for corals/inverts, since while it's easy(bad) to change water parameters, it's also easy(good) to change water parameters if a situation comes up.

My recommendation is for you to figure out a potential stocking list of fish/corals, and see how big of a system that they'll need. You could then start out with a tank that you can convert into a sump (ex. 40 breeder or 55 gallon), or is relatively cheap (10 gallons), and begin the process of figuring out how to keep corals, in addition to maybe some of the smaller fish as well. You can take this opportunity to invest in equipment that will benefit you if you upgrade as well so it's not a complete waste of money (think: RO/DI unit, dosing equipment, mixing station, etc.).

Back