Restarting my 14 Gal Biocube

Megadriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Just joined, and wanted to start a thread to document my journey with a 14gal biocube. I originally started this tank about 10 years ago in college, and eventually had to break it down due to graduating and getting a real job that required a whole bunch of traveling across the country. I am now fairly settled and am super excited to finally pick up the hobby again. I used to have a clamp on metal halide lamp, which I enjoyed but ran way too hot.

I ordered a 100w LED clamp on (link below), and my tank has been cycling for about a week with a nice 8lb chunk of liverock and some live sand.

I ordered some Fritz turbo start 900 and some ammonia to kickoff my cycle, since not much has happened over the past week in terms of nitrites and nitrates (tests are still reading 0).

I did see the first signs of life in the tanks today- some copepods on the glass and some amphipods on the rocks. The tiniest bit of brown (diatoms?) are starting to appear on the liverock. All in all very exciting! I can't wait to finish the cycle so I can add a hermie or two and a few snails.... I don't plan to add fish for at least a month or two, and then maybe some soft corals and LPS later on down the road.

I also threw in a few mangrove seedlings because they are cool and because biological filtration!

Anyways, I'm just excited to be here and excited to have a little reef tank again

PXL_20210304_121340604.jpg

bigdeeezyyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! Cant wait to see the progression of your tank. I am also setting up a 14G BIOCUBE for my kids and currently gathering info to get it going

Back