Restarting a 120 reef ready after 6 years off.

Dgunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm not new to the hobby, just trying to play "catch up".
I've had reef tanks since the late 80's while in college. I started keeping aquatic animals after bringing home a leopard frog from college that was supposed to be used in a lab experiment.
Each group was asked to guilotine the live frogs and attach electric current to the legs and watch them move. Our lab instructor said that if we couldn't kill the animals we could take them home. I soon added goldfish to his tank, which lead to a freshwater tank, then a saltwater tank and finally added live rock and corals that were available from a lfs. At the time, about 1988, live rock came from Florida, Hawaii and Mexico. I used a trickle filter with Biopack media and filter floss, lighting was 40 actinic white and actinic bulbs in a shop light fixture, then power compact bulbs. Skimming was hang-on the back Turbofloater .
All of the information that was available was through the advice of the fish store owner or monthly publications like Marine Fish Monthly - there was no internet at the time. I taught middle school science for a few years and used the tank as a teaching aid in the classroom.

Fast forward to the 2000's, I reset up the 75 gallon tank that I had in Arizona after college when I moved to Ohio. The tank was an in-wall in the basement of our home with a nice fish room area behind it. I upgraded to a 90 gallon and finally a 120 over the course of a few years. I also tried keeping a 210 gallon tank for about a year but I found that it was too expensive to stock and maintain.
Eventually I settled on the 120 gallon tank with built in Megaflows due to the footprint size and ease of keeping.
A lot of the rock and sand was moved from tank to tank as I upgraded. Lighting was T12 VHO, then MH then a T5 8 bulb fixture.
I took down the 120 gallon to prepare for a move in 2014 and sold all of the live rock corals and fish, I some of the pumps, lights, tank and misc. heaters, plumbing parts, testing supplies etc.

After retiring a year ago I feel that it is time to reset up what remains of equipment, add a few items and some coral frags and a few fish. I'd like to go slow this time around and find the best deals on equipment and not cause any problems from the start like I've had to deal with in the past.

Things have changed somewhat since I left the hobby 6 years ago. LED lighting was at its infancy, DC pumps were just starting to come on, wave pumps were becoming more popular, bare bottom tanks were becoming more common place. I have discovered a valuable asset in the BRS videos that I have been watching, and with what I've read online.

I would like to start a build thread soon so I've been snapping a few pictures of the remaining equipment and tank and how I'm setting up the new system.
078.jpg

I never hung out on this forum before, mostly RC back in the day, so I hope to meet some new friends.
Doug

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Love the tank and the cat just chilling watching it. Haha. A lot has changed in 6 years but I am sure it will be like riding a bike. Glad to have another experienced reefer join us. Looking forward to your build thread!!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always great to see someone come back to the hobby. Welcome! This community and the BRS videos are what have guided me in my three years in the hobby so far.

What part of ohio are you in? There are some amazing fish stores around Dayton and Cincinnati. A very active fish club as well in central ohio and a decent one in CIncinnati/NKY.

OP
OP
Dgunn

Dgunn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! step away for a couple of hours and 18 replies! This IS a "friendly" forum!

The picture at the bottom of the post was from 2009. I was looking at some of the oldest pictures that I had on my computer in Google Photos and found some of the early ones from 2005 - I attached one below.

Those days seemed so much easier...
When I started to try hard to grow SPS things seemed to go downhill.
Maybe it was the two 400 watt Radiums over the 120 that were due to be replaced,
or because I just had "old rock".
But most likely I just didn't have enough time to devote to keeping up with the tank. I would mostly walk by and add a couple of cubes of mysis shrimp on a daily basis and think about how much I was spending on electricity!

This is going to be a chance to start fresh though.
Since I'm retired now I will have more time to devote to keeping up with things.

Albano, do you remember "trickle filters" with spray bars?

CasaReefer, I wouldn't say that I'm smart, I just like to read about other people's experiences and tinker... like so many others in this hobby!

JBKReef, I'm east of Columbus. I used to attend a few of CORA's events, including the yearly frag swap.

BeejReef, a couple of the students "rescued the frogs" some released them into the wild since they were common to the area. I believe that they were purchased from Carolina Biological Supply so be used specifically for those types of experiments. Interestingly the TA was a Quaker and didn't believe in violence.
382.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back